Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

*headdesk*
This is a MAPINFO problem, so it only affects (G)ZDoom. What makes this particularly embarrassing is that I'm a ZDoom user.
MAP34 is set to use D_MAP34 as music (don't ask), but I never changed it to D_DM2TTL, like it should be.
So do I fix this now and upload it to incoming again?

Eris Falling said:

*headdesk*
This is a MAPINFO problem, so it only affects (G)ZDoom. What makes this particularly embarrassing is that I'm a ZDoom user.
MAP34 is set to use D_MAP34 as music (don't ask), but I never changed it to D_DM2TTL, like it should be.
So do I fix this now and upload it to incoming again?

Probably, I think Ty won't really get pissed, but hey, I don't know the guy. Just leave a note as stated in the rules.

Looks like I missed something in the textfile anyway which means this will get rejected, so I'm actually required to re-upload.

You can upload the fixed version under a different name like D2INOfix.zip and D2INOfix.txt, and upload a D2INOfix.msg file with instructions like "please delete d2ino.zip and d2ino.txt, rename d2inofix.zip to d2ino.zip and d2inofix.txt to d2ino.txt". I've done this a few times.

Thanks, hopefully that should be the end of it now.
Provided Ty doesn't kill me for apparently connecting to the server about a million times, and also accidentally putting a file in the very first directory rather than incoming. I always seem to have trouble with even the simplest tasks.

Ha Ha, love how the entry way is actually just a door way(well by the look of the preview pictures at least.)

hipp0cat (whom some of you may remember from my LP of DTS-T or earlier ones) has finally started his playthrough of D2INO, here's the playlist. I've joined him for maps 04-07, and will join again when he does 24 and 29 (which may very well end up in different recordings), but otherwise he's just doing solo commentary. Not gonna put this in my thread since it's not my LP, but check it out anyway if you're interested.

-rw-rw-r-- 2 thldrmn idgames 6669812 Jun 14 08:00 ./newstuff/d2ino.zip
Look at the 'accepted' list.

EDIT:Will this thread reach to the 100th page?

Been meaning to ask, but how long until Doom 1 in name only?
(Or will it be ultimate doom?)
Kinda itchin' to do a map or two for it. I was thinking maybe cooperate with someone on Dis - I could make the portion of the level before the fight (so it's not just an arena but a real level), and the someone could make a good Spiderdemon setup, since I'm garbage with those. And of course I wanna make a techbase and/or hellish techbase as well... Oh man!

Oh boy, after you said you wanted Limbo, Dis was one of the ones I contemplated doing for a second map instead (I also want to do Nuclear Plant).

Regarding a start date, the original plan was a week or two after D2INO was released, but I haven't seen Jay post anywhere for ages, so I'll see if I can contact him at some point.
I hope he still wants to do it, he had a very clear vision of what UDINO should be.

As far as I know, Jayextee is nowadays active at Deviantart and maybe his webcomic site. On the other hand, he doesn't read his Doomworld PMs (I've tried to contact him because of Switcheroom 2 - EDIT - which was about a week ago).

Antroid said:

Been meaning to ask, but how long until Doom 1 in name only?
(Or will it be ultimate doom?)
Kinda itchin' to do a map or two for it. I was thinking maybe cooperate with someone on Dis - I could make the portion of the level before the fight (so it's not just an arena but a real level), and the someone could make a good Spiderdemon setup, since I'm garbage with those. And of course I wanna make a techbase and/or hellish techbase as well... Oh man!

The City of Dis. I dont think anyone has made this yet actually.

Eris Falling said:

Oh boy, after you said you wanted Limbo, Dis was one of the ones I contemplated doing for a second map instead (I also want to do Nuclear Plant).

I wanted to do limbo but I thought that you were still doing that since you wanted it before I wanted it :P I think if I get to co-make Dis, you should take limbo. Only make sure to make it sprawling, oppressive and sinister as hell.

Ragnor said:

The City of Dis. I dont think anyone has made this yet actually.

Exactly.

Who would like to try and be project leader if Jay turns out unavaliable?

I certainly wouldn't XD
Since ella seems to be sticking around a bit, maybe she could do it. She started this whole thing in the first place.

And as for Limbo, I did have a rough idea, and it was similar to my red-blue split in the Catacombs.
On one side you'd have heaven, on the other you'd have hell, and then you start in the middle, and it all sort of weaves in and out blah blah.

edit: Btw, really enjoying hipp0cat's playthrough, which is odd since I don't normally bother watching let's plays.

Eris Falling said:

I certainly wouldn't XD
Since ella seems to be sticking around a bit, maybe she could do it. She started this whole thing in the first place.

ella seems like a natural choice but obviously it comes down to whether she would want to do it and keep doing it until the end.

I could do it, I'm certainly not going to disappear anywhere, I could be very persistent with spamming people with PMs and whatnot, as well as pretty strict in terms of quality control, but there's bound to be some hidden traps to the position, like just how strict to be about quality, how to balance personal preferences with actual quality of the maps, whether to allow claiming map slots, and other such things, and I'm slightly wary of it all turning out to be a disaster if I was to do it. Plus it could scare away several potential contributors, one of whom would not even be able to read the project thread for several reasons :P

Eris Falling said:

And as for Limbo, I did have a rough idea, and it was similar to my red-blue split in the Catacombs.
On one side you'd have heaven, on the other you'd have hell, and then you start in the middle, and it all sort of weaves in and out blah blah.

I know what to do with Perfect Hatred, already for about a year. :P

scifista42 said:

I know what to do with Perfect Hatred, already for about a year. :P

Man, even despite taking the Focus and especially Living End, I don't wanna touch any of the episode four slots with a 666-foot pole. Screw that nonsense. I never liked ep4 much anyway.

ME! :P

Anyways... I think I try something on E4M9. Fear is really diverse subject, dontcha think?

The thread really should be started as soon as possible, so we can keep track of who claims what. Or maybe Eris could add these as notes somewhere to the bottom of the first post for now?
Official claiming hasn't obviously happened yet, but multiple people have expressed desire to do particular maps when the time comes and it's quite easy to forget.

Speaking of which, I suddenly realized my desire to try Tower of Babel in addition to the part of Dis.
Then maybe I'll take some mundane techbase map if one gets left in episode one...

Well I'm definitely waiting on the start of the thread before I express any interest in particular map-slits. But given my habit of occasionally dumping the player in deep crap the I guess Pandemonium would be up my alley and have an idea for that.

Damn, Fear sounded like my kind of map. And ToB. Though I'm supposed to be doing two already and that's just greedy. UD certainly had more interesting titles than D2.

and yeah I'll just keep a note of them somewhere and then notify the new project leader when the thread starts. I just e-mailed Jay asking his intentions on the project. It would be rude to just give it to someone else without telling him.

Eris Falling said:

Damn, Fear sounded like my kind of map. And ToB. Though I'm supposed to be doing two already and that's just greedy.

I'm thinking about my idea for ToB and it's very possible that I won't be able to make it work in any adequate way at all, so if anyone else wants to do ToB don't mind me. I'll try it first thing when the project starts and I'll be able to quickly tell if it works out or not.

Or maybe we should just do away with map claiming? Although it encourages people to try the less interesting/popular slots, too... Man, this needs some thinking over. Maybe allow two people to "claim" the same map, but not more than two?

I guess I'd like to do Hangar when the time comes for the sake of tradition.

Antroid said:

ella seems like a natural choice but obviously it comes down to whether she would want to do it and keep doing it until the end.

yeah...i don't think that would be a good idea given what happened last time =P. i am trying to get more into Doom mapping, though, so i might try and make a map for the project if it happens. making an E3-styled map might be cool. i might even want to start a project in the future, but i don't trust myself to do that at this point.

the one thing i'd say about a lot of the Doom 1 titles is they're usually kinda vague - which would make the concept not as strong because the titles don't necessarily describe one thing in particular (this is esp true for most of E1 and E2). just a thing to keep in mind.

Christ you guys!
Ok, I've put you all in a text file. I put Werecat and scifista down for 2-6 and 4-2 respectively, I assume you two wanted to do those slots?

I think it's just best that we calm down with claiming and whatnot until Jay gives answer. If he declines, either someone should step up or we'll vouch people fitting for being despot project leader.

Antroid said:

Or maybe we should just do away with map claiming? Although it encourages people to try the less interesting/popular slots, too... Man, this needs some thinking over. Maybe allow two people to "claim" the same map, but not more than two?

Claiming the map is in my opinion best way to get the most from the map when people knows what they are going to do.

As for two people to get to claim... I dunno. This might ensue some forum drama, less or more, and trying to choose which is better can be grueling work. On plus side, more maps for people to try out, when the other one is scrapped.
But definitely worth to think about.