Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

Alpha version of Map03 is basically done.
Unfortunately I had to severely cut back on the shading in the outside region of the map... hurt but visplanes are now at 126 at the most critical point. Looks naked now but does the job.

Map + Shot

MajorRawne said:

What difficulty level are we aiming for?

MAP06 should be somewhere between Easy/Medium in terms of difficulty. Remember, no Arachnotrons, Cybers, or Mancubi.

The start of MAP24 is just plain ridiculous. How was I supposed to know that one of the teeth on the face is a switch?

MAP10: I'm mixed. Some of the rooms are a tad bland, although this only an alpha obviously. I do like the flashing corridor towards the exit, which reminded me slightly of a similar scene in Doom 3.
I think that one of the rooms is too similar to the original, and you must know the one I mean :P
Some may disagree with me though. I didn't make the 'homage to original' rule.

MAP03: From what I can see...you are going for the less well known definition of gantlet

Military / Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)

Eris Falling said:

MAP10: I'm mixed. Some of the rooms are a tad bland, although this only an alpha obviously. I do like the flashing corridor towards the exit, which reminded me slightly of a similar scene in Doom 3.
I think that one of the rooms is too similar to the original, and you must know the one I mean :P
Some may disagree with me though. I didn't make the 'homage to original' rule.

About the blandness:
The main outdoor area is bit problematic due to number of drawsegs, and I already had to cut out most of the detailing. And I just checked eastern segment and it is over the verge of maximum limits of drawsegs, in fact.
And another problem why they are bland, is because I am currently out of ideas. :P

About the homage to original:
Didn't had any thoughts or ideas how I would make sort of base mainframe and control, so I decided to "rip" from original, and turn it into some sort homage, if bit too blatant. :P (What that area was supposed to be anyway?)
Anyway, would you like to keep it as is, remove it completely with something new or modify it? (I guess I can make it look more mainframe and control with few simple things, yet give some sort deja vu.)

Anyway, thanks for some feedback. :)

Kongming said:

Hey, I hope everything goes well with this project so far...
I could create another map, if any of them are abandoned at the moment, or if any of you have too much work finishing several maps.

Reposting real quick. As I said, if this project needs help with any map, I'm here ;P

I didn't mind map10 to be honest, whilst some areas needed sprucing up (some of the corridors look rather bland) I liked some of the little quirks you put into the map in an attempt to give a realistic picture of the surroundings whilst not allowing them to openly interfere with progress in the map.

Map03 is "done" besides some tweaking and hence ripe for testing... will take ~one day for the upload.
Do not shitteth thy pants about progress on Map14 - I was busy with the base of Map03... maybe I've got some spare diapers laying around somewhere. ^^
Having finished the alpha of Map03 I can now continue with Map14.

Wolfenstain also sounds like a nature map because wolf is nature and stains too , and nature also has lots of secrets , so it's also really fitting to put a secret exit

joe-ilya said:

Wolfenstain also sounds like a nature map because wolf is nature and stains too , and nature also has lots of secrets , so it's also really fitting to put a secret exit

WOLFENSTAIN!!!!!
sorry but this made me laugh :P
your only saving grace
Wolfenstein
"The Wolfenstein is an isolated rock formation, located between Tirschenreuth and Hohenwald in Bavaria.
Due to erosion, the granite blocks appear to look like a pile of bags."
I suppose that is natural

Beta Release.
It consists only few changes in aesthetic design, but to make it tad bit exciting, I did some enemy and item placement. Contains all difficulties.

Shoot slag or throw roses, I don't care, just gimme yer thoughts.

cannonball said:

WOLFENSTAIN!!!!!

Oh dear , what a huge mistake.

Also : is this dead? Nobody comments like 2 days.

joe-ilya said:

Nobody comments like 2 days.

Dude, it's not even been ONE day yet :P My internet died completely last night/this morning so I was unable to post anything.
I've witnessed TNT2 go for nearly 2 weeks without a post, and that's still going.

As Bruce said:
Do not shitteth thy pants

Welp, might as well do project stuff now then ^_^

This project is not dead, Saturday's happening :D
No doom for me today apart from one level from memento mori for doomworld megawad club. Shall play new levels tomorrow including map10 and 20 before a family meal
Edit oh and maps23 and 24

Map24

Visplane explorer shows a few small trouble spots.

The opening room switches make no sense.

This is not map23, what's with all the barrels?

Linedef 902, 924 and 918 have no tag number (nor do the sectors I suppose they are meant to effect) making it impossible to get back up to the platforms once you're in the nukage.

Linedef 760/751/746 also has no tag number, blocking progress through the level at this point.

Italicised means I can easily do them myself when necessary.

THE TO DO LIST

MAP02 - Fix a bad case of alignment, yellow door textures?
MAP05 - Difficulty implementation.
MAP07 - Minor aesthetic fix in centre room
MAP13 - Put the player 1 start back. Music?
MAP15 - Difficulty implementation.
MAP17 - Difficulty implementation.
MAP18 - Difficulty implementation?  When I moved it to MAP18, I forgot to rename the music apparently 
MAP19 - Those short skies really BUG me
MAP22 - I found some neat music from CC4/Blood that can go in this map
MAP26 - Difficulty implementation.
EDIT

Cannonball said:
No doom

wut

Eris Falling said:

MAP13's P1 start has moved to the exit area

He must of got bored and went wandering... I've sent him back to the start to wait in perpetuity until it's time for action.

Map 13 link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1osrrr5fcobubjg

joe-ilya said:

Less talk, more action... you've got work to do! And for the love of god, wipe that wolfenstain off your pants.

joe-ilya said:

Oh dear , what a huge mistake.

Bloody hell, if that's dead I'd hate to know what's going on with Panophobia. It goes weeks without any posts.

Speaking of Wolfenstains, I figure I may as well show a quick update on what's been spilled on the carpet lately:

Apparently, wolfenstains are very, very gray.

I just finished doing a Big Thing and am relatively free for some time, I want to do other things but I feel like I owe it to this project to finally get map29 to a finished state, and since we haven't heard from Olympus since our little dispute over map28, maybe I should start working on it in the meantime too. If he suddenly returns with a finished one we'll just choose the more fitting one.

MajorRawne said:

Bloody hell, if that's dead I'd hate to know what's going on with Panophobia. It goes weeks without any posts.

D2TWID went for nearly 3 months without any posts.

Xaser, I seriously cannot wait to play this level, it looks awesome.

Antroid, I think that's probably the best idea for MAP28.

Spoiler

Since this is the only map that this might apply to, then I could even throw the "reject" map into MAP33.

@glenzinho: Map13... the part with the remains of the road in the acid looks really cool. I totally despise Doom maps that portrait some "real" setting and are Dukey Nukey but your broken road part is very nice.

Alpha of Map03...
-Difficulty partially implemented
-Multiplayer partially implemented
-Texturing just what's needed
-Items sparse
-Slot Map01 for now
-link http://speedy.sh/Wn7nm/gtl51a.rar

Map02
-"fixed" yellow door... the door frame texturing was on purpose but I can see that in regards to playability/clarity it's better to yellow frame to the max.
-switch texture is aligned now
-slot is now Map02
link http://speedy.sh/UwHgd/uh36.rar

Continued work on Map14... I'm considering redesigning a whole lot of the map if time permits. I've become quite the picky anus when it comes to forms and texture work.

Here are some quick reviews
Map03 (or will be anyway) - Whilst the detailing is pretty simple, it looks nice with a lot of nice touches giving a quite grimy effect. Monster placement and difficulty are fine for the most part. I think the crusher area could have the area where crushing happens shrunk a bit as I fell victim to this as I was left in a position of either being crushed or gang banged by five imps at once, not nice.
Was playing map10 but was having trouble with playing it with the mudwater wad, things went horribly wrong for some reason
Map23 and 24 later

cannonball said:

Here are some quick reviews
Map03 (or will be anyway) - Whilst the detailing is pretty simple, it looks nice with a lot of nice touches giving a quite grimy effect. Monster placement and difficulty are fine for the most part. I think the crusher area could have the area where crushing happens shrunk a bit as I fell victim to this as I was left in a position of either being crushed or gang banged by five imps at once, not nice.

Although the map in general is OK and the gameplay is quite good, I have to say, the crushers annoyed me a bit too.
I also didn't see the interpretation of "The Gantlet" unless I'm being kinda dim.

It reminded me a little of the original map, but laid out a bit better and a bit more open with less closed off areas