Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

schwerpunk said:

One thing's for sure: Unlike with my Suburbs attempt, I wouldn't go for symbolism-over-gameplay again, particularly because the symbolism employed didn't seem to resonate with anyone but myself. :P

If it's the one map I'm thinking of, and looking at the map list I think it is, I quite liked your part, which if I'm not mistaken was the initial version, the indoor part with a shitton of doors? I dunno if I've pulled it out of my ass but I felt like it was indeed a pretty great, if overly symbolic, depiction of suburbs. Of course, people with no imagination whatsoever ruined it by going "hurr durr there are no suburbs in this map" (you know who you are... and I don't) :P

Eris Falling said:

Do bear in mind that Ultimate Doom In Name Only is confirmed to be started after this is released, and will be led by Jayextee.

That rude dude didn't respond to my personal messsage, so now I'm doubting he has quite the presence of mind to be leading a project!

There's a good chance he hasn't seen it, apparently PM messes up like that sometimes.
He can't be any worse than Eris Falling who I PM'd about 8 months ago now, without reply. I doubt he'll ever get back to me on that. Dick.

Eris Falling said:

There's a good chance he hasn't seen it, apparently PM messes up like that sometimes.
He can't be any worse than Eris Falling who I PM'd about 8 months ago now, without reply. I doubt he'll ever get back to me on that. Dick.

Lol

Eris Falling said:

Yeah, I remember you mentioning that. What a douche!

Also the PM tracking thingie page told me he's read it. Hey Jay, I know you visit this thread, reply to my goddamn PM!

Ooft. I saw it, I was going to consider my response (which I did) and then got busy making more content for SLaVE. My bad. Will get on the response forthwith. ;)

Man, how do you people do that? A certain Alfonzo did the same exact thing before too. Is it just me who always replies right away when I read a message? If I'm not in the mood I just choose to hold off reading it. Is that weird?

Antroid said re MAP16:

If it's the one map I'm thinking of, and looking at the map list I think it is, I quite liked your part, which if I'm not mistaken was the initial version, the indoor part with a shitton of doors? I dunno if I've pulled it out of my ass but I felt like it was indeed a pretty great, if overly symbolic, depiction of suburbs. Of course, people with no imagination whatsoever ruined it by going "hurr durr there are no suburbs in this map" (you know who you are... and I don't) :P

Yay! It resonated with somebody!

That all said, I still won't be going for symbolic again. At least not for a community project. I'll save that stuff for my personal maps that I never actually release. :P

EDIT: grammar

Antroid said:

Man, how do you people do that? A certain Alfonzo did the same exact thing before too. Is it just me who always replies right away when I read a message? If I'm not in the mood I just choose to hold off reading it. Is that weird?

[-.-]Yes.[/-.-]

Hey, I wasn't being too serious either.
Also there's a color tag on doomworld? wut? I don't think I've ever seen colored text here.

Colour tags are only usable by the all powerful ones.

Okay, and now the actual reason for this bump.
I've given this some thought so hopefully I won't go "Ohno I've made a terrible mistake!!" afterwards. All I ask is that you don't go forming an angry mob outside my window, kthx.

Marcaek is right, and because of this, there would be barely any trace of what this map was originally by the time I would be finished with it. And that's a good thing. I mean, yeah, it's pretty neat visually in a few places, but other than that I can't say I'm very impressed with it now. What I have been working on for the past month or however long its been is my alleged solution to this, but progress is very slow, and with the combination of my fading will to work on the map and the constant stream of work that's demanded by college, I don't even see the minimum amount of revamp getting done, let alone fixing the rest of the map. Now, had I been revamping this during the wait for MAP24, maybe it wouldn't be such a problem. If we think that MAP24 was uploaded around November time, then I expect MAP22 would have been finished maybe the past couple of weeks and we'd be going to Beta right now, but this is ridiculous. I can visualise what the finished version would look like, both sections of it, but the timescale is ridiculous. I know that just last week I said that the map should be done for this month, but now for all I know, the map could still be unfinished as this year draws to a close, and that length of time waiting on ONE map seems so unnecessary.
This project already has its fair share of pretty damn good maps: 15, 19, 28, 29 and 31 to name a few, so MAP22 may not even stand out so well when it is done. Having this project loom over me, knowing that I'm still yet to get this past beta and to a final release reminds me that we are still seemingly so far from being done, another reason why I have no interest in taking the position of project leader again, it's not a role I am suited to, as I've said (and demonstrated, think of the alpha release) several times during development. MAP22 will be my first map that sees official release. Perhaps it may be best to use what was made to begin with and call it first (meh, second) map shittiness. "Take your time Eris, it's quality we're after," has been said, but I feel the line has to be drawn somewhere. Besides, I'd rather spend the little mapping time I have on other things, rather than just detailing more and more and more and more tunnels and cavernous areas.

Having cleared this up, I think I seem to have some sort of idea of what we can expect from this project in the near future:

1 - MAP22, with an update to the cathedral area only, since that was done anyway. Credited to a Mr. Aries Thölin, because I'm not sure I really like the idea of my proper handle being on what I already know is an unintentionally low-quality map.
2 - New story music, because what I put there first is awful, and I need to contribute SOMETHING decent to this project.
3 - Beta, stuff that comes after that, "map22 is shitzors", final release etc etc.

I'm sorry this has been delayed significantly for effectively no reason whatsoever, but I feel that this decision I have made of sacrificing one good map out of several to see actual completion is the correct decision.
It's time D2INO was finished. It shouldn't be delayed any more. MAP22 does at least fit its title.
End of post.

GlaDOS said:

Now, I only want this Done...
Now, I only want this Done..
Now, I only want this
dooonnnnneee.

Sorry if I seemed impatient. Just popped in my head.

EDIT: I like my version of quote with the name bolded and actual quote italicized.

Eris Falling said:

stuff

Mate, your map was fine as it was when I last played it. If you decide to overhaul it every time someone says something detrimental (when they haven't even played it?) then it will never be finished.

Take what is done and scrap what isn't and call it a day I would. If you still aren't happy then post it here and let some of us have a look. Nobody here had a bad thing to say about it last time, so its obviously not the piece of shit you think it is.

It is rather annoying though, knowing that it could've been better than it will be. At least that what is seen in the OP can be included, though it'll need some tweaking to match up with the original layout.
I should be able to get that track (which can't decide what style it's going for) finished soon as well since it's mostly done, so a Beta for next week is definitely possible.

It's good, and Doomy. But I don't understand why did you put effort into such a complicated and long melody when most players will probably read and skip the story in much shorter time, not to say that some of them will skip it immediately.

I like it, but if it was me I would pretty much scrap everything up until the 1:00 mark where those couple heavy chords kick in. Just a matter of personal taste. Great stuff!

Edit: scifista42 summed it up better why I would start from about a minute in.

Oh hey, a beta? I hope I have time for that. I'm still pressed for time with the Stomper testing. GOTTA CRITICISE ERIS' MAP SO HARD that he spends the next lifetime perfecting it B)

I'm about to compile this.
Just posting to say that before compiling, I fixed some bugs in MAP01, and removed the BFG in MAP08. It has been replaced by a plasma rifle. Since it's a secret area, this should have little/no impact on the overall gameplay.

Eris Falling said:

D_READ_M
Thoughts?

beautiful epicness! I imagined doomguy telling his story with this music on the background. Listened to it on the train, not giving a shit about people looking at me as i didn't have earphones with me.

Aw man, the beta starts while my Dooming machine is off getting the screen replaced. Guess I'll be playing catch-up.

Make sure to test that the end wad works in all sorts of ports and probably total vanilla too! And all textures that we inserted display properly and whatnot!

Do my eyes deceive me? Is that a light glimmering at the end of the tunnel?

Has anyone tested it all out in co-op mode?

Antroid said:

And all textures that we inserted display properly and whatnot!

They seem to be fine in PrBoom+, Chocolate Doom, and ZDoom. Except for one error. Opening MAP31 in the editor (GZDB) produces some weird results.
Every brick texture is either a waterfall or a mudfall, and yet this doesn't appear in-game, in any port. I have no clue what's causing it.