Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mouldy

The Eye [now on idgames]

jointritual said:

Minor but there's a misalignment in the opening room, incase you haven't noticed!

oh yeah, that's annoying. God knows how I missed that, goes to show how I never look backwards. Is there a procedure for updating stuff in the idgames archive?

Cool, cheers. I can live with a few mistakes but that one was like a stone in my shoe

This was pretty fun. I got stuck at the end but as it turns out if you have Doom (strict) compatability set in ZDoom it works fine up until you start lowering the slivers of the pillar at which point Boom and Doom (strict) wildly diverge.

kmxexii said:

This was pretty fun. I got stuck at the end but as it turns out if you have Doom (strict) compatability set in ZDoom it works fine up until you start lowering the slivers of the pillar at which point Boom and Doom (strict) wildly diverge.

How perculiar. I just tried it in doom (strict) and the pillars at the end seem to work normally, but the door to the library doesn't open from one side, unless you already opened it from the other side. I'm guessing that might be to do with the door sector not being tagged?

Out of interest, when building a map in doom builder which game configuration is the best choice for maximum compatibility? I always go for boom, but is there a better one that people prefer?

Boom is generally a good choice, since it's supported in a wide variety of ports. There's really not anything you can do config-wise to prevent "ZDoomisms", as they're called, since they're engine-side differences (generally side-effects of how it treats maps internally) with nothing to do with configuration choice.

As a bit of trivia on the topic, there's only three different actual map formats (Doom, Hexen, and UDMF), with the only other differences between games/configs being what sets of things, line flags, and line/sector specials are valid. The Boom configuration is nothing more than an extension of the Doom config with some extra flags/things/specials defined, so you can still create a vanilla Doom-compatible map using the Boom config so long as you don't use any of the extra stuff the original game doesn't support. ;)

cool, cheers for the info. I'm still very new to all this but its all starting to make sense now

To clarify after some experimenting: compatibility doesn't matter. If you use the switches in the order they're revealed, the pillar works correctly. If you're a wiseass like me, you might end up hitting the second switch before the first, which will muck everything up, but this is clearly a case of "don't do that, moron!".

haha! I didn't even realise that would be possible, is that using archvile jumping?

mouldy said:

haha! I didn't even realise that would be possible, is that using archvile jumping?

Nope. I don't even know why I did it the way I did it. I think I just wanted to see what would happen and then forgot amid all the ambushes that my idiocy had broken the intended progression.