Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaikoten

Most time played in a game?

Of non-competetive games i'd list jRPGs like Disgaea series (200 hours poured into each of 4 main games at least) and Final Fantasy series. I like maxing everything out and 100%ing the game, which usually takes a lot of grinding and hoping for drops (this is the reason why i do not touch MMORPGs with a 500m stick). Morrowind, 300 hours or so. ~500 hours for diablo2 singleplayer (lol) as well.
Now for competetive games. Quake1 speedrunning was the first seriously hardcore activity i have invested thousands of hours into, eventually getting a combined totaltime of 12:4x on nightmare difficulty, which i was really proud of, but never submitted anywhere. Q2 i loved, but havent played that much, while Q3 took away few thousands as well.
Little shareware game Elasto Mania is the biggest sink i've thrown my time into so far. As simple as this game may look, i think it'd be safe to say it's at least as complex as q1&hl skillwise, and world records are harder to beat. I've been playing it for 10 years and a half, spending 8-10 hours a day in my first 3 years, and less and less with each consequent year. Nowadays i mostly idle online, follow the scene and do TASes. About 10k hours of active devoted competetive playing and 10k more of just being online, passivelly chatting etc. For those interested in this game, here's a recent video containing all world records in standard levels as of now. And a muted version of the vid in case it's blocked.

I have 355 hours clocked in Left 4 Dead, but that's only since Steam started remembering play times. The real number is probably twice that.

More estimates:
400 hours in Team Fortress 2
500 hours in Counter-Strike 1.6/Source
800 hours in Final Fantasy XI
1000 hours in Dwarf Fortress
1000 Hours in Everquest: Online Adventures
1500 hours in Team Fortress Classic
2000 hours in Doom
10000 hours in various versions of Tetris
25000 hours masturbating

Bucket said:

25000 hours masturbating

lol haha alot of free time? i ask that not really sure I want to know the answer.

darkreaver said:

Quake 2

Several million hours, at least.

lol... noob.

Counting add on pwads, Doom and Doom2 are far and away the most played.

Diablo 2
Quake.
Quake 2
Quake 3 Arena and its online port.
Finished Deus Ex Human revolution plenty of times.
The Dawn of War series.
Half Life and HL2
DoomRL quite a bit recently

WoW
Doom
Tetris
Red Alert 2
Super C
Company of Heroes

In that order.

Doom, easily. In fact, I'd go as far as to say I've spent more time playing Doom than I have spent playing all other games put together. It also has a long head start on most other games, being almost 20 years old.

I know there are games I've certainly played a lot of - Diablo 1, Ultima Underworld, GoldenEye, Nethack, Stunts - and I must have sunk heaps of time into the Gran Turismo series, mostly the first three.

Steam tells me my next highest are the Torchlights, though I did my first playthrough outside of Steam, so I estimate 200+ hours there.

Steam doesn't count my Fallout 3 for some reason, which is all I've done with my spare time over the last ~6 weeks or so. I'm not finished (or even started) the main story, I still have the DLC to play, and I want to play through with a new evil character, so I'll clock up hundreds of hours there. Then I have New Vegas to play.

I think the game which I would have played second most of is Minecraft. I go through phases with it, just playing for weeks getting minimal sleep until I need to delete the client so I actually do things with my life besides eat and shower.

Don't remember the stats but I have a few hundred hours in ETQW.
Then I have about 30 days worth of game time in QL (this is not counting time spent in Warmup and spec however.)

Doom
Counter-Strike 1.6
Counter-Strike Source
TES IV: Oblivion
Perfect Dark
Starcraft
Star Fox 64
Call of Duty 4

And many others

I suck at numerical estimates (and don't have any numbers handy anyway), so I'll fill in guess-y descriptions where appropriate.

Quake 2 -- an arbitrary but decently-sized length of time. Don't laugh -- Q2 was my first love before accidentally running into Doom. I'd play it and the expansions over and over with all sorts of mods, though never online so I missed the Action Quake 2 days. :(
Borderlands -- about 3.5 years in Borderlands days. There's something about the zillions-of-guns attitude that makes me come back to it constantly. Been playing a lot of BL2 too, but not quite enough to make this list.
Devil May Cry series -- more hours than an average demon's lifespan. Next to The Doom, I've definitely poured more hours into DMC (particularly DMC3) than anything else. Got pretty decent at 3's DMD mode at some point, though I've got no evidence from those days since video recording never happened. :P
Doom (and derivatives) -- a metric fuckton of hours. Naturally.
Doom Engine Modding -- two metric fucktons of hours. I've always said I spend more hours modding Doom than I actually do playing it, so there you go. :P

Pre-PC, a lot of arcade Bubble Bobble, New Zealand Story, Liquid Kids, Raiden, Biker Boy, Juju, Metal Slug, Mortal Kombat 3 and Gals Panic (hey, it got my juices running...)

With my first PC, Doom was pretty much KING, but I also played a lot of Mortal Kombat I, II and finally III. Also, a lot of Sparcade emulator time.

Maes said:

I also played a lot of Mortal Kombat I, II and finally III

Commence brofist.

MK/II/III were a few of those games I spent far too much time playing as a kid.

Around 1400 hours for Skulltag (and probably hundreds of hours prior to Xfire and Raptr for Doom itself), 1600 for Oblivion, 359 for Spiral Knights, 250 in Torchlight and 311 for World of Tanks.

And more on hours of other games on my Xfire page

Longest session in one game would be about 9 or 10 hours.

Freespace 1&2 - Maybe whole month worth of time I've spent my time with it.
Freelancer - Quite lot of time I've spent my time with this. Maybe month.
Baldur's Gate saga - I start playing this again every now and then. Certainly over three months worth of time spent.
Planescape: Torment - Went this through in month.
Neverwinter Nights + expansions and Neverwinter Nights 2 and the best expansion ever, Mask of the Betrayer - Good amount of time spent with this. Hits about the same amount as Baldur's Gate.
Doom and its various pwads - quite lot. Not gonna hit the same amount as Baldur's Gate, but certainly more than enough I want to admit.
Civilization - Blah, I don't know how much time I've spent. Maybe more than all of these? Or even less? I really don't know. D:

.... And there's even more games to list. But I'll just mention those that are the worst time consumers I got or had. :)

Steam times: (in order from greatest to least amount of time)

StarWars: Knights of The old Republic: 729 hours
Team Fortess 2: 619 hours (Don't play this anymore)
Mass Effect 2: 419 hours
Dawn of War Soulstorm: 394 hours
Mass Effect: 202 hours
Half-life 2: 117 hours
Half-life 2: Ep 2: 23 hours
Half-life 2: Ep 1: 18 hours

Of course I have more games on Steam but I barely play them

Orgin Times:
Mass Effect 3: 110 hours (See Mass Effect 3 failure as a game for reason why)

Aleaver said:

StarWars: Knights of The old Republic: 729 hours

Huh, how did you squeeze that much time into the game? I played through the game three times when it came out nearly a decade ago and I think I ended up totaling roughly 100 hours.

Mogul said:

Huh, how did you squeeze that much time into the game? I played through the game three times when it came out nearly a decade ago and I think I ended up totaling roughly 100 hours.

Well there are different combonations of character types..and little changes in the game choices you can make. Granted some a very small changes but none the less. I can't really explain it better then that..the game just sucked me in I guess.

Steam:
Terraria- 347 hours
Gmod- 62 hours
Elder Scrolls Skyrim- 188 hours
Borderlands 2- 65hours, only on my first character being a Quest whore.

TES Oblvion- About ~450 hours

Legend of Zelda (all together) roughly 1200+ hours due to all the playthroughs, with Twilight Princess and Wind Waker being time soakers.

Requiem: Momento Mori (MMO)- About 100 hours, hard grind but still fun for boss raids.

Minecraft- Uhh... Lets think here, started around Aug 20th of 2010.. played mostly 13 hours every day until 2011 and stuck with maybe 4-6 hours... Uhm.. metric fuckton would be the best answer here, 'cause really the answer is incalculable. >.<;

I play Doom almost everyday, but I'm not sure how many hours I've spent on that though, probably 100 hours in total. I play WoW a lot too, not much anymore now.

I've logged quite a bit in Doom, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, and hell I think I've logged an assload in Dark Forces II (Singleplayer only even). By guessing though the game I've spent the most in over all though might be Jurassic Park Operation Genesis, or Zoo Tycoon. My first real video games that I owned and played the crap out of. JPOG was such a great waste of time. Love that game, wish I had the CD still to reinstall it seeing I've fucked up my current installed version with a fuckton of mods.

Otherwise, Steam logs me for 599 hours on TF2, though I'm sure half of this was idling in trade servers.

After that it's Combat Arms for 48.1 hours. I kind of wish Steam though would also log your non steam games, just so you can get an idea.

Doom - Tough call between this and MII:TW, but the combination of mapping, balancing, testing, discussing, and playing Doom probably slightly outweighs the other. They've alternated as my primary game over the past 6 or 7 years, now.

Medieval II: Total War - lots of mods exist for this and makes for a fresh experience very often.

Rome: Total War - Also a lot of mods, but I don't find them nearly as entertaining for some sort of reason.

Star Wars: X-Wing - As a kid, I played this every day. Still bust it out occasionally.

Super Mario 64 - I've gotten 120 stars 3 times now. It rarely gets easier for me to do some of the challenges, and it really eats up way too much time whenever I decide I feel like doing it again.

Final Fantasy 8 - Yeah, I tried to 100% the shit out of this game... Never bought a guide, either. Eesh.

Goldeneye - Wasted days shooting my friends to smithereens.

In addition, there's the classic Sonic games, Zelda games, Mario Kart 64, etc. that I played a ton of. These ones just seems like the ones I've spent more than 100 hours playing, if I had to guess.