Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Krispy

Ho damn Mars stuff HERE!

Apparently something BIG was found by Curiosity. I'm getting excited. Prolly life right? Little green guys? Or maybe Jimmy Hoffa. I for one can't wait for an early Christmas in December!

NPR story:
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=165513016&m=165545214

Article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/20/mars-rover-curiosity-discovery_n_2167207.html

If it's traces of tinsel paper and reindeer droppings, that means we're close to discovering the location of Santa's workshop.

Oh boy, a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT from nasa? Every time they've done this it's been something trite and mundane or something everyone already knew or presumed, like small water flows on mars when it gets warm there. IIRC that was a BIG reveal from them last year.

I'm willing to bet the the announcement is that they found traces of phosphates or something equally boring.

With that said I'm still convinced microbial life exists on mars right now, probably at some depth below the surface which is responsible for the methane production.

Maybe it's the fossilized remains of a Cacodemon or Imp? *jokes*
But seriously, though, some kind of fossils.
I honestly can't hide my excitement and anticipation of their revelations.

Why can't they just give a general report now? I know they don't want public discourse becoming filled with speculative garbage based on limited information, but it's still annoying that they feel the need to hold back info. :/

Quast said:

Every time they've done this it's been something trite and mundane or something everyone already knew or presumed, like small water flows on mars when it gets warm there.

Isn't it a good thing when presumptions like that are confirmed as empirical facts?

I do agree, the major Mars-related discoveries of late have at best invoked an "Ah, that's cool" kind of response for me, instead of sheer awe like those people who were lucky enough to watch Armstrong's literal moonwalk on TV when it was originally aired must have experienced. But if baby steps are headed in the right direction, progress is progress.

DoomUK said:

Isn't it a good thing when presumptions like that are confirmed as empirical facts?

100% absolutely. But what I'm getting at is nasa isn't doing themselves any favors with this strategy of telling the media of a BIG HUGE announcement weeks prior to doing so, even if it is confirming presumptions.

Announcing an announcement is just stupid period.

Sodaholic said:

Why can't they just give a general report now? I know they don't want public discourse becoming filled with speculative garbage based on limited information, but it's still annoying that they feel the need to hold back info. :/

This.

Maybe they've found a glowing red pad with a pentacle on it. When they step through it, they emerge on Phobos.

Seriously, despite the unbelievably annoying voices of the NPR report team which sound like some kind of computer speech synthesiser, let's keep our fingers crossed they found evidence of life.

In December 2012, we may be told that we aren't alone any more.

Sodaholic said:

You really don't know how creationists would take it if NASA went up and said "We found Methanogens" do you?

Sodaholic said:

Any shades of grey are lost once the story gets to the public and the press. It makes sense that they would spend time triple-checking everything before doing any kind of announcement (and I'm glad they are!). I'm sure don't want to end up in a situation like this.

This also shows it's important to triple-check stuff before making an announcement about it. "We've found something really neat! It's a signal beacon from an alien civilization weird type of neutron star!"

They found Doom 4 up there, where Carmack has been secretly beavering away at it whilst his inferior clone disappoints with BFG edition. NASA are having a play themselves before releasing it to the public, but it's rumoured to be damn playable.

MajorRawne said:

Maybe they've found a glowing red pad with a pentacle on it. In December 2012, we may be told that we aren't alone any more.

... And the next headline will read: "Hell On Earth" !
Or rather, that's what the Mayans must've been thinking. LOL

Maybe it found dinosaurs? Some might have migrated to mars during prehistoric apocalypse here. Or maybe even evolved there by themselves.