Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jute

Quake 1 Reboot?

From Quaddicted:

Two images by cyl1981:

First a creature that looks like a Fiend:
http://cyl1981.deviantart.com/art/Creature-design-20120303-288310642

The caption is: "One of the concepts from a project that I was assigned to, which might be announced next year, or maybe later. It a reboot/ redesign on a previous product line, this is one of the concepts I did for it, hopefully this will make it into the final product, or maybe not."

Second a collage of sketches of a Shambler-like monster and another Fiend:
http://cyl1981.deviantart.com/art/sketch-20120302-288265433

And yesterday Front Line Assembly and Sonic Mayhem announced they will be collaborating on something. Both worked on music for Quake 3. Sonic Mayhem also did the Quake 2 soundtrack and the Quake 1 fan music addon Methods of Destruction.

What do you think?

Too many uncanny coincidences for none of this to have anything to do with a new Quake game.

If/when id Software works on a new Quake game, Carmack said it's going to be back in its roots. So there's a possibility there's a reboot or even a "true" sequel to the original Quake.

PRIMEVAL said:

So there's a possibility there's a reboot or even a "true" sequel to the original Quake.

I've said for many years that I'd love to see something that bridges the gap between the Quake and Quake 2 worlds. But I'd settle for a sequel to the original game.

Yeah, if they try to make a Quake 1.5 work, I think it would be interesting to see how the eldritch horrors of Q1 relate to the struggle with the Strogg later on. Someone else suggested the Strogg worshiped the Old Ones, which I think I can accept if done right.

I don't care for the Strogg stuff at all. I love the Q1 eldritch atmosphere, which is still unlike any other game I've played. Morrowind's daedric ruins come closer than anything else but they still lack that special something.

Nomad said:

Yeah, if they try to make a Quake 1.5 work, I think it would be interesting to see how the eldritch horrors of Q1 relate to the struggle with the Strogg later on. Someone else suggested the Strogg worshiped the Old Ones, which I think I can accept if done right.

I'd prefer it if they kept the two universes separate.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Don't fuck this up, id.

Considering Quake 1 is the only entry they have yet to bastardize tap, I'm sure they'll treat it with care.

*By care I mean recreate it with modern controls and linear, cinematic gamne-play along the lines of Quake 4.

Technician said:

I mean recreate it with modern controls and linear, cinematic gamne-play along the lines of Quake 4.

Probably, or at least as long as Tim Willits has anything to do with it.

In a perfect world this remake/reboot/whatever will be just as worthless as doom 3 and rage and finally id can go belly up and we can stop hearing about their remakes/reboots/whatevers.

We don't live in a perfect world though...

Quast said:

In a perfect world this remake/reboot/whatever will be just as worthless as doom 3 and rage and finally id can go belly up and we can stop hearing about their remakes/reboots/whatevers.

We don't live in a perfect world though...

Even if Zenimax closes the studio, since all id is worth is their preexisting catalog, I doubt we'll see Doom and Quake respectively put to rest for some time to come, even if it's not id making them.

I wouldn't mind some story that bridges the Shub-Niggergod and Strogg stories, though I wouldn't mind if they didn't.

I'd love to see a new game though with perhaps the Quake 1 design and feel.

I hope it's good, and not like, bad or anything.

Coopersville said:

I want to believe

Same. Really, as long as they release it with decent modding tools, then I know I can at least count on the community to 'fix' what I don't find fully satisfactory.

Clonehunter said:

Shub-Niggergod

Umm...

Anyway, a connection between Quake 1 and Quake 2 is unlikely. If you'll remember, id only titled it "Quake 2" because the title they wanted to go with had already been taken. Also, there's really no plausible connection between the storylines of the games---Quake is completely occultic and supernatural, Quake 2 is completely sci-fi. It'd be like trying to draw a storyline connection between, I dunno, Doom and Dead Space. Not the best example, but the point is that one has essential supernatural elements in the storyline, and the other has none at all.

That being said, I love the original Quake, and would be looking forward to a re-boot with great anticipation.

That was probably a typo...I hope!

This is so awesome, I've been waiting for a direct sequel to the first Quake for a long time now. Quake 2 was fun and all that, but I wasted so many of my childhood years on Quake. That and the TMBot, or the CujoBot, man!

This door opens elsewhere...

Caffeine Freak said:

Also, there's really no plausible connection between the storylines of the games---Quake is completely occultic and supernatural, Quake 2 is completely sci-fi.

So long as we're dealing with two types of pure fantasy then anything is plausible. If people's suspension of disbelief is willing to go along with anything in Quake or Quake 2, then I don't see what's at risk if these two universes collided - possibly except for upsetting the most hardcore of fanboys and girls, if there's even anyone out there who feels that deeply about Quake lore.

To each their own. I just think it would make for an interesting premise, and if left in the right hands could potentially result in something a little more interesting than a straightforward sequel/reboot.

Uh... ummm...
I always dreamed of a remake of the first Quake and how I would do it.
Now that it's a real possibility the best I can do is accept I'm not on the game designer position, thus the game will be totally different from what I would do but I hope it turns out being fun and do justice to this real classic.

They just can't forget some basic things:
- Not-so-linear levels;
- Traps;
- Multi-dimensional travels;
- Balanced use of enemies.

DoomUK said:

So long as we're dealing with two types of pure fantasy then anything is plausible. If people's suspension of disbelief is willing to go along with anything in Quake or Quake 2, then I don't see what's at risk if these two universes collided - possibly except for upsetting the most hardcore of fanboys and girls, if there's even anyone out there who feels that deeply about Quake lore.

To each their own. I just think it would make for an interesting premise, and if left in the right hands could potentially result in something a little more interesting than a straightforward sequel/reboot.

It's generally not a good idea to go two games in a particular storyline (Quake 2 and 4, or three games if you count ETQW) with no supernatural elements, and then suddenly introduce them full-force in a fourth installment. Generally, that indicates shitty story writing.

How would you feel about it if, in the next Aliens movie, they decided to reveal that the Aliens were actually demons doing the bidding of some dark overlord? It would be complete bullshit.

While I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to Q1. What I really want to see is a new Quake to reinvigorate the e-sport scene around the game.

I think my biggest fear is whether the new generation of developers can grasp the old-school mechanics that make classic FPS like Quake so appealing to us. id's last game to feature Doom's characteristics (controls, speed, level geometry, etc.) was Quake 3, and since then, id's games feel like modern shooters.

Caffeine Freak said:

How would you feel about it if, in the next Aliens movie, they decided to reveal that the Aliens were actually demons doing the bidding of some dark overlord? It would be complete bullshit.

True, but then there was never any mention of supernatural elements in any of the previous Alien films (there might have been in the comic books or somewhere, but I have no idea :p).

Whether Quake 2 was named as such because of laziness on Id's behalf and/or because they wanted to use a recognised name for their new game is irrelevant, to me. What's important is that there was this game called Quake which had a supernatural, occult-y theme, while it's sequel and two more games that directly followed it were based in a vastly different universe. Besides, Q3A already married elements from both worlds, even if it's "storyline" was hardly important considering what kind of game it was.

Caffeine Freak said:

Ha, this actually probably isn't too far off as being the premise for the prometheus sequel.