Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

All links updated. I like the MAP01 update :P

Gah...I didn't want to allow another download of MAP22 until it was finished, but I've run into a hideous bug problem in vanilla that I have no idea how to fix. In choco/vanilla, the pillars infront of where the player starts don't lower and the teleporter between said pillars doesn't work. If it does, Vanilla will bomb out.

HELP!

Eris Falling said:

Yeahhh don't do that.
What are the problems aside from the lack of difficulties? It's been a while since I played through the mapset.

Meh just perhaps some layout corrections. I also removed the killing the player if he screws the secret exit sequence up. Now the switches will close and lock forever if the push a wrong button.

Eris Falling said:

All links updated. I like the MAP01 update :P

Gah...I didn't want to allow another download of MAP22 until it was finished, but I've run into a hideous bug problem in vanilla that I have no idea how to fix. In choco/vanilla, the pillars infront of where the player starts don't lower and the teleporter between said pillars doesn't work. If it does, Vanilla will bomb out.

HELP!

Seems it crashes because the million linedef circle has no correctly tagged target sector.
The pillars don't lower because they are finding their lower floor in the sector they are joined with which are already similar in height.

_bruce_ said:

The pillars don't lower because they are finding their lower floor in the sector they are joined with which are already similar in height.

Fixed this one. Made it into an insta-lower floor and used dummy sectors.

I don't think the other one is right though. The million linedef circle (now 8 lines) have teleport tags of 55. Sector tag 55 does exist but I have a feeling it is something to do with the detail I added to that sector.

Here is the destination sector seen in the editor and in ZDoom.

Eris Falling said:

Fixed this one. Made it into an insta-lower floor and used dummy sectors.

I don't think the other one is right though. The million linedef circle (now 8 lines) have teleport tags of 55. Sector tag 55 does exist but I have a feeling it is something to do with the detail I added to that sector.

Here is the destination sector seen in the editor and in ZDoom.

Just 55-tag the sector where the teleport mobj resides in. The other cutlets of the sector are of no interest to the teleporting action so un-tag them.

_bruce_ said:

Just 55-tag the sector where the teleport mobj resides in. The other cutlets of the sector are of no interest to the teleporting action so un-tag them.

Thanks for your efforts but this wasn't the cause either. It was something to do with the midtextures rather than the sectors/lines themselves. Instead I've created a small structure which definitely isn't a tomb for an unpleasant creature.....

IMO, this looks better than the 3D grates anyway

cannonball said:

Meh just perhaps some layout corrections. I also removed the killing the player if he screws the secret exit sequence up. Now the switches will close and lock forever if the push a wrong button.

Erm, that doesn't seem like a good idea. If a player wants to reach the secret exit but screws the sequence, it'd be annoying for them to have to replay the entire level just to get another chance.

Processingcontrol said:

Erm, that doesn't seem like a good idea. If a player wants to reach the secret exit but screws the sequence, it'd be annoying for them to have to replay the entire level just to get another chance.

Killing the player was much worse :P. The final secret which holds the red key shows the correct switch sequence to access the secret exit inside the building requiring the red key.

Still, what if the player doesn't know about the correct code, and reasonably thinks that hitting arbitrary switches will help them get to the secret exit?

Maybe you can add another switch somewhere that reopens the closed switches. But make it so the player has to go over some damaging lava to get to it, so that there's punishment for pressing the switches in the wrong order.

Antroid said:

Agreed, I personally always hated those types of grates made out of step textures.

Given also that STEP4 does make some weird kind of visual distortion (Medusa I suppose), due to being used as a midtex whilst consisting of more than one patch.

joe-ilya said:

MAP05:It's possible to go through the net without "idclip"ing.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=10wjuqe&s=6

This, along with many other little things, have been fixed in what should be my final update for map 05:

Waste Tunnels - final update

I'm free for the next couple weeks before I start a new job, so I'm looking to also finish up on map 17 and maybe even get started on a third map if somebody else is unable to finish theirs or whatever. Gonna start going through everybody else's maps to maybe give some feedback. Hopefully we should be on the way home at this point. :D

I think there was a secret door just after the yellow door which couldn't be opened. You might've fixed this or maybe I just couldn't find the trigger. Just pointing it out now, even if I am several months late in doing so :P

OP links updated.

Eris Falling said:

I think there was a secret door just after the yellow door which couldn't be opened. You might've fixed this or maybe I just couldn't find the trigger. Just pointing it out now, even if I am several months late in doing so :P

The only secret close to the yellow key door is the supercharge secret which is accessed by passing through a slime texture earlier on, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. If you're talking about the secret that's by the yellow key itself then that's a brand new one. \o_O/ Could you elaborate? I can grab 100% secrets on it easily enough.

Anyway, I've played through a couple maps and here's my dumb feedback:

Map 01: The secret with the health potions seems a bit hard to figure out for my liking. You lower one lift in one part of the map and then run to a different part of the map to flip a timed switch? And the only way you find the switch in the first place is to lower a lift from the height where you're not planning to use it? Speaking as someone who isn't omniscient and all-knowing, I'm not a fan of it. Otherwise, it's a great map. I especially love the dummy sector ambush - I've recently been fiddling about with dummy sectors myself and didn't think of applying them in such a way.

Map 20: I'm sorry, but I think this map is just too far gone for saving and should be scrapped. Even if it was prettied up its layout and ideas just aren't up to the standard that a community project should have.

"Hey, this map's name is 'Gotcha!'. What kind of mapping should reflect that name? Oh, I know... TRAPS. Totally exclusive concept, right? :| "

Map 21: I assume the limited ammo thing is done on purpose but there's an ammo limitation and then there's AN AMMO LIMITATION. Like, really, you can't give me a box of shells somewhere that isn't the exit room? Which is a place I apparently can't get out of to backtrack and get 100% kills on? Dude, I shouldn't have to tyson 95% of a map just to finish it on an UVMax run. Come on.

an_mutt said:

The only secret close to the yellow key door is the supercharge secret which is accessed by passing through a slime texture earlier on, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. If you're talking about the secret that's by the yellow key itself then that's a brand new one. \o_O/ Could you elaborate? I can grab 100% secrets on it easily enough.

Yeah sorry it's not a secret, though it could be regarded as one. You press a computer panel between yellow door and the area with the baron/knights and the nearby alcove opens to reveal a rad suit (sector 207. Switch tag 8)

Regarding your feedback on the other maps
=========================================

MAP21 could probably use some extra ammo, make it a bit like optional Tyson. Pretty sure E2M2 is renowned for it's option of berserk and fist.

MAP20...ehhhh..Visually it's - shall we say - inadequate. However, maybe I'm just being slightly dumb right now, but I can't think of any other way of interpreting Gotcha! I'd wait until the tune-up of the map until deciding on its fate.

Played through the waste tunnels....

...consistent style with a hair of Doom
...some parts look great
...secrets can be "felt"
...nice surprise
...fierce fights
...maybe cut back on the ammo on the higher skill settings?
...shape of the exit pit reminded me of a toilet pan - on purpose?

Personally totally not my style since it reminds me of Final Doom but in the way of being re-imagined Waste Tunnels it fits the scheme very well - props!

Eris Falling said:
MAP20...ehhhh..Visually it's - shall we say - inadequate. However, maybe I'm just being slightly dumb right now, but I can't think of any other way of interpreting Gotcha! I'd wait until the tune-up of the map until deciding on its fate.

As far as Joe-Ilya's current level ... apparently it plays pretty well, so it seems like if it could be cleaned up visually, it should work OK.

Other possible Gotcha! interpretations:

* power-ups and major weapons in plain sight but unreachable without finding a secret or following some complex route to reach them

* a level with lots of sniping opportunities

* a level with secrets that don't actually give extra weapons and ammo, but allow you to 'get the drop' on the enemy (go down the obvious route, get bushwhacked ... find the secret, and do the bushwhacking yourself)

An early alpha(rev.74) of Map14 - "The Inmost Dens".
This one pushed me to the limit in terms of "do I really like it... is it sound...".
Since having completed cycle 0 of the full map creation process I have to admit that it has started growing on me in a positive sense.
May be very unbalanced right now but I strongly prefer fresh input over running in circles in my own map.
Basic secrets, multiplayer and very basic skill settings implemented.

Current Slot: 01

Automap

Screens

Link
http://speedy.sh/UEstV/tid74.rar

Hi, I am working on my map, the Crusher, and am pretty excited about my progress. I'll post some screenies soon. I was hoping to make this quite different to the original Crusher map.

Here is a midi track I edited in Anvil Studio 2012 on a friend's computer. This is one of my shortlist candidates for the song for this map.

Please let me know if the edited instruments don't work together.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ieq6j73ee1sfm66

_bruce_: Love those curved walls. Looking really good.

"The Crusher" is not far from the alpha upload. I need to finish the actual crusher and work out how the start area fits into the map without ruining the gameplay flow.

I just tested it in Chocolate Doom (the first time I ever used that source port) and it's working almost perfectly - the problem being stacks of "crattiny" textures creating some weird graphical glitch which does not occur in any other source port.

Is there any way to customise the controls in Chocolate Doom? I'm finding the standard key layout unplayable.

MajorRawne said:

Is there any way to customise the controls in Chocolate Doom? I'm finding the standard key layout unplayable.

I don't have Choco, but I have chocorenderlimits which is just a modified version. If there's a chocolate-setup.exe in your folder, you can change the controls there.

Thanks, I'll check that out, to be honest I can't stand playing Doom 2 in its native format due to the resolution being the worst I've ever seen in a game.

Here's the first screenie of the alpha version. As you can see, I struggle with curving corridors, particularly curving stairways. The final map will have one big edit so that it doesn't give the impression of bog-standard squareness. The detached rooms at the top are the start area and will be connected to the rest of the map when I've work out how I want to do it.

EDIT:

Sod it, here are some alpha shots.

Looks very small to me, although I might think differently when you connect it all up. Try and make it mid-sized if you can =)

I don't mind if a map is short to be honest, if it takes 3,4 minutes to max it's fine. Not all maps are going to be like map19 :P

Mine will probably be short and sweet. But Im trying some experimental tricks.

cannonball said:

I don't mind if a map is short to be honest, if it takes 3,4 minutes to max it's fine. Not all maps are going to be like map19 :P

I said mid sized map >_< How do you define one of those? I wouldn't say MAP19 is anyway near to being a mid-sized map.

I think starting off the megawad with small maps isn't necessarily bad thing actually. There are plenty of large levels from MAP11 onwards.