Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

Eris Falling said:

That download is broken. Though it may just be the joys of internet in the arsehole of the UK.

Worked fine for me, and I live in the gateway to hell :D

joe-ilya said:

Let's wait for other responses , I also think that this version is the final.

Nope :P
your mission if you choose to accept it is to find every misaligned texture and fix it.
Also texture usage. Certain textures don't really looks good if you use them outside of their boundaries (height and width specifications)
worst offender is the use of the bookshelf texture. Make sure to keep sector heights with these textures to 128, and width to be some multiple of 64, it looks really strange when used the way you have.
I ran out of ammo at the red key trap. Unless I was real sloppy with ammo management can you please add a little more ammo. Possibly a backpack earlier in the level and replace the backpack at the end of the map with something else.

MAP10: All errors fixed, except I can still just about trigger a VPO in the same place as before, by hugging one of the walls.

MAP20: I would suggest you make the mudfall at the start textured on both sides. Also in the teleport section you used a texture which is called SK_LEFT. It's one of those made out of dead bodies.
The major gripe I have with this is that you can see part of the large skull switch on the texture, and so it looks kind of odd to not have the whole thing. I noticed this problem with the texture while doing MAP22.

Use SLOPPY1 or SLOPPY2 as an alternative.

mouldy said:

The only graphical glitch i found was these 2 hanging bodies moving down to the floor when the secret wall lowered:

O.o Thats weird... Im gonna fix it. Thanks

cannonball: Thanks for that im gonna fix it too.
i will renew a part to make it more fun and not to hard

Playtest: Map10, map25 and map28, boths.
Map10 is great, very good, dont saw any bugs or shits.
The only thing is the supershootgun part with the action number 85. The actions says unknown to me.

Map25: A very great map too, nothing to add that has not been said before. But in the final part, the cyberdemon is stuck.

Map28: The map28spirit.wad show promise but is unfinished so nothing to add.
The other version is great, very good but i think that need more health, in the red key part, the revenants rape me over and over again.

My map24 is in process, i will make a change in 90°.

Joseph Lord said:

The only thing is the supershootgun part with the action number 85. The actions says unknown to me.

Action 85 is "Scroll Texture Right" which is a Boom feature.
Basically, they won't scroll in Vanilla Doom.
Action 48 instead.

Eris Falling said:

MAP10: All errors fixed, except I can still just about trigger a VPO in the same place as before, by hugging one of the walls.

Then don't hump the walls goddammit. >.<

I think it is those friggin' fuel (slime) leaks that causes VPO shit. I already shrunk those "pipes", but guess I was wrong...
Made blocking pillar, now the Visplane hits max 108. That should do the trick.

Joseph Lord said:

Woops. Some oversight when I misclicked wrong mapping format (Boom) and forgot to change that.

Fixed for next beta.

While converting the boss area of MAP30 to an underground theme, which looks badass with just a different ceiling, I'm finding that there are small visplane and drawseg issues.

So far I just gave the area a rock ceiling, but some of the sky still visible which is mistake gone well to me.

What are your thoughts on this area? Could it be done differently perhaps? I don't want to just go all guns blazing changing someone else's work.

EDIT: I am going to try and work a bit on MAP30 while I have time.

This is a quote from CM earlier in the thread, for my easy reference

- Luxuria (lust) // A short run through an imp-filled section with many rocket-launchers on pedestals; all of which are voodoo-doll death teleports. Lust all you want for that RL, it ain't happening.

-- Gula (gluttony) // A low-key run through an area with multiple paths; all of which have a power-up in them. ALWAYS go for the power-up of minimum gain (for example, if a berserk/soulsphere/megasphere choice is offered, go for the berserk) or it's death.

-- Avaritia (greed) // Kind of like TNT31's first section, but instead of coloured torches, each square has a power-up or something. Actually, some of them do not; take THOSE squares to be safe. This one would probably have a few projectile-throwers on the outside to keep the tension up.

-- Acedia (sloth) // I took 'sloth' to mean 'going slow'. This would be a time-limited run through an enemy-filled winding corridor with a slow crushing ceiling. A high one, though. Obviously there is limited time to get to the teleporter at the end of the section.

-- Ira (wrath) // You're in a set of barred corridors (MIDBAR texture) with soldiers (just the bog-standard pistol zombies) the other side. All the MIDBAR lines are tagged so that if shot (this is why I wanted to force a pistol, although the fist works too) doors open and all hell breaks loose and kills the fuck outta you. (Probably Masterminds
)
-- Invidia (envy) // I had no idea about this. Maybe just a gauntlet-run of enemies who all have weapons you covet. (Sergeant/shotguns, commando/chainguns, cyberdemon/RL, arachnotron/plasma)

-- Superbia (pride) // The icon itself. Pride comes before the fall

Few things that make me preen my (minimal) beard...

Walls look monotonous. Break it.

I like that "grabbing claws" thing. If you can somehow express and stress that without topping the Visplane/Drawseg limit...

CorSair said:

Few things that make me preen my (minimal) beard...

Walls look monotonous. Break it.

I like that "grabbing claws" thing. If you can somehow express and stress that without topping the Visplane/Drawseg limit...

It's already over the drawseg limit >_<
I like the claws too, but I'm pretty sure they are the main offender for drawsegs. I just have no idea what to do about this area.
It's a clever fight though and very hard in my opinion.

Eris Falling said:

It's already over the drawseg limit >_<

Woops, misread the post.

Another form how claws could look is to reduce them to three, and make then more thin, to give them bit of edge and some demonic look.

Maybe.

Or just replace brown ash platforms with a lift. Will decrease DRAWSEGS a lot, but also will influence the gameplay, so it'll become "just another stereotypical IOS fight" again.

Eris Falling said:

This is a quote from CM earlier in the thread, for my easy reference

I have to say, none of those actually sound like fun, to me.

Here's 3rd version of map25:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wj921lzgjnyk2ad

Hopefully fixed all vanilla problems, also added difficulty settings and optimised automap.

Joseph Lord said:

Map25: A very great map too, nothing to add that has not been said before. But in the final part, the cyberdemon is stuck.

cheers. I've given that cyber a bit more elbow room now.

I really don't care for the claws or the sky. If it was up to me, they would both go.
Actually I don't even care too much for all these silly sin gauntlets, which while cool in concept for the level, probably aren't going to work in any way in vanilla without being boring, frustrating or pointless.

Claws were a neat idea, but I think that they may have to go (Sorry CM!)

The ash platforms make the fight fairly difficult actually, as they are quite hard to navigate when stuff is shooting at you.

None of the sin ideas were set in stone anyway, so I'll try and come up with something different for them.

I was thinking about an alternative ending for map23, but before to upload the final version, maybe u guys can see it, and tell me what do u thinkg.
Note: I put the invisible wall i dont know if it works in vanilla, another reason to test it.
Here it this the alternative ending for map23.
http://www.speedyshare.com/6vrRN/map23.wad

Map30: What about a switch hunt where you push 4 switches and then reach the brains to defeat , before the room is gonna be overloaded with monsters.

Inspired by map30 of "community chest 1".

joe-ilya said:

Inspired by map30 of "community chest 1".

That must be hands down one of my favorite Icon of Sin maps. The Icon just looks too awesome. X-D

Joseph Lord said:

O.o Thats weird... Im gonna fix it. Thanks

Once happened to me aswell. I was like o_O, but quickly found out that they're damn close to the wall.

joe-ilya said:

Another feedback update

Plays pretty cool, but the architecture and texturing looks brutally random and creates an impression of it been thrown together in - size-wise - 3-4 hours.

joe-ilya said:

Thanks , was there anything to fix?

Well, to be quite honest, several things. May the others be more critical than actually I was.

I agree that the gameplay is fairly good.
Visually, although it's come long a way, it still needs improvements. I'm no longer worried about MAP20 actually, its just MAP24 now. If all else fails, you could get someone to work on the visuals for you.

-Looks around-

It's March isn't it...I'm supposed to be progress-checking, whoops!

Map20
Gameplay is pretty alright now. The looks are still a little iffy. I found something nasty at the end of the map which I rather want to be gone. Getting telefragged???? at the end of the level isn't cool when looking for secret number 6.

Oh yeah, and the switch for the red skull was pretty unobviously hidden.

With map 20 there are still a lot of dodgy texture alignments and some of the texture choices are a bit weird - I can see that you've gone for a quirky design with random angles and stuff, but when textures don't match up to the edges right then it just looks a bit sloppy. You have to think of the textures as actual things rather than just wallpaper, for example try not to use ceiling lights that get cut in half or have windows that cut half way through bricks.

These are just a few examples.

My major school stuff will be coming to a close in mid-March, so I will have more to show then.

The problem is this final act also is taking up my spring break, so I will be spending it in the fifth circle of hell...St. Louis.