Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

Marking down Bruce for MAP03
And Cannonball, GreyGhost "ran into a brick wall" and he said I should give MAP12 to you, since you already started, I will mark you down for it.

Also, I put AHGEEZ.MID into MAP07 and I'm not sure on the result. Personally I prefer it as a MIDI to D_SHAWN, and it makes the level more fast paced, but I'm not sure if it's more or less fitting. Extra opinions would be useful.

Although the current version is 3.3.8, I think this may be based on 3.3.7, because I don't update my memory stick often
D2INO7wAHGEEZ.wad

cannonball said:

Looking good so far :D
Although I see you've mentioned a cyber at the end of the level, I'm wondering if our cyber count is going a bit high, although these values below are all on UV

MAP11 - 1
MAP12 - 1
MAP13 - 1
MAP15 - 2
I can't remember if 17 used one
MAP18 - 1
MAP19 uses some
MAP20 - 2, although I doubt they're gonna stay
MAP22 - 1
MAP23 - 1
MAP26 - 1
MAP29 - more than 1 (spoilers!)
MAP32 - 2

Haha it does give a rather hell revealed vibe, though saying that boss monsters are common even away from the slaughtmap wads these days.
Map17 doesn't have any at the moment

I still don't like the texturing used on MAP20. Reference the bloodfall at the start, I myself would do a rock(?) wall with little indents where the blood is falling out. Also, I'm aware we can't use the lava-fall texture, so I suggest you use the blood floor instead of the lava.

Inside, I see that the blue key (which I don't think I'm supposed to be able to pick up first off) has a messed up door. Those skulls need to be twice as wide.
I think you only need 1 of each boss on those platforms too.

MAP23, DB2 is saying that it's compatible, but I'll need someone to choco test for me as I don't have access to it right now.

Will properly playtest map23 later, time to look at the gameplay in detail methinks :)
Map20 - Same thoughts at least to the start of the map, using the bloodfall texture as the border is not good. Like eris said, rock with some indentation.
Got stuck after climbing the marble stairs.

As to further comments, they will come later. Currently processing a 20 minute video for youtube, will take a while and it makes playing doom unbearable :P

Progress on map12, made the final area within limits (just), though there will be homs if you noclip over the fence. All thanks to that helicopter haha)

cannonball said:

Will properly playtest map23 later, time to look at the gameplay in detail methinks :)
Map20 - Same thoughts at least to the start of the map, using the bloodfall texture as the border is not good. Like eris said, rock with some indentation.
Got stuck after climbing the marble stairs.

As to further comments, they will come later. Currently processing a 20 minute video for youtube, will take a while and it makes playing doom unbearable :P

Progress on map12, made the final area within limits (just), though there will be homs if you noclip over the fence. All thanks to that helicopter haha)

Also the texture alignment is atrocious, and those switches still look kinda bad. I'd have the sides of those columns going IN to the wall rather than being just 2 units thick. Some of the floor textures like on those bricks inside the castle are not well chosen. What is Keen doing there too? I'd move the blue key to a secret area too rather than just have it placed randomly like that. It's an easy BFG9000, which I personally don't agree with when it comes to pistol start playability.

As for your HOMs cannonball, don't you get them from noclipping anyway? :P

Well there is a metal fence dividing the playing area from the river/lake edge which heads off into the distance with the inner city beyond. If you hop over you can see more of the metallic factory structure which pushes the drawsegs over the edge, shame it wasn't vpos though, as they say, cheaters never prosper.
One thing came into my mind when making the exit of this map, that Glenzinho's idea was really cool, but the flaw was thatyou are the last man on earth, who flies the plane/helicopter into the inner city. Hence place the chopper at the exit and well doomguy gets to test his flying skills. What would be funny is if a map later on has the crashed helicopter after doomguy parachutes onto the skyscrappers in map13 :P

Eris Falling said:

Inside, I see that the blue key (which I don't think I'm supposed to be able to pick up first off) has a messed up door. Those skulls need to be twice as wide.

You're able to get that key btw.

cannonball said:

What would be funny is if a map later on has the crashed helicopter after doomguy parachutes onto the skyscrappers in map13 :P

I was gonna take MAP16 if ShadesMaster didn't respond and anyone else didn't want to, so I could've done this, however

Somewhere around the start area of MAP13, you can see there is a huge chunk taken out of one of the buildings, showing the ultimate fate of the chopper
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/2020/screenshotdoom201212301.png
*IMAGE WAY TOO BIG. URLED. USE THUMBNAILS OR CREATE SMALLER IMAGES*

Joe-ilya: That's not what I meant. It shouldn't be that easy to get to it, given that inside the blue door there's a BFG. I would try and keep it well hidden or at least hard to get to. Like the soulsphere

Also, I was contacted by a certain individual who goes by the name of Evolution, who said he will, as with TNT2, provide a ZDaemon server for this project in a TNS session (presumably to test the multiplayer elements) once we have released the Beta, which of course, is when all 32 maps are done and more or less finished.

Ah fair enough, the start of map13 seems very duke nukem like :) I can imagine the first line he says from the first map.
Ah that's good new, I participate in the tns sessions from time to time. Yeah it will be for multiplayer elements. When that comes around, make sure you get yourself a zdaemon account, just so I'm not the only person getting abuse because of a cheap death :P

cannonball said:

Ah fair enough, the start of map13 seems very duke nukem like :) I can imagine the first line he says from the first map.
Ah that's good new, I participate in the tns sessions from time to time. Yeah it will be for multiplayer elements. When that comes around, make sure you get yourself a zdaemon account, just so I'm not the only person getting abuse because of a cheap death :P

Of course I'll get a ZD account. Now..what username should I go by.. :P

Eris Falling said:

Joe-ilya: That's not what I meant. It shouldn't be that easy to get to it, given that inside the blue door there's a BFG. I would try and keep it well hidden or at least hard to get to. Like the soulsphere

damn i forgot to bury the skullkey :(

joe-ilya said:

damn i forgot to bury the skullkey :(

Blue key secret + bfg is a reasonable idea. You can put the blue key on a pillar, instead of in a hole if you want to, I think it would look better.
I would kind of like to know your thoughts about constructing this map and your reasoning, because I get this hommage feeling from the map, from the large central room to the area behind the, whilst shaped and textured differently, it almost feels like the same map. Whilst the idea is fine, it just would have been nice to see you come up with something a little different which might have resulted in a better map (imo)

If gameplay of my map is good, i want to take map24 if no one answer for it, i have a good idea for the map

Joseph Lord said:

If gameplay of my map is good, i want to take map24 if no one answer for it, i have a good idea for the map

For inspiration, Catwalk from the Master Levels would be a great place to start in my opinion, specifically the idea of raising a walkway across a massive pit over the course of an entire level.
I'll hand you the slot if Hellbent still hasn't done anything when I teleport from Hell to Doomworld on the 1st. But if you do end up doing this map, remember to vanilla test this time ;) Seven takes at vanillafying that map sounds like a huge pain in my opinion.

I think I wouldn't mind doing MAP16 actually if it opens. Would definitely be a change to the other three maps I've made in my short time on Doomworld.
Making a large city map would definitely be a challenge for me, having never attempted anything like it. We shall see...

Eris Falling said:

For inspiration, Catwalk from the Master Levels would be a great place to start in my opinion, specifically the idea of raising a walkway across a massive pit over the course of an entire level.
I'll hand you the slot if Hellbent still hasn't done anything when I teleport from Hell to Doomworld on the 1st. But if you do end up doing this map, remember to vanilla test this time ;) Seven takes at vanillafying that map sounds like a huge pain in my opinion.

I think I wouldn't mind doing MAP16 actually if it opens. Would definitely be a change to the other three maps I've made in my short time on Doomworld.
Making a large city map would definitely be a challenge for me, having never attempted anything like it. We shall see...

Thanks man, now i know how use chocorenderlimits, so im not gonna upload eight attempts.
In my opinion a good city map is a hard work to do, is necesary a good detail in the buildings to make it realist. so if u take it, good luck man!

Map12\is done, but due to some idiot resetting the internet in my house, the laptop the map is on can't access the internet, so will have to wait until morning.
As will comments on other peoples maps. I'm in a grumpy mood due to said reasons above and realising that my new year will be spent indoors :/ hopefully I will be happier tomorrow and not post like a douche :P

right, lets get this over with then.
It seems I have outstayed my welcome at the house i am living in at the moment, so are currently moving out today. This means I will have no access to internet for the forseeable future. This means.
- Map12 is up for grabs to anyone who wants it as the project will probably be long gone before I can post it.
- Map 21 is fine I think so no change there needed.
- Map15 it might need someone to add the difficulty settings for me, or someone else can make a brand new map. Whatever happens here, I have no opinion on it.
That's it really. Cannonball signing off from doomworld for the forseeable future :(

cannonball said:

It seems I have outstayed my welcome at the house i am living in at the moment, so are currently moving out today. This means I will have no access to internet for the forseeable future. This means.
- Map12 is up for grabs to anyone who wants it as the project will probably be long gone before I can post it.
- Map15 it might need someone to add the difficulty settings for me, or someone else can make a brand new map. Whatever happens here, I have no opinion on it.
That's it really. Cannonball signing off from doomworld for the forseeable future :(

Fuck! No!
I'll do the difficulties for MAP15, no way we're losing that monster. But if there's no way you can get MAP12 up before June then I'll have to hand it over. Not that you'll know anything about this post :/

cannonball said:

That sucks man :( All the best for finding new accommodation quickly... until then we should hold off on making a decision for the maps until cannonball can contact us; it seems like Map 12 is just about done.

cannonball said:

I never thought about Duke but thatĀ“s a pretty funny coincidence in hindsight... I was never much a Duke fan back in the day. My teenage self was kinda jealous for Doom in regards to Duke. Aaah youth, I donĀ“t miss it one bit!

glenzinho said:

I never thought about Duke but thatĀ“s a pretty funny coincidence in hindsight... I was never much a Duke fan back in the day. My teenage self was kinda jealous for Doom in regards to Duke. Aaah youth, I donĀ“t miss it one bit!

Oh, I get what he means now! :P Took me a while

Anyway, MAP16 is done, here it is big whoop
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/686/screenshotdoom201212311.png

Just kidding of course. Obviously that's all I'm gonna bother doing, incase ShadesMaster gives a last minute response.
Basically, it's a 512 tall square with sides 20480 long. Humanity will evolve, and build their city inside this square.

If I don't end up with 16, then it will either be forgotten, or I'll end up doing something either really good (Into Eris' City) or something really bad (Into Sandy's city)

cannonball said:

Blue key secret + bfg is a reasonable idea. You can put the blue key on a pillar, instead of in a hole if you want to, I think it would look better.
I would kind of like to know your thoughts about constructing this map and your reasoning, because I get this hommage feeling from the map, from the large central room to the area behind the, whilst shaped and textured differently, it almost feels like the same map. Whilst the idea is fine, it just would have been nice to see you come up with something a little different which might have resulted in a better map (imo)

good idea :D

Just noticed this from ErisĀ“ screenshot:

Does anyone else see the head with long hair in the deformed skull cloud?
Eris, what is up with the green tint in your shot?

glenzinho said:

Just noticed this from ErisĀ“ screenshot:
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/686/screenshotdoom201212311.png
Does anyone else see the head with long hair in the deformed skull cloud?
Eris, what is up with the green tint in your shot?

Holy shit, I gotta take another look at that...
The green tint is GZDoom's default Light goggles effect, because I needed them to show the size of the map, and I couldn't be bothered with changing the settings.

I'm not abandoning it unless it's outrageous. I'm still waiting for the stream of fantasy to overcome me.