Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

Capellan said:

* I have no idea how you're reflecting the level title of "Gotcha!"

Holy shit, I completely forgot about that. Well we're going to need a shitload of traps if you ask me to add as well as proper visuals.

Eris Falling said:

You'll need to put DOOM2.WAD in your chocorenderlimits folder.

I did, but still with the problem

Eris Falling said:

Holy shit, I completely forgot about that. Well we're going to need a shitload of traps if you ask me to add as well as proper visuals.

Or some other theme for Gotcha! If you could set up the level as a chase, for instance, that would work for the name (and be more fun than traps IMO. We'll get enough of those on map08)

Also, I may have worked out why chocolate-doom is crashing when I try to open those doors - there's a multi-patch texture on a 2-sided linedef (those floating switches). Vanilla Doom gets the medusa effect when you do that. Choco, it seems, just crashes.

The floating switches have to go. Not only do they look silly, but they aren't vanilla compatible.

scifista42 said:

MAP13.
Unfortunately I have to say I don't like visuals of this map. Yes, you were trying to make it look realistic, but... it just looks ugly. You are doing the same mistake as one Czech mapper, jaeden, used to do (I hope he doesn't kill me for saying this). Different parts of your map are either too large and thick and with extremely high ceiling, or too cramped, long and thin. Either too underdetailed, or with too much unnecessary small details, which look ugly. Either with too many objects (monsters), or with no objects. Either boxy, or with million walls of different angles. But the worst and most ugly thing is that the crossing between these parts of your level are too sharp. You are mixing too many different textures, shapes and heights. Examples:
The gameplay is unfortunately spoiled by some annoyances like monsters behind a midtexture or suddenly popping out (often behind you), pain elementals attacking you from close range etc. If I forget them (which is not easy)... ehh, the map is quite well playable. There are some interesting ideas used in this map, but putting into practice... Sometimes you run out of ammo, but that's not so big problem since you have the berserk from the beginning. Sometimes you get lost, which is slightly bigger problem, but it's possible to deal with that.
In total, I must admit, you put a lot of effort to detail, but the result isn't very good, at least I feel so. I'm sorry, but I think this is one of the worse maps here.

I played MAP17 again and found out a bug: the player can get stuck in the plasmarifle secret. Fix that if possible, please.

Hey bloke... I´ve just arrived in Brazil from Australia and just seen your report and I´m crushed..... Not! I´m looking at your screenshots and they look f´n awesome!! What a f´n cool map for f´s sake! Happy Christmas to you BTW. Perhaps if others involved in the project can support your statement then I may see things differently. What´s the crime of having million walls of different angles? What´s so sharp? I didn´t poke my eyes out making this map...;) I admit, it´s not the norm, but I´ll never be caught dead making the norm. Is this what everyone thinks about the map? If so, let me know, because not many have given feedback as of yet. There´s not many monsters behind midtextures here, just one if I recall correctly. Don´t want to sound like a drunkard (although I am ;) but I fail to see the problem in my map. Drunk glenzinho on holiday over and out.....

BTW, where´s the F´n Cacowards?

I should probably contribute something to this, shouldn't I? *Sheepish grin*

Sorry I've been AWOL, but I sort of hit creative roadblocks with the maps I've been trying to make: I had a great idea for MAP09 that's impossible for Co-Op and MAP25 looked too similar to the original for my liking. I'll do my level best to make a decent map for this, I promise. BTW Glenzinho, the Cacowards are up now. :) Eris beat me to it.

I liked map13 too, I thought it was challenging, nice looking and fun to explore. Also it's interesting to compare it to the author's old city map made in 1995 (Park of Doom or something like that).

*sniff* aw shucks guys... you know how to make a drunk scottish, australian, greek, quasi-brazilian guy feel good... MERRY XMAS TO ALL!!! heh Memfis, you played Park of Doom? You are my cold stolichniya ruski hero! BTW, my mum doesn´t think It's ugly... she thinks It's BEAUTIFUL!

Joseph Lord said:

I'm sure it is properly fixed. If not, I will have to take more extreme actions.

http://www.speedyshare.com/NFnA3/map23.wad

You've done a lot of work to address the problem. Bravo. But you're not there yet.

You exceed the drawsegs limit when you look north through the red door. And if you look east from yellow key door ...

When I played map 13 I didn't mind it either. It plays a lot differently to say my map in the city section with strange angular rooms and some solid height variation. I made a few complaints on the first released but they have been addressed. Might play the newest version again soon and try and find some more stuff to talk about.

Hey gang, I've made some adjustments to my entry for map 17:

The Tenements

I've ensured that the BFG secret is not easily accessable from the start, and I've also fixed the plasma rifle secret so you can't be trapped by it (the linedefs were facing the wrong way!). I've also spiced up the red key area with a spider mommy, she wishes you a merry christmas and so do I. Hope you all enjoy it!

EDIT: just realised that I haven't done anything to fix the lines in regards to making them hidden or to not show traps, etc. Consider that to be on my to-do list when I post the final completed version some time next week.

Capellan said:

The floating switches have to go. Not only do they look silly, but they aren't vanilla compatible.

ok ill make a platform

Hi my mates, progress check deadline is close, my map is still far from being finished so I'm posting most recent info and screenshots to prove I'm doing something.

First of all, I must say that I'm afraid that my map won't fit to the project well due to its gigantic size and difficult navigation through it. Player will spent really lot of time in this map even if he knew where to go. I'm trying to make there hints, such as coloured torches along the right way or messages on the automap, but I'm afraid it won't be enough. Therefore, after I will finish the ending part of it and release the first version, maybe I'll start simplifying or even removing whole sections.

Here is automap screenshot.

(for comparison, here is automap screenshot from 30th October: http://i.imgur.com/OnWEq.png)

The biggest progress I made in past month, especially in past ten days, is related to this system of underground corridors. These corridors are really dark, but you get several light googles in them so don't worry. Their purpose is to connect the main playing area with the yellow key area, nothing else. They (themselves) do NOT contain any switches or parts that are necessary to visit in order to beat the map, in fact, most of these corridors are absolutely optional and it's up to the player if he wants to explore them entirely or not. They are one big maze, but I tried to make some memorable landmarks in them such as wine cellar, oubliette, lava river, storage rooms, this or this :).

And finally, for those who like exact statistics, I'm enclosing this list: (all is for UV difficulty)

Map size: 1 420 327 bytes
BLOCKMAP lump size: 44 306 bytes
Sectors: 1767
Linedefs: 8583
One-sided linedefs: 4108
Two-sided linedefs: 4475
Secrets: 18
Things: 1370
Soulspheres: 3 (2 in secrets)
Megaspheres: 4 (1 in secret)
Invisibility: 2
Invulnerability: 1 (they're more on lower difficulties)
Light googles: 5 (1 in secret)
Radsuits: 5 (2 in secrets)
Monsters: 441
Masterminds: 2
Cyberdemons: 6 (don't worry, several of them are harmless and/or can be telefragged)

no hitscanners except the masterminds

scifista42 said:

Hi my mates, progress check deadline is close, my map is still far from being finished so I'm posting most recent info and screenshots to prove I'm doing something.

First of all, I must say that I'm afraid that my map won't fit to the project well due to its gigantic size and difficult navigation through it. Player will spent really lot of time in this map even if he knew where to go. I'm trying to make there hints, such as coloured torches along the right way or messages on the automap, but I'm afraid it won't be enough. Therefore, after I will finish the ending part of it and release the first version, maybe I'll start simplifying or even removing whole sections.

I'm going to try and make the rest of MAP22 very hard to navigate too, because who wouldn't get lost alone in catacombs if there's only one way out? I'm aiming for about 20-40 minutes gameplay time, depending on your navigation, so it should make your level fit a bit better.
I can understand MAP13 will confuse people too as what is supposed to be done. I was completely stumped, so I don't think you need to get rid of anything, unless you've broken a limit of some kind.

That automap looks awesome so far, congratulations on being the first submission to exceed 1MB :P

Regarding deadlines, MAP12, 16 and 24 are almost confirmed to open up on Tuesday. When I do, I'll also mark every map that isn't finished as "WIP?"
As with this month, if it's still "WIP?" on the end of January 31st, it's open.
Just trying to keep things ticking over...

flipping heck that is one huge level.
General theme of the wad so far is pretty much this.
Imagine the balrog scene from the first LOTR film and Gandalf stands there and shouts, "YOU SHALL NOT SAVE" :P

I wouldn't mind a huge citadel level in the wad, to be honest I think I still get lost in the original every time. Haven't beaten doom 2 nearly enough times apparently. The only thing that bothers me is the sheer number of boss monsters. I wish you'd cut down on those significantly, but hey it's your map and not my project even.

P.s. I'm apparently able to make myself busy even after finishing everything uni-related, so I probably won't resume work on anything doom-related until some time into january...

I just playtested my map. I wanted to get to the exit as fast as possible. I tried to visit only places that are necessary, but I needed more ammo so I had to go to some side parts and secrets.

Result time: 48 minutes. 48 MINUTES!!! And it doesn't include the final battle (which is unfinished).

I'm writing this just for you to realize HOW huge it is.
And note for myself: add more ammo.

scifista42 said:

I just playtested my map. I wanted to get to the exit as fast as possible. I tried to visit only places that are necessary, but I needed more ammo so I had to go to some side parts and secrets.

Result time: 48 minutes. 48 MINUTES!!! And it doesn't include the final battle (which is unfinished).

I'm writing this just for you to realize HOW huge it is.
And note for myself: add more ammo.

Turbo 1
cl_run false
Seriously though, that's pretty damn insane. I look forward to playing this.

Ragnor said:

Just wondering...did anyone know the history of this map? Looks like your not the first to try this project!

Yeah, but those three maps were just about all the progress that happened on Doom 2: Reincarnate. So this project is doing a bit better :)

My apologies for waiting until the tail end of the month to announce this, but I feel as though my map03 slot should be given up to someone more enthusiastic and better equipped to have a go. I'm totally lacking in creativity at the moment and haven't progressed an inch since when I last worked on the map.

Sorry 'bout that. Best of luck!

I was aware that the idea of the project had been done before. Ella knew that too. To be honest, I'm surprised no-one has confused it with D2TWID yet :P

MAP03 is open for takers.

Eris Falling said:

I was aware that the idea of the project had been done before. Ella knew that too. To be honest, I'm surprised no-one has confused it with D2TWID yet :P

MAP03 is open for takers.

Would love to.