Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

Eris Falling said:

They seem to be fine in PrBoom+, Chocolate Doom, and ZDoom. Except for one error. Opening MAP31 in the editor (GZDB) produces some weird results.
Every brick texture is either a waterfall or a mudfall, and yet this doesn't appear in-game, in any port. I have no clue what's causing it.

I don't know if anything has changed regarding textures since the wad in the first post, but in that wad there is both a TEXTURE1 and TEXTURE2 entry, and TEXTURE2 contains texture names already in TEXTURE1:

WFALL1 - WFALL4: Castle brick textures
DBRAIN1 - DBRAIN4: 128px tiled versions of normal DBRAIN textures
BLODGR1 - BLODGR3: Nazi flags
BLODGR4: A castle brick texture

I might consider this a bug in your wad - I don't know if there's a proper defined behaviour for multiple texture definitions or not. But if it looks like all the ports handle it correctly, then it's probably fine and DB just isn't handling it correctly.

If you want to fix it, it's probably just a matter of deleting TEXTURE2 and resizing the DBRAIN textures in TEXTURE1. I can help you with this if you want. Or you could just leave it if it's working properly everywhere but the editor.

(hmm, this could be a good way to obscure super secret things in a level editor ;p )

It might have been me that did that texture2 lump instead of using texture1 since even though people usually use that, the idea of including a copy of the lump defining all the textures in the game again never sit well with me. I tested it in all sorts of ports back then, although perhaps not with total vanilla (dosbox or whatever), or doom95.

Antroid said:

It might have been me that did that texture2 lump instead of using texture1 since even though people usually use that, the idea of including a copy of the lump defining all the textures in the game again never sit well with me. I tested it in all sorts of ports back then, although perhaps not with total vanilla (dosbox or whatever), or doom95.

A while back, I think I did report that it makes problems in PrBoom(-plus) and Edge.

EDIT: here

I don't remember that, weird. But what's even more weird is that something that works in choco would break in more advanced ports. Alright, Eris, you better redo the textures then. Sorry for the inconvenience :<

Lavafall patches renamed to LFALLx
Merged both sets of custom textures
Deleted TEXTURE2
Modified DBRAINx to use new patches

Result:
Wolf texture display properly in editor
Lavafalls display properly in PrBoom+ and so presumably EDGE too.

I'm just waiting on a response from an_mutt regarding MAP08, then this is good to go.

First off, thanks to everyone who gave feedback on Vengeance (D_READ_M), I didn't expect to be that postive haha

Anyway. (HURR, WOOPS! HANG ON!)
Re-uploaded, compressed and with other useful stuff

What's changed since the Alpha in July?

• New MAP07
  • Huge revamp to MAP08 and 16
  • MAP22's cathedral is now not shit, in both gameplay (I hope) and visuals.
  • New start area for MAP06
  • Bug fixes (of course)
  • Plenty of other things.
Now go forth!

Map 07 bug or me? After clearing out mancs, arachnotrons and spidermind, nothing happened and I was stuck in the beginning area. Playing on HMP, had to noclip to the next area.

glenzinho said:

Map 07 bug or me? After clearing out mancs, arachnotrons and spidermind, nothing happened and I was stuck in the beginning area. Playing on HMP, had to noclip to the next area.

I got stuck on map07 too, after killing a million Mancs and Arachs in the opening area where you return at the very end of the map (371/373 dead on UV) the "stairs" that have let you out of the area before just raise and that's that. Quite annoying after a 30-min no-deaths FDA. Cool map tho, pretty interesting stuff and reminded me of ToD's and Ribbiks' maps a bit.

Cool, i like what you've done with map 22. Kind of glad you didn't add a lot more dungeon crawling, its just the right length at the moment and what with the hub within a hub structure i think players might start forgetting what they were meant to be doing.

Just tried map 07 and seems to work ok for me in zdoom. There is some barrels and vile resurrection trickery that gets a double use from the 667 tag so might be that going wrong for whatever reason.

Well, THIS seems to have gone under the radar instantly. C'mon people! Eris, maybe we need a separate thread, or at least a flashier thread name? With some exclamation points?

Totally gonna download and play it now. Was thinking of doing a LP but eh, hipp0cat's gonna do it at some point. I'll probably just guest in his.

Okay I must be having a real bad doom day today, MAP01 just royally fucked me up the ass repeatedly. Alright, nevermind, I'm gonna play this tomorrow instead :D

Also: shouldn't the DEH file have the same name as the WAD file?

Edit: HEY ERIS! This has an old version of map24 where the red key is unattainable! GJ :)

Well, if you insist...

Don't really have time or inspiration for lengthy reviews so I'll just dump my shit here: FDAs for maps 01-10. First three/four/five were played with the first beta version and the rest with the newest one. Hopefully the former ones don't desync, I haven't tested.

Nice maps the whole bunch so far, can't say I would have disliked any of them. The most memorable ones were the weird map06 and Triangle: The Map, I mean, map07.

yeah i'm looking forward to finally playing through this as a player rather than a play-tester. Its a very varied collection of maps and its interesting to see how the theme has pushed people creatively. There are some great maps and some bastard maps, and some great bastard maps, but no bad maps that I can think of.

It's really interesting to play through a wad I've contributed to but mostly avoided seeing, like I don't even have this image of what is the D2INO level collection yet, or it's more prominent levels from the usually more memorable slots, etc, to associate my levels with... so strange.

Repeating it so a certain bad dude notices: map24 is not the latest version in there and is broken. Maybe check other maps about this too?

Antroid said:

It's really interesting to play through a wad I've contributed to but mostly avoided seeing

heh, that means you can't complain about any of the maps

Shit!
I did wonder if that was the case but as far as I could recall, I had the latest version of each map since mouldy's post.

I have a D2INO-24(3).wad dated 02/12/2013, I'll check the thread for later versions.
EDIT: Is it by any chance the same version of MAP24 that appeared in the July alpha? Since the compilation was done entirely by mouse (broken keyboard) I may have forgotten the map.

EDIT: Is that a better thread title Antroid? ;)

Awesome title :) No it's not the alpha's version, it's the first version that I claimed to be complete that I released. The door to the red key shanty town was passable in alpha, and should be passable in the final version. A good way to be sure would be to check for the cyberdemon platform AND that door's passability: if both are present, it should be the right version. Or you could just get this - it should be the one I posted last (I checked that it's not broken).

Bad flaw on MAP11: Player can get stuck on green armor secret (where lost souls come in.) Player can get in... but can't get out.

CorSair said:

Bad flaw on MAP11: Player can get stuck on green armor secret (where lost souls come in.) Player can get in... but can't get out.

The door linedef isn't tagged. Very quick fix if eris is in the mood: linedef 4088 needs tag 52. Either you are the first person to find that secret or everyone else only played it in zdoom

Fixed, thanks mouldy
I need to get back to my ITYTD (because I suck) Choco-run, I died in MAP08, warped to the next level but it crashed. Haven't gone through again since I fixed the mudfalls

Eris, are you reuploading after every fix or will you wait for accumulated fixes and do a, like, gamma version release?

Oh fucking hell with my luck today. I bet cannonball is gonna find Map 12 demo either amusing, or probably quits halfway. I think I lost my count of deaths in that map...

Re-uploading, it saves the same bug being reported twice. I replace the old file with the fixed file, so after every fix, you'd re-download from the OP. Same link, different file.