Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

Isn't Glen like 12 years older... :P

I noticed it in my last screenshot as soon as I posted, it reminded me of the labyrinth centre screenshot I put in picture thread. Is symmetry a bad thing?

joe-ilya said:

There's still a lot of texture work that needs doing: either because you've made choices that look very strange (e.g. a cut off bookshelf as an upper texture), or because they aren't properly aligned (e.g. most of them).

You should probably also think about a few more lighting variations.

If I get a chance this week, I will try and edit one of the rooms in the level for comparison purposes.

Capellan said:

If I get a chance this week, I will try and edit one of the rooms in the level for comparison purposes.

Considering the above, that would be the best solution to imply on those general flaws.

Eris Falling said:

Expect MAP22 in March/April and MAP30 in July

What a stupid thing to say. I'm gonna seriously try and get some hardcore mapping done with the catacombs, and just get it out of the way. I don't really want it hanging over me much longer.

I'm going to also send out some PM's for those marked maps, 10 days left...

Wait what, we have an actual deadline now? Have I missed an announcement? In this case I'll have to suck it up and play through map29 some more times and verify that it has enough supplies on all routes. I can't even think about adding difficulties now, I'm so sick of the beginning part of this map (basically everything before the first fork in the path) that I had to replay SO MANY TIMES already after tweaking the pick-ups various areas. I don't know why I can't bring myself to play the map again, but it is the sole reason the map wasn't released like 5 months ago or whatever time passed since I sent Eris the alpha version. I know what I've got left is stupidly easy and quick to do, but it requires more repeated replaying the map and I just CAN'T do it. ._. Maybe I could trust someone else with fine balancing and adding difficulties, but I can't risk someone "fixing" some other aspect of the map that I think is fine, like a texture, or a general fight setup in some area.

Ah well I just made it. Little to no progress on a 99% finished map because playing it over and over again is worse by now than swimming in flaming manure... I imagine, not that I've done that.

Map20

Here's a really simple example of the issue with the map:

The idea of the blood font is a neat one. But the textures are off. The GSTONE on the angled walls isn't y-aligned with the walls on either side, and the wall isn't long enough for the GSFONT texture to appear twice, so parts of the gargoyles horns are missing. I'm not a fan of the SLIME ceiling texture there either.

Here's a fast tweak: I changed the slanted walls positions slightly so they were 24 long, and switched then to SUPPORT3, changed the ceiling texture, and then split the GSFONT line in three parts: the central bit being 64 long. Then I changed the left and right parts to GSTONE and used visual mode in DB2 to shift them until they looked like they tiled properly.

If I was being really pedantic about things, I'd have raised the ceiling a few units so it tied into the base of a brick, and moved the floor down a few units for the same reason.

Antroid said:

Ouch, the blood on the floor being like 4 pixels thick is very bad-looking.

I didn't really look at that, just at the texturing.

Capellan said:

Map20

If I was being really pedantic about things, I'd have raised the ceiling a few units so it tied into the base of a brick, and moved the floor down a few units for the same reason.

I'd do that anyway, it makes stuff look so much better when you align to the edges of bricks. Also I'd use floor7_2 for the ceiling so it doesn't have lines on it.

Capellan said:

I didn't really look at that, just at the texturing.

Texturing is another thing entirely, but I was always a firm believer in having things such as liquid puddles and carpets be at the same level as the floor. Those things just aren't meant to be thick, IMO.

Map14 - "The Inmost Dens" progress check.
Redesigned the outside area again and will settle for it.

Uh oh ! Wolfmap progress.

New start area and surrounding dungeon-y things:

Got a bit carried away with what was supposed to be a quick trip back to the start for the yellow key, so long story short, there are crates now. Luckily, you don't see them until much later in the map, which keeps the StC ratio low-ish.

Xaser said:

Uh oh ! Wolfmap progress.
Got a bit carried away with what was supposed to be a quick trip back to the start for the yellow key, so long story short, there are crates now. Luckily, you don't see them until much later in the map, which keeps the StC ratio low-ish.

Those shots look absolutely stunning Xaser! All vanilla compatible as well? I seriously don't know how you do it.

Thanks n' things. Haven't been too many "It's too grey!"s yet so I guess that's a good sign. :P

And yeah, it's all vanilla. There are a couple of spots that get close to the limits underground, but it's due to lighting gradients that can easily be mucked about with if anyone finds a spot or two where they go overboard. The arches are just midtextures, so no ZDoom slope cheating or anything.

Xaser said:

Pro-shots

These shots are just...damn...I take it you're making the SS into zombies then. They'd look shit otherwise here.

It'll be primarily demon-infested, yeah. Got something in mind for the SS, too, which I won't spoil just yet. :P

excellent shots Xaser and bruce :) look forward to both maps.
Current status
Map12 and 21 done unless anyone can suggest improvements to either.
Map15 - Good god I have developed a hatred for this map. Attempts to fix the problems in this map will probably result in nuking the map.

cannonball said:

nuking the map.

Yeahhh don't do that.
What are the problems aside from the lack of difficulties? It's been a while since I played through the mapset.

EDIT: It's times like these I wish Doom was scary. I just sat listening to the music for MAP22 staring down this tunnel. I'm thinking Spectres..

Eris Falling said:

It's times like these I wish Doom was scary.

The only time I could feel it was while playing IOGW's "screaming king" map.

Eris Falling said:

It's times like these I wish Doom was scary.

I thought this was pretty spooky myself. I dunno.

Obsidian said:

I thought this was pretty spooky myself. I dunno.

Heh I ran through one of the areas in that map and didn't notice the two barons to the sides. When I saw one of them just standing there I jumped quite a bit. The fact that it's gone midnight and I'm sat here by myself didn't help.

Maybe there is hope for the catacombs after all, though I imagine it could take a bit of thought.

Here's a new version of map01, with a better looking start area and a new secret.

EDIT: I was playing map04 (great map BTW), and when I used this wall, things went ape shit.