Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

I don't exactly remember when I claimed map28, but I didn't think it was that long ago... 0_o Although again, you never questioned the status of map28 before and I never specifically mentioned 29 without 28, so I don't know where you got the idea that I was abandoning it. I just didn't get around to it, seeing how we're not too close to completion yet and new maps are being started and claimed still.

If it means that much to you, you can have it Antroid. I only created the start room anyway.

But your comment was pretty rude to Eris. I think its apparent that he's working his ass off to get this project finished and you come in here and yell at him for giving away "your" map slot? Keeping track of every single person involved's map slot can't be too easy. And he just gave it away because he wanted to move the project ahead and try to get another map finished. So if anything you can blame me for claiming it; but if you really want it, go ahead and take it.

I thought I made it pretty clear that it didn't mean that much to me. I also thought that Eris just kinda assuming that I'm not going to do map28 was rude, not anything I said about it - he didn't even wait enough time for me to respond, am I supposed to check the thread every day if I want to keep the maps that I have claimed?

If you have inspiration and a good idea for map28, go ahead and work on it, I will playtest map29 in the meantime. However if you drop map28 for any reason (and I'm not encouraging you to drop it, I'm not even exactly in a Doom mood these days), I want to be the one to pick it back up :)

I guess what your saying is true. But remember he is human and we all make mistakes :)

About the actual map. Maybe we could do some sort of collaboration? That could make for a fun mapping experience.

That depends on what your idea was and how it would fit with mine - we should probably move on to PM with this, shoot me one with a general description of what you want to do with map28 and we'll work from there.

Although I must mention that from my past experiences with collaborative mapping like this, it can get really frustrating, at least for me because I seem to turn into a control freak even if it's not my project. %)

Edit: also I think Eris met his mistake quota when he said that PSX doom soundtrack was better than the original :D

Eris Falling said:

why arn't you updating my updated map?
I pm'd you the fifth version

EDIT: that's the reason why can't the fourth version be downloaded

joe-ilya said:

why arn't you updating my updated map?
I pm'd you the fifth version

EDIT: that's the reason why can't the fourth version be downloaded

Wow, 2 days and it all kicks off :L Good thing I'm not Ella then.
Seriously though, I DL'd the fifth version and it's still not nearly improved enough, which is why I never updated it.

Regarding MAP28

Ok, I fucked up, I admit it. Sorry Antroid. I forgot that you had gone for a week, and didn't wait for a reply. To be honest, I wasn't actually sure if you knew you had it. You must have claimed it back in October, since it was there when I copied the level list over from the original thread, and 22-10-12 was the last update. That, plus the no mention of it, made it seem like you had forgotten. I'll let you and Olympus decide the fate of MAP28 for yourselves, I've done enough damage XD

What I won't admit to though, is saying that PSX Music was better than PC. It was more fitting yes, but musically, PC was better. I should probably check the original thread, incase I'm turning into idsoftware981.

Besides, I was choosing the music for MAP22, and that's not going out in the final release with the original music.

Wow Eris, you were gone for so long I legit thought you abandoned this project!!

Eris Falling said:

What I won't admit to though, is saying that PSX Music was better than PC. It was more fitting yes, but musically, PC was better. I should probably check the original thread, incase I'm turning into idsoftware981.

Well that's just nitpicking, "more fitting" is in a way also "better". In any case, I still don't agree with that and would never trade the original doom 1 and 2 midi music for anything else. Hence, the "mistake" remark.

Anyway, Olympus seems to have disappeared ever since I suggested he send me a PM a few days back, so, as to not make the same abandonment joke again, I'll just say that I'm still waiting for that PM so we could discuss whether we want to double-team map28 or not.

Eris Falling said:

Ok, I fucked up, I admit it. Sorry Antroid. I forgot that you had gone for a week, and didn't wait for a reply. To be honest, I wasn't actually sure if you knew you had it. You must have claimed it back in October, since it was there when I copied the level list over from the original thread, and 22-10-12 was the last update. That, plus the no mention of it, made it seem like you had forgotten. I'll let you and Olympus decide the fate of MAP28 for yourselves, I've done enough damage XD

I hope you´re not doing the same thing with my Map 25 request. Could you get a confirmation from Obsidan as to yay or nay?

Antroid said:

Wow Eris, you were gone for so long I legit thought you abandoned this project!!

Rule of thumb, if I don't post for over 24 hours: Panic.
Heh

As for the mistake, not all agree with you. But let's not derail this thread arguing (badly, in my case) about it.
In fact, after my contributions to the Doom 4 should have thread, I'm done with "properly" discussing Doom's soundtrack.

Spoiler

DOOM 4 SHOULD HAVE HEAVY METAL MUSIC BLASTING LOUD!!!!!
*starts listening to raining blood by slayer full volume*

Eris Falling said:

Wow, 2 days and it all kicks off :L Good thing I'm not Ella then.
Seriously though, I DL'd the fifth version and it's still not nearly improved enough, which is why I never updated it.
O

What else should I improve\change\add?

joe-ilya said:

What else should I improve\change\add?

Bear in mind that I haven´t followed all of the discussion pertaining to your map, but I have played it and my guess would be everything.

glenzinho said:

Bear in mind that I haven´t followed all of the discussion pertaining to your map, but I have played it and my guess would be everything.

which version did you test?

glenzinho said:

Well, you said it for me. And I have played the fifth version.

Eris Falling said:

Well, you said it for me. And I have played the fifth version.

i fixed some more ...

but what else is bad?

joe-ilya said:

fixed some bugs and changed textures

http://www.mediafire.com/?ubfi97sqq0m0qd0

I played ur map, and maybe u need have some pratice before continuing upload that map. If i remember correctly, someone have 1 month to show signs of life of the map. Practice this month analyzing maps like scythe
wad haves or alien vendetta for example. In my case, to make a good map24 im playing all the maps of this proyect and taking my time using correctly chocorenderlimits, for dont make the mistake of upload seven wrong versions.
Peace.

joe-ilya said:

fixed some bugs and changed textures

Sorry, but just fixing bugs and changing textures won't make this an acceptable map.

Few pics more in my gallery.

As an afterthough, pic 04 may look bland, though. But in the end, I think it goes as is, when gameplay is in concern...

Pic 05 is bit glorified pic 01. Shit's leaking dudes. Watch your step, you don't wanna walk on corrosive fuel... Technically, you shouldn't take lot of damage, unless you stand on it deliberately.

Sorry for pic 06, don't know what happened there or is the area too dark to get it properly.

And pic 07 is the area after the pic 06. I decided it being just a dead end with much-needed ammo and RL. Or so I think.

joe-ilya: if you start a new map, just do a couple of rooms and then post progress, so you can get feedback. That way you can get feedback before you've put effort into a whole map.

Antroid said:

Why would there be a lab "in mars" in the earth city episode?

This, I agree you should make a new map from scratch and my thoughts are the same as capellan's.
Theme, not so sure but of course it's your slot but it should have some sort of earth city theme.

The level was in a city episode in case you forgot. We're not just doing whatever comes into our mind at the time, we're roughly following the doom 2 "storyline" (as much of it as there is to follow).

Link worked ok for me.

New Map20

Silver start room is really really bland. It needs some kind of details or decorations on the walls.

Opening trap is toothless; the troopers can't even see you.

Secret in the start room is only marked on the map and delivers ... 1% health and 1% armor. What is the point?

Fight once you actually get the door open isn't too bad, really. This room also has at least some detail. You need to unpeg your textures though, as right now the doors and windows look ugly.

Texture choice on the outside area is weird - why are you combining STEP textures with rocky/ground flats? It's also a bit bland.

The sky should probably be 192 high instead of 128, or the interior sectors should be shorter, as it looks weird when you look inside from the exterior.

Blue key was kind of hard to eyeball - I didn't even notice it the first time I went down there - and the door for the trap there needs to be fast open, as it currently opens too slowly to be much of a threat.

Do you use a grid? Your walls sometimes seem slightly angled for no apparent reason.

Eris Falling said:

Dead link.

It worked for me :P
Map20
Right suggestions so far, simple one really.
1) Use lower and upper unpegged on textures which are on the upper or lower segments of walls. This will vertically allign all the textures in a room. Also use lower unpegged on the door tracks.
2) When building doors and stuff, try and use linedef lengths of a multiple of 8 (8,16,24 etc) just to make doors look a little neater and try to keep your mapping building attached to the grid in doombuilder 2 to make room look neater and less odd.
Hope that makes sense
Edit secrew it, capellan worded it a lot better