Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

I don't think you did?

ANYWAY, WELCOME TO 2013AD

Due to a lack of response, and an extra three hours past when I said I'd move them, I still haven't had responses to MAP16 and MAP24.
So I'll have 16, and Joseph Lord is taking 24.

Marking all unfinalised maps as "WIP?"
Same procedure as last month.
Fly my pretties!

Eris Falling said:

I don't think you did?

ANYWAY, WELCOME TO 2013AD

Due to a lack of response, and an extra three hours past when I said I'd move them, I still haven't had responses to MAP16 and MAP24.
So I'll have 16, and Joseph Lord is taking 24.

Marking all unfinalised maps as "WIP?"
Same procedure as last month.
Fly my pretties!

what did you thought about when you typed "please improve"?

joe-ilya said:

what did you thought about when you typed "please improve"?

Pretty much the entire map. As said before, there's no reason to have entire walls in the outside area as bloodfall textures. Also, the height variation outside is still way over the top. I'd recommend lowering the starting platform a lot.

I don't think you need 2 of each boss in the castle, and texture alignment is a major issue.
Also, I'm really not sure how this reflects the title of Gotcha

With enough improvements, this map can turn out very good. I think that's true of any map, which was the whole point of the 1994 tune-up project I think.

Other maps: MAP03 is underway, ? removed. Since it caused a bit of a discussion originally, how are you doing it? I think the general interpretation was a ga(u)ntlet rail track.
Also MAP16's BLOCKMAP lump is 51000 bytes. Good start -_-

Eh..heh..turns out starting MAP16 would be as easy as I'd hoped.
I'll resign myself from it so I can concentrate more on MAP22, let someone who actually knows what they're doing have a go.

Also, I've started compiling the maps together, moving out of place maps to their appropriate slots, and including mudwater.wad

So far so good, I just need to learn how to edit those intermission graphics :P

Shadow Hog said:

A balded, bearded, glasses-wearing man is staring out toward me, tilting his head back and to his left a bit.

Looks kinda like the guy from Breaking Bad, actually.

Sloth.

Eris Falling said:

MAP16: Suburbs - OPEN

Mind if I have a crack at this over the weekend? I have nothing else on for two days, and can put some hardcore work into this. Feel bad about dropping the MAP30 though; who's doing that and did they want what little I had completed (which, to be honest, could function as a MAP30-alike without the six prior 'sins' with little modification)?

ComicMischief said:

Mind if I have a crack at this over the weekend? I have nothing else on for two days, and can put some hardcore work into this. Feel bad about dropping the MAP30 though; who's doing that and did they want what little I had completed (which, to be honest, could function as a MAP30-alike without the six prior 'sins' with little modification)?

Hmm, I'm tempted to take 30 actually, since it shouldn't be too hard to finish if you send me what you had. I know I said I should concentrate on MAP22 more, but it's about 40-50% done already.

If no-one else wants 30, that is. I'll mark you down for Suburbs though.

Eris Falling said:

Pretty much the entire map. As said before, there's no reason to have entire walls in the outside area as bloodfall textures. Also, the height variation outside is still way over the top. I'd recommend lowering the starting platform a lot.

I don't think you need 2 of each boss in the castle, and texture alignment is a major issue.
Also, I'm really not sure how this reflects the title of Gotcha

With enough improvements, this map can turn out very good. I think that's true of any map, which was the whole point of the 1994 tune-up project I think.

maximum hight in the wad is now 494

i put hellish redstone

i lowered alot of things

changed some textures

2 bosses : ultra violence
1 boss : i'm too toung too die and hurt me plenty

gotcha is just some castle in a lava pit which then you change dimenesion by steping on some "special water".
and the other dimenesion is based on "gotcha!" traps which is what the
monsters say when they get you.

Isn't that reasonable?

Also thanks for making me to stay working.

joe-ilya said:

maximum hight in the wad is now 494

i put hellish redstone

i lowered alot of things

changed some textures

2 bosses : ultra violence
1 boss : i'm too toung too die and hurt me plenty

gotcha is just some castle in a lava pit which then you change dimenesion by steping on some "special water".
and the other dimenesion is based on "gotcha!" traps which is what the
monsters say when they get you.

Isn't that reasonable?

Also thanks for making me to stay working.

I can't really say much until I play the map again with these improvements. 2 of each boss on UV is still kind of unneccessary though, not to mention redundant with the Masterminds as they will kill each other.
What I think would be better is either of these, on all skills
1 Cyber, 1 Spider
2 Cybers (1 in each of the areas)
2 Spiders (1 in each of the areas, so they don't kill each other)

Eris Falling said:

I can't really say much until I play the map again with these improvements. 2 of each boss on UV is still kind of unneccessary though, not to mention redundant with the Masterminds as they will kill each other.
What I think would be better is either of these, on all skills
1 Cyber, 1 Spider
2 Cybers (1 in each of the areas)
2 Spiders (1 in each of the areas, so they don't kill each other)

I putted a block monster line so they wont be that easy to defeat

I also removed those mancubuses

I also puted monsters for the whole map but no skills or ammution

so if you want to test it , do it

link : http://www.mediafire.com/?rne9l4g91h9ttga

and theres some more detail i puted

Just downloaded the latest gotcha!.wad

Still not even close to vanilla compatible.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/crowroadaw/gotcha_zps4e6e4bec.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/crowroadaw/gotcha2_zps3c965ed0.jpg

The first door to the north of the start position is also borked for vanilla. Notice the tutti-frutti effect at the top, caused by the texture chosen being one that cannot tile.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/crowroadaw/gotcha3_zps81d10ce1.jpg

Plus of course there's the simple fact that it looks awful. Non-existent texture alignment, nonsensical texture selection.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/crowroadaw/gotcha4_zps5445466b.jpg

joe-ilya said:

I putted a block monster line so they wont be that easy to defeat

I also removed those mancubuses

I also puted monsters for the whole map but no skills or ammution

so if you want to test it , do it

link : http://www.mediafire.com/?rne9l4g91h9ttga

and theres some more detail i puted

Only problem is, the wires on the charger cable for my laptop have severed, meaning that I have no access to Doom right now. I'm hoping the new one arrives tomorrow, but I worry I could actually be stuck for the rest of this week. I've added link to the OP regardless.

Capellan said:

WTF is this?

The impression I get here is that the map has been thrown together completely randomly, with no regards to nearly everything.
I don't want to sound harsh, but it's like..if OBLIGE was broken?

I found a line somewhere in the map. And length wasn't 128, or 64 or 32 or 16, or even 8 or 1.

It was 2.75

Now personally, when making maps, I would keep 'snap to grid' turned on. The result would be a lot better.

You can't just make lines any length you want, or use any heights you want. Or you are only making it harder for yourself, with alignment issues and bugs.
I presume what's happened with that tutti-door is that it's been made 134 units tall or something else that isn't a multiple of 8
IIRC, it's a 112 tall texture, so that's the height that has to be used. Either that, or you change it to a similar door that is 128 tall, like the one with the cyber-face on it.

Seriously, turn snap to grid on. I find a good grid-size to use mostly is 8px. Sometimes switch to 4 for more smaller stuff, but you shouldn't need to use any others than that.

Eris Falling said:
I presume what's happened with that tutti-door is that it's been made 134 units tall or something else that isn't a multiple of 8

Nah, it's 128 high. The problem is than in vanilla, textures that aren't 128 high do not tile properly in the vertical axis. You can only use them in sectors their own height or less. There are a couple of other instances of this in the level.

Before I even start on Suburbs, any objections to my having one Spider Mastermind in there?

If so, I can do without. Just an idea for a section I had.

I'm back from crazy stupid lala land of doom yay
I am back at home, after loads of arguments and stuff (but that belongs in a blogs thread)
Finished the factory so enjoy in all it's probably awfulness, no skill settings yet.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/cbfactory.wad
I think a spider mastermind can be allowed for map16 :)

cannonball said:

I am back at home, after loads of arguments and stuff (but that belongs in a blogs thread)
Finished the factory so enjoy in all it's probably awfulness, no skill settings yet.

You´re back! I knew RL wouldn´t keep you down for long.

cannonball said:

He lives! HE LIVES!
Right, let's test this thing.

Bruce: I've noticed you have a definite style ;) I hope you recover from your injuries, whatever they may be, soon.

EDIT: Well guess who took a point-blank from the shotgunner at start of MAP12? And guess who died after 27 enemies on UV **
OK. I'll start from ITYTD and work my way down..

DOUBLE EDIT: I expect nothing less of a Cannonmap. I'm glad you came back to give this to us. I didn't find the Cyberdemon, and found it's a good map to practice my Revenant (20 on UV) and Arch-Vile (6 on UV) skills. Very factory like, and I like the helicopter exit :)

And yes ComicMischief, a Mastermind in Suburbs is fine. My charger has arrived, so I can resume mapping/playing again.

Right, new version of MAP20 next..

CorSair said:

Dammit, how I wished to spend my holidays doing this, instead, Civ 5 took the time. >:(

I don't have much to show, but I am still doing it, and I will finish it, goddammit. Here's link for my screenie gallery. (Dropbox) I probably refer to this often, if you folks don't mind it.

Screenshot 2 looks a little bland, and I'm not sure what the door texture is doing as a main wall in Screenshot 3.

The general idea seems to be shaping up quite nicely though. Cleared of ?

MAP20: The start area is better. But I see this still is an issue
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/5628/screenshotdoom201301031.png

Eris Falling said:

Screenshot 2 looks a little bland, and I'm not sure what the door texture is doing as a main wall in Screenshot 3.

The general idea seems to be shaping up quite nicely though. Cleared of ?

I am still trying to form up other areas (those are not yet screenshot worthy) so detail is out of question. For now.

As for those door textures as wall... Well. I didn't figure any better texture for closed bay doors. :P

Otherwise, I still got area roughly shaped up as it is in first shot. I have divided it as two different areas, underground facility and maintenance and upper landing/refueling area. Underground area is bit lackluster, and upper ground area needs filling. But I got few ideas for there, I just need to think which suits and plays well.