Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dubh

Quakecon 2001 footage. (Something I noticed)

Hi Guys, new to the forum, I was just looking at the Quakecon2001
gamestar.de footage and I noticed something that I didn't see before. Maybe you all did but I'll mention it anyway.

Just at the end of the footage, the beast is walking around the fiery environment surrounded by waist high railings (the type of ones you'd see at a concert). But just as it leaps off it seems to kick over these railings to clear space for the jump! I'm nearly sure of this.
Suggests limited geomod?
As I said, maybe you are all aware of this, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Hey Flathead,
I'm delighted you see it too! I looked at it again and again and I wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming. This may change alot of things.
Think of the possibilities......

Well it's most likely a scripted thing that has nothing to do with the actual physics code, but DAMN it's nice to see id finally putting these subtle details into a game.

Yeah Flathead,
Your probably right about the scripting, the scene looks scripted , but, who knows? Carmack seems to be going on about the lighting model being close to what he has always wanted, treating everything in the world as one etc. No more "hacks and tricks". If this scene is implemented via scripting, isn't that just another hack? I mean we can all make the most wonderful things happen through scripting, things that aren't possible when the renderer kicks back in, will this rail be lying on the ground, obviously yes, but I just wish we had some more info on the physics of the engine. And, in the macworld scene, Carmack states that everything going on is actually happening in real-time, I wish I could hear what he was saying at quakecon, but all I hear is that German gamestar fellow. Anyway, as it has always been, the old "wait and see" syndrome.
But at the end of the day, yes, it is damn nice to see them working on detail to this level.

Dubh

I might be completely mistaken but I'm dead certain I've seen this mentioned in these forums before.
Never mind, some old topics are ok to bring back up again imho.

I actually never dreamed of id putting details like that into the game until about a little less than a year ago. It's cool, I hope we'll see lots of such details in the game.
It'd definitely be awesome imo if it's something the monsters always do.
Man, I can't wait to try fighting these critters :-P´ <--*drool*

IMHO the day I saw the macworld demo I nearly crapped myself, honestly. It definitely doesn't feel like over a year has passed.
I mean, when Q3A shipped, they were working on this thing for gods sake. That makes it 2 years at least, doesn't it? Correct me if i'm wrong.

It might seem like I'm reading into things a little too much but
the Tod Hollenshed interview with ferrago a little while ago which I'm sure you all read;

"Todd: We'll have more information available about what we're doing before too long, but we don't want to over-expose the game. I know everyone is eagerly awaiting details, but we ask that they continue to be patient. "

full story: http://www.ferrago.co.uk/story.asp?id=149

What interests me is the "before too long" bit. For over a year now all we have been given the "long time from now" bit.
I dont know. I just can't wait to return home from that games store with my new pc on the desk, bass from woofer humming, drooling for that dolby 5.1 , rippin' that sweet plastic off the box and having my first glimpse of what I feel will indefinitely, from that day forward, control my free time. I dont know, but when I look at the models in the game, they seem to be so much more real or 'solid'.
I can almost feel the shotgun pellets rippin flesh.

Its strange the way it seems like yesterday, I was sitting late at night playing doom for the first time with Led-Zeppelin "Song Remains the Same" blaring in the background cos I had no soundcard at the time.... Anyway I'm rambling.... Better go, nice to be in the forum lads. And I hope it remains up when the game comes out so we can share the experience. Keep up the good work Flathead, Zaldron.

Dubh

Yeah we've had a post about that interview before and the prospect of new Doom info "soon" is exciting. And by the way, welcome to these forums. You've made a good start for yourself, now try to keep it up =)

What interests me is the "before too long" bit. For over a year now all we have been given the "long time from now" bit.
Dubh

We're all eager, but I'll wait for another two years if it is the best game FPS I've ever played =)

Yeah, I noticed the railing being bent too. I don't think it's scripted... actually, the motion of jumping up on the railing probably was but the bending of the railing I think can be totally done with the physics engine.

I Dunno crix, the motion of the beast is probably most definitely not scripted, as you can see in the macworld footage, a different character is jumping around in a similar fashion, Carmack stated that they are working on skeletal animation for the monsters and he is pleased of that because he apparantly doesn't like working with skeletal animation for humans. There has been alot of work put in for the monsters' movements. And that brings us to the conclusion that if the railing being bent isn't scripted and the monsters movement probably isn't then the scene can be taken at face value: this is what to expect for in-game play. Amazing stuff. Actually, you're right crix, now that I keep looking at the footage I think that the movement of the rail looks like it has been acted on by force. Either its physically one of the most accurately scripted scenes (which is highly unlikely due to the fact the footage wasn't released, and I can't imagine id sitting up all night writing a nice scripted scene for something that only a handful of people will barely see), or it is part of the physics engine!! Christ lads, this is great...

Dubh

Hmm, I'm wondering, if Carmack doesn't like making skeletal human animation, how come the game will have NPCs?
NPCs = humans.
Wouldn't skeletal animation be required for them?

I can't believe you did not see that, Flathead. In fact, I talked about it with someone...sure it wasn't you?

Originally posted by dsm
Hmm, I'm wondering, if Carmack doesn't like making skeletal human animation, how come the game will have NPCs?
NPCs = humans.
Wouldn't skeletal animation be required for them?

Uuh Carmack has nothing to do with the skeletal animation. The system is coded by Jim Dosé and it works for any kind of creatures, humans or not. What Carmack said is that they won't explore human-like AI in this case.

IMO, this means the only Humans we'll see (if any) are designed for specific scripts. From certain dialogue with a almost-dead person up to an entire platoon getting butchered. No teamplay with any CPU-controlled allies.

I watched that clip a couple more times. I really hope that the animal's behavior is AI and not script. The way it stalls before it jumps is so cool. Those slow little steps it takes right before gettting up on the railing are just too cool that I'm not sure it could be done with AI.

Does the monster's movement seem familiar to anyone? I just realized that the way it jumps is almost exactly like the "bear that someone brought to the party" from Ghostbusters. Those demon-dogs that come out of the statues on the room. Heh : )

God I can't wait for this game! It's going to be so bad for me socially.

What Carmack said is that they won't explore human-like AI in this case.

That's what I remember having heard too - nothing about human skeletal animation as Dubh said.

IMO, this means the only Humans we'll see (if any) are designed for specific scripts. From certain dialogue with a almost-dead person up to an entire platoon getting butchered. No teamplay with any CPU-controlled allies.

Yeah, that's the way it should be imo - it'd be cool to see a squad of marines storm into a dark hallway, either trying to flee, or simply charging some demons waiting in the darkness, all while you're looking into an area you can't reach yet, and later on, you'd find their mutilated corpses on the floor.

Does the monster's movement seem familiar to anyone? I just realized that the way it jumps is almost exactly like the "bear that someone brought to the party" from Ghostbusters. Those demon-dogs that come out of the statues on the room. Heh : )

Heh, my thoughts too more or less.
I'm sure the new pinky is inspired by those.