Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
myk

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 2 [post Compet-N entries here]

A really nice RJ although you could've cut down a couple seconds if you didn't get stopped from the walls, but a really nice try :)

Dunno if we're supposed to post here or on doom.com.hr ATM, so just in case, here's my Once Every 5 Years Special: MM2 MAP06 UV speed, 2:21.

EDIT: shitty improvement, god the end of this run is terrible - 2:19.

EDIT again: another shitty improvement, 2:16.

m206-216.zip

Ffs stop replacing the old demos, it's a race so we need the history. :P

Fine, here's 2:14. :) I kinda wanna do ~2:11 but I also want to see some sunshine or something. 2:21 and 2:19 are in doom.com.hr compet-n incoming, if you want to grab them.

m206-214.zip

rdwpa said:

When you guys record max kill demos with respawn in vanilla, about what proportion of runs end up failing due to missed monsters?

I only did one -respawn demo for Compet-N, but most of my non-CN -respawn runs are recorded without advanced HUD, so in my experience it really depends on the level and route. The Compet-N run I did (E1M5 -respawn) was very luck-based; on one hand, it depended on the respawns I would get and on the other it depended on how many of the non-respawned monsters I could kill with my rockets (especially if I didn't spend too much time waiting for respawns as I did in my 2:15). One run I did for the Perdition's Gate pack (map 3) had a lot of backtracking and a lot of monsters, so just running through the level and getting the secrets (with some extra killing) was usually enough to get over 100% kills, just a matter of survival. Of course, there are trivial -respawns if there are very few monsters on the level (like Origwad where I could easily count two extra kills to account for the two barons I skipped); in that level, all that really mattered was getting two fast respawns.

I think I tried map02 with respawn couple times and I missed the exits a lot because I didn't want much over 100%. It was 1-2 missed monsters most of the time.

It has a lot to do with the time I'm trying to beat. For a table filler, I start out playing conservatively, exiting with about 10% kill above what's needed, then keep on playing less and less conservatively until I'm within 100%-102%. It's a whole other story when I'm trying to beat a record, at least when it's a respectable record that doesn't exit with 113% kills or something.

When trying to beat someone's time, I take note of what part of the music plays just before they exit, and I know when I play that I need to exit just a little bit before that part of the music occurs. During that time I'm obviously trying to kill as much as I can, but when it's time to exit I do so. As others have mentioned, the success rate has lot to do with the map, but when competing against a good record, luck is always a huge factor. 98% and 99% have happened to me quite a bit, and to ad insult to injury sometimes that happens even when I exit with a slower the time than the record I'm competing against. It's a great category, but bad luck can make it more frustrating than fun. It's a lot more than just a luck-fest though, you need the proper skills to take advantage of good fortune when it come to you.

Ultimate Doom, E1M6 - Central Processing: UV-FAST in 3:55.

f1m6-355.zip