Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

Here is a FDA for Bloodfalls. Nice map with weird level progression, I died a few times but it was always my fault I think so I don't have anything against these parts. I'm surprised I survived the YK trap though, it seems really dangerous if you jump down in panic and get surrounded quickly. Also some HKs were stuck in the walls and the final area feels disjointed from the rest of the level IMO.

Eris Falling said:

@Antroid: Wasn't planning on revealing the map, that screenshot in the OP is all anyone gets until you decide to show it.

Okay, just the way you said that you thought it could already pass as complete sounded a bit sinister to me. If you remember in your version there was a pretty glaring mistake - the black wall I had at the final area went missing somehow and you could see the unintended parts from there instead of black nothingness.

I think I might be nearing the end of my balancing job anyways, I tested all of the paths by themselves, the only thing's left is to replay it all a couple times to see if the balance holds up and if there's enough and not too much ammo whatever order the player goes for the main switches. Oh and then maybe add several miniscule adjustments for other difficulty settings.

mouldy said:

Ok, here's map 25, bloodfalls:
http://www.mediafire.com/?18dty16ujgwim3b

Ha! Finally a non-linear map! And a good one :D

This map in fact reminds me Duke Nukem 3D, not by the visuals, but by the style of progression. No corridor-door-corridor-door. You need to attentively look around you and notice slight details in your environment in order to move forward. You see, you find that you can jump from this ledge to another and you say to yourself: "Yes, this must be a secret, and I'm proud of myself that I found it." And then it's no secret, it's a obligatory path. And you say to yourself: "Oh, if I hadn't noticed it, I would have stucked in this map forever. Heh." But, at the same time, the map is compact, not too large (like the mine :)) and therefore easier to navigate, and the right path is not difficult to find out after you explore the map a bit. And that's something I really like and admire.

I have only two complaints about this map: First, the BFG secret is inescapable because of the stupid stair and the step-up-bug. At least in ZDoom I cannot get down. And second, I think you messed up something with blocking lines near the second (Spectre) secret, so the secret cannot be reached.

In anything other, I really like this map. Amazing architecture, good balance and flow. And the ambushes :D (Aáááááa-pinkies-lol) If I were you, I wouldn't add any more ammo. Maybe just... Cut down cells and add some shells.

I worry that my MAP22 is linear ._.
Aside from the fact that you can choose if you go for Blue Key or Red Key first and that on the blue key you can choose which order you do the labyrinth in it's all very. I'll have to bear this in mind for the rest of the map

@Antroid: I had forgotten about that :P

Dunno about other people, but I don't mind a more linear map every once in a while. As long as it's not one of those terrible cramped ones that have you traverse a tiny area over and over again while you find keys and open doors strictly in the preset order. If it's linear, you damn well better make it a journey, even if it's a short one, and not something that reminds me of Doom's E2M9's key sequence.

Just posted because it's reply #666

Anyways, Eris, thanks for the correction, I meant that way.

Map25
Love it, non linear and looks great. Good fights.
A few bugs, hell knights stuck in marble staircase area.
Also the bfg room you can get stuck in.
Loved the area with the pillars which have wr lines attached to them, very devious. I enjoyed the cyber fight there too, very proud that I nailed him in one attempt.
In the end most areas are connected in very neat, sometimes slightly obscure ways and is a different animal to the other maps here so far. Enjoyed every minute. Note I had no problem with ammo throughout and had a lot to spare at the end but that concerns beyond grabbing the plasma gun. (would have had more if I had found the secrets when I should have done and not after I had killed everything (except the 4 monsters connected to one secret.).

Cheers for the feedback guys! Can't believe I missed the BFG bug..

Here's an updated version of MAP 25 with some bug fixes:
http://www.mediafire.com/?da2jhhs51sjcx1a

@Memfis Very handy demo cheers. That pillar you were strafe-jumping to in the outside area (to get to the blue key section) was intended to be accessed from running off the outcrop where the chaingun is, didn't even realise you could get to it your way. I've fixed the stuck HKs and might look again at that yellow key trap, I find it a bit harsh myself.

@scifista42 Thanks for pointing out the BFG bug, I always test without getting the secrets and didn't even bother making sure it worked. The second secret is accessed in a bit of an obscure way - there are 2 ledges on the dam and one has a damaged panel next to it, jumping onto that ledge should open the secret door. If anyone has problems getting that to work or thinks its a bit too obscure let me know. It leads ultimately to the bfg so I didnt want to make it too obvious .

@cannonball Glad you enjoyed it - I'm also glad you survived the cyber fight, i find that pretty hard and was worried it might annoy people.

I've fixed the immediate problems, link for update is above

joe-ilya said:

Thats an entertaining map, very strange design - almost random with weird angled walls and mixed up textures (could do with a bit of texture alignment work).

The gameplay is fast and fun and it lives up to its name with all the traps. One thing I'm not sure about is the drop down right at the start, if you have woken up the monsters down there then they come and block the hole. I could ride over their heads in zdoom but don't know how other ports will cope with that..

mouldy said:

Thats an entertaining map, very strange design - almost random with weird angled walls and mixed up textures (could do with a bit of texture alignment work).

The gameplay is fast and fun and it lives up to its name with all the traps. One thing I'm not sure about is the drop down right at the start, if you have woken up the monsters down there then they come and block the hole. I could ride over their heads in zdoom but don't know how other ports will cope with that..

I'll add block monsters line , sorry for the mistake.
The fixed trap : http://www.mediafire.com/?f7rif31cmmehk36

Thank you for you'r feedback.

joe-ilya said:

I'll add block monsters line , sorry for the mistake.
The fixed trap : http://www.mediafire.com/?f7rif31cmmehk36

Thank you for you'r feedback.

I've also noticed some monsters are stuck:
Chaingunner, zombieman and sergeant on sector 237
mancubus on sector 269
imp on sector 230

some of them are up on platforms too thin for them to move, the manc is a bit stuck in the wall. When i went through it again to try and kill all monsters there were 2 i couldnt find, you might want to check all your teleporting monsters are getting out ok.
Also secret at sector 75 has the door sector marked secret as well, so its counting as 2 secrets.

Map23
A few texture misalignments here and there. Got to catch em all :)
Got stuck at red key door. Classic problem. You have stuck an linedef action in front of the door, making the door unusable. Put tag 61 further away from the door so the red key door can be opened.
In the circle lava area, a couple of rockets cannot be accessed due to blocking corpses.
Gameplay - fine :)
Note all comments refer up to red key door. I stopped after being blocked.

Joseph Lord said:

Here is the final version of map23 if all is well.

http://www.speedyshare.com/fNHht/map23.wad

I was about to ask where the fun was but then i remembered the original barrels o fun was pretty harsh too. I feel like it was quite an achievement getting through that map, each bit seemed impossible at first but then after a few deaths it becomes like solving a puzzle. My favourite bit is getting the 2 barons to fight each other at the start.

The only graphical glitch i found was these 2 hanging bodies moving down to the floor when the secret wall lowered:

mouldy said:

I've also noticed some monsters are stuck:
Chaingunner, zombieman and sergeant on sector 237
mancubus on sector 269
imp on sector 230

some of them are up on platforms too thin for them to move, the manc is a bit stuck in the wall. When i went through it again to try and kill all monsters there were 2 i couldnt find, you might want to check all your teleporting monsters are getting out ok.
Also secret at sector 75 has the door sector marked secret as well, so its counting as 2 secrets.

Fixed all of this + another I found , : http://www.mediafire.com/?4mw87a8vbwe3rt9

In a fit of rage at the disorganisation of my Downloads section, I've deleted most of the un-updated WADs and am going through the OP again.

By the way, I stumbled across the finished MIDI for Xaser's map. It's good ;)

EDIT: Since I now have ZDL, I will actually be choco-testing! [/shock]

Just working my way through all the maps so far, nice variety of styles. Some pretty tough cookies in there.

On glenzinho's map Downtown there appears to be a mancubus stuck in a wall: thing 521

Here is an in-progress of bugs I discovered while chocorenderlimit testing. All non-monster related. Click the thumbnails to enlarge

MAP05

1. Floating armour bonuses in red key area
MAP07
  1. Visplane overflow in subterranean area. Oh wait this is me..
    This is actually very hard to trigger unless you're trying.
MAP10
Quite a few on this one. I know you had problems with this area, but Visplane Explorer won't get everything. See the first post in this thread for a link to chocorenderlimits, the program I'm using here.
  1. Drawseg Overflow. The purple blocks in the screenshot represent the Hall of Mirrors that results

2. Another Drawseg Overflow in the same area. This one is pretty nasty. There are far worse cases that can be found standing here too.

3. Tutti effect. Quite a few of these in this area

4. Another form of tutti effect in this room.

5. Easy to trigger Visplane Overflow. Check all of this room, there could easily be more.
MAP20
I'm quite impressed with how this map is coming along. Some texture alignment issues that need to be fixed, but it's..crazy! :P
As far as I can see, you just missed a few textures here, indicated by the purple.

I think that's the lot

NOTE: Didn't test MAP15, because I couldn't download it (problem on my end no doubt), MAP19 because..well..and MAP24 because that needs a major overhaul.

It's weird how Joseph Lord created MAP23, a pretty decent map then MAP24 which is odd, to say the least :P

Sorry for butting into your thread but I was just wondering if you wanted new music to go with the levels or just keep the original doom2 track. I could help compose.

Flamen0d said:

Sorry for butting into your thread but I was just wondering if you wanted new music to go with the levels or just keep the original doom2 track. I could help compose.

There aren't many slots open for new music as those that don't have new tracks are intended to be kept that way, but thanks.

New music is optional for levels submitted this project. If any of the mappers need new music for their levels then I should hope they'll say here for you.

Note that MAP22 and MAP31 DO have new music tracks, despite not being properly availiable yet.

I've found a couple of places in map 25 that cause problems, I'll have to look into that

mouldy said:

On glenzinho's map Downtown there appears to be a mancubus stuck in a wall: thing 521

Thanks for that. I'll look at it soon and make the fix.

Eris Falling said:

MAP10
Quite a few on this one.

1 & 2 are fixed in next beta, 5th I can probably fix it...

But holy fuck, I am gonna put that Tutti Frutti Effect into eternal damnation.
And then start fix rumba tomorrow. I found that there are other places where this shit happens, and goddamn it if I can't straighten them out.

.:edit:.
I still decided to look things through, looks like some are just oversight (wrong alignment), or unfitting texture.

Expect beta 2 coming out this week. Mostly monster tweaks (major), few area tweaks (simple changes and additions) and itty gritty detailing so it won't look it has textures were just slapped and aligned.

Eris Falling said:

Here is an in-progress of bugs I discovered while chocorenderlimit testing. All non-monster related. Click the thumbnails to enlarge

MAP20
I'm quite impressed with how this map is coming along. Some texture alignment issues that need to be fixed, but it's..crazy! :P

As far as I can see, you just missed a few textures here, indicated by the purple.

I think that's the lot

Fixed : Overplane of the textures and the alignment , http://www.mediafire.com/?4mw87a8vbwe3rt9

Eris Falling said:

That download is broken. Though it may just be the joys of internet in the arsehole of the UK.

Let's wait for other responses , I also think that this version is the final.