Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

cannonball said:

It reminded me a little of the original map, but laid out a bit better and a bit more open with less closed off areas

I didn't see the gantlet there either >.>

Before I forget - Sources! I'd like to get these blanks filled in :P

Music
MAP01: DLA - Mark Klem - Doom II: Memento Mori (PC)
MAP07: Ah, Geez! - Lee Jackson - DN3D (PC)
MAP11: _____
MAP12: Bergschrund - James Paddock - Doom II: UAC Ultra (PC)
MAP15: Quad Machine - Sonic Mayhem - Quake II (PC)
MAP18: I Choose the Stairs - Lee Jackson - Rise of the Triad (PC)
MAP19: _____ // Btw, a MIDI from Blood would go very well in this map
MAP21: Eruyt Village - Hitosho Sakimoto -  Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
MAP22: Fate of the Damned - Mike Cody - Blood (PC)
MAP31: Evil Incarcerated - James Paddock

Textures
MUDWATER.WAD
Doom Juan - MAP31
id Software (RCTW) - MAP31 

Music wise
Map01 - DLA by Mark Klem (used in Memento Mori (maps03 and 27)
Map12 - Bergschrund by James Paddock (used in UAC Ultra map06)
Map21 - Eruyt village track from Final Fantasy XII (this is also used in Map19 of Speed of Doom and map21 of Epic 2)
Ones I know anyway

The MAP31 Jimmytrack is called "Evil Incarcerated," and it's written specifically for the map. The texture credits for MAP31 go to Doom Juan for supplying 'em and id for RTCW, the source of several.

Right, played map23
rage quit in the green brick area near the start. Simply put, start area not real place to hide with an onslaught of rockets from cybers, especially with a cockblocking spider.
The next 2 rooms before quitting, blocking sprites, my most hated foe. The outdoor area is ok, but the flaming barrels in the following room are just not acceptable. I died constantly and ran out of ammo, you have to kill the baron/hell knights before advancing, before then a million losts souls have been spawned all over the place = game over.
Map24 - illogical switches are illogical, that is all

Map03
-thx for checking it out
-Removed one crusher.
-rearranged some items
-a good Gantlet map would have been E3M2 if you take the meaning of it as a glove used for the purpose of calling someone out. I loosely implemented the finger shaped architecture and used the last part of the map as parody of an obstacle course + the brown textures remind me of leathery material.
-upload later to avoid to many mini revisions

Map20
Sector 67 needs fixing (showing sky texture on floor, looks a little odd). If using doombuilder, just merge that sector with sector 65 giving the sector same height and textures.
Entire red key area needs height variation.
Whilst you have a good knack for monster closets, perhaps using different types of traps would be nice to make the gameplay less repetitive.
The second to last area. Apart from some texture misalignments, I thought this was all right. I like the minecraft-esque tree :)
You are really obsessive with that exit. I would recommend a teleport pad or similar exit to the original map20 (pit with the floor showing the sky texture)

cannonball said:

(pit with the floor showing the sky texture)

To me, SKY2 looks shit when used like this. However, the pit doesn't have to use a sky texture.

An exit like that of TNT MAP31, would look fine to me. Failing that, the teleporter pad, or even an type 11 floor exit.

I'm still holding on to MAP27. Though I also have to do other things, I'm trying to find time to look at my map and add rooms and such. I've added one. I hope i can make it till summer.

I shall spruce up map12 today and add difficulty settings. As for map15, umm I will probably rework the map a little bit. I need to make it much more epic given some of the new entries and xaser's almost guaranteed epic map31

Eris Falling said:

MAP19: _____ // Btw, a MIDI from Blood would go very well in this map

I stole the music from this site, it's the first midi music there (Pure Darkness).
However, Eris Falling, if you feel that another music would fit the map better, I'm of course permitting you to change it. Because I know that I've always been like tone-deaf, I mean I've never been good at recognizing a good/fitting music from a bad one. As for Blood music, I cannot say because I don't have it, I have only four Doom IWADs.

scifista42 said:

I stole the music from this site, it's the first midi music there (Pure Darkness).
However, Eris Falling, if you feel that another music would fit the map better, I'm of course permitting you to change it. Because I know that I've always been like tone-deaf, I mean I've never been good at recognizing a good/fitting music from a bad one. As for Blood music, I cannot say because I don't have it, I have only four Doom IWADs.

Personally I liked the music, very dark and moody, fits the atmosphere of the map nicely.

scifista42 said:

Personally I stole MAP22's Blood music from CC4. I'm sure there are others around in other megawads. I've never had much luck in finding them via Google EDIT: Just found them.

Note: Although I never said anything, the maplist IS updated. It always is :)

Out of curiosity, has anyone checked my map or is it satisfactory? Given that it is still beta, due to: enemy placement still sucks balls, STILL outta ideas to do filler in the map.And I've gotten reports that my wad and mudfall textures causes some glitching...

Map20

Ran around in no monsters mode, so this is purely a "looks and navigation" review.

Not sure what the point of 'signing' the map is, but to each their own on that front.

This is a big improvement on your last map. But it still has issues.

It's possible to pick up the blue key without triggering the trap there.

The exit isn't clearly signed.

Lighting variation - there's not enough of it.

The architecture is too boxy, and there's not enough variation in ceiling or floor heights. All the 90 degree angles and flat floors and ceilings make it feel more like Wolf3d than Doom - especially in the teleport section, with all its primary colours.

Speaking of the teleport section, please don't use doorblu and doorred for doors that don't need keys.

Capellan said:

Map20
Speaking of the teleport section, please don't use doorblu and doorred for doors that don't need keys.

Those WEREN'T key doors?

Anyway, I think MAP09 is getting sorted once and for all, I've been given a pre-alpha by BlueFireZ88, but it's in RAR format. I won't post the link until I definitely know that the map slot is actually confirmed.
NB: Obsidian has pulled out.

EDIT: Expect MAP22 in March/April and MAP30 in July

Eris Falling said:

Those WEREN'T key doors?

You have to open them to flick the switches that get you the red key.

Capellan said:
The exit isn't clearly signed.

Since when do exists have to be clearly signed?

The original Inmost Dens did it. Why is it wrong now?

Edit: Er.. I guess it was the switches inside that were keyed, not the doors. I've seen it done in megawads though and didn't think anything of it. In any case, I (as someone not participating in the project at all) think that's a group decision and not yours.

qoncept said:

Since when do exists have to be clearly signed?

They don't have to be, but it is nice to know where the exit is so you don't trigger it accidentally.

My problem with it is that a solid DOOR(colour) textured door looks awful in my opinion. Even if the door was replaced with pillars, I'd be happier.

Exits don't always have to be signed, but as Memfis said, I wouldn't want to hit an exit switch when I'm not finished with the map.

qoncept said:

think that's a group decision and not yours.

It's feedback. Not a dictum from on high.

That said, just because something was done before, doesn't make it a good design choice ... and IMO, using key textures for non-key doors is definitely not a good decision.

I'm dropping the Map 25 slot to mouldy due to having no real time to work on Doom related stuff these days... I'll still be looking forward to the finished result, so keep up the good work all!

Eruyt Village? X-D Heh, I'm playing FFXII right now. Try the Dalmasca Westersand or Garamsythe Waterway music on a map. Just a suggestion. :)

Just played Joe-ilya's map and the first thing that crossed my mind was "decent 1994 map". Sorry dude. :/

glenzinho said:

I'm dropping the Map 25 slot to mouldy due to having no real time to work on Doom related stuff these days... I'll still be looking forward to the finished result, so keep up the good work all!

I contacted him about this, then realised that you probably have done so already >_<

Anyway, I'll wait for his reply then update the OP

*MAP20 feedback TBA*