Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Okuplok

untitled 2 - a slaughter map

i'm going to make a long grindy slaughter map and surpass holy hell's monster count. why?

because i can.
*looks around to make sure people think i'm cool enough to use the 'because i can.' meme*
oh hai gggmork

map is currently 3/4 finished, just throwing it out there to get some feedback,

THIS MAP ISN'T FOR EVERYONE, IF YOU DONT LIKE LONG HARD BORING GRINDY MAPS THEN THIS ISN'T FOR YOU.

http://okuplok.webs.com/oku2v11.png

http://okuplok.webs.com/oku2v12.png

http://okuplok.webs.com/oku2v13.png

http://okuplok.webs.com/oku2v14.png

http://okuplok.webs.com/oku2v15.png

iwad: doom 2
boom (complevel 9)
map01
coop friendly
no difficulty settings yet....

have funnn and don't fall j4rio ;)

http://okuplok.webs.com/oku2v31.wad

non broken mirror: https://dsdarchive.com/wads/oku2v31

Edited by Dynamo : Replaced with correct DSDA link

YAY!

But seriously, It needed to be done.

Shots look good too btw.

It could be made way longer if you made a zdoom version with new monsters. Then the grindiness can continue for HOURS. :D

Haha, took me only half an hour to get to plasma gun. Seems to be shaping up to become a nochance 2 rather than holyhell 2.

yeah this is orders of magnitude more difficult than hh, almost all the traps are extremely vicious. if this is really only 1/4 of the map I doubt I'll live long enough to see someone max this -.-

those platforms before the red door..... why??????

I found a glitch on all the difficulty levels, no invulnerability spheres show up and most of the megaspheres dont show up either. Especially at the beginning, those invul spheres didnt show up. Please fix!!!!

Oh also none of the teleporters in the deathtraps work. I kept finding myself in a deathtrap and the teleporters wont teleport me out of them.

Pottus said:

If there is one thing about mapping..... death pits + precarious platforms do not mix.

That and the bit with the marble and bloodfalls and archviles and using the lifts to hide in so I don't get blasted across the room are pretty crazy. Need exact timing on that part. Even on iddqd it was a pain, and an inescapable bloodpit at the bottom is horrible.

I'd definitely try to map those inescapable pits out, they add nothing to the map in a speedrun and are at best annoying save/reloading.

Don't get your hopes too high with okuplok actually removing inescapable pits / adding teleporters. :p

ArmouredBlood said:

That and the bit with the marble and bloodfalls and archviles and using the lifts to hide in so I don't get blasted across the room are pretty crazy. Need exact timing on that part. Even on iddqd it was a pain, and an inescapable bloodpit at the bottom is horrible.

I'd definitely try to map those inescapable pits out, they add nothing to the map in a speedrun and are at best annoying save/reloading.

I think some authors and it's happened to me earlier when I started mapping is this idea of "I'm going to create the biggest baddest hardest Doom map ever!" when these are the worst kind of maps you can make but it's good practice learning what not to do. I guess this is why I've come to enjoy doing vanilla maps because you can still do some pretty excessive stuff level size wise (AV Map20) but the limitations act as a suitable guide which prevents the infamous sector soup syndrome from occurring (Excessive sectors / seg counts).

j4rio said:

Fun fact - okuplok will probably beat it without breaking a sweat whatsoever.

LOL! I love that!

Alwaysdoomed said:

I found a glitch on all the difficulty levels, no invulnerability spheres show up and most of the megaspheres dont show up either. Especially at the beginning, those invul spheres didnt show up. Please fix!!!!

Is that your joke or the Okuplok's joke? (I'm tempted to download this and check if there are megaspheres and invulnerability things unchecked for all skill levels)

Hahahaha. I died within seconds. Best attempt so far was about half a minute.

Edit: loving the architecture. The start in particular... Awe-inspiring stuff

So I was all "hmmmmm. I've never played a slaughtermap before, lemme give this a shot".

Those platforms should've been square. At least then I would've seen more than death-by-blood because FUCK YOU.

Yeah, not recommended for anyone who's never played a slaughtermap. I don't think. Is there any fun here? ;)

This is the best thing since pizza, really extraordinary in all ways map (ok, excluding the goddamn cacovasion, which makes me go AdhajslQ@!^&ALSDJHmelgibsonrageDFSHFl!). And now i have a goal in life for the next year at least.

40oz said:

Is that your joke or the Okuplok's joke? (I'm tempted to download this and check if there are megaspheres and invulnerability things unchecked for all skill levels)

Its my attempt at sarcasm because he litterally put no health and has some evil deathpits that are pretty easy to fall into.

This map isnt fair at all, longest i survived was 30 seconds then i gave up after about 40 saves.

I beat it... with iddqd and typing idfa and idclip like 47 times. One suggestion is maybe the exit should be more obvious than a door, like a big obvious pit or something (to avoid someone accidentally forgetting its the exit and trying to open a door before max kills and accidentally exiting after hour(s) of play).
A demo would be cool to watch but I'm not gonna record one. Actually I might just stop recording demos, especially competitively. I've been trying to beat rizera's 9:29 of sodfinal 32 and its just breaking my no-mouse-using brain. I can't compete anyway; I don't know where all these professional players came from kind of recently. Every time you beat a map, someone makes a new one, resulting in never-ending unproductivity playing doom. I want to spend time programming instead maybe but I'll probably suck at that too.

Homer: "But Marge! If I catch this fish, I'll be a hero, respected and admired for years!"
Marge: "BY whom?"
Homer: "Those weirdos down at the worm store!"

We are operant conditioning pigeons that peck at the keyboard of doom to get our reward of acknowledgement from the weirdos at doomworld.

Yup. And then we can move on to bigger things.

Like the Moon.

OLOloloLLLOl

I'm so funny.

BTW, some guys from SDA spend years doing a single speedrun. I think latest chrono trigger "max" run was over year in the making process. We are still relatively sane. Hopefully.

lols you don't suck mork. I hope you don't stop playing/mapping. It's more fun to focus on fun stuff like making maps sometimes and recording a demo on them while trying to be fast without stressing about hardcore optimization. And when people beat the demos, try to accept it and move on without having mini-mental breakdowns in my head. :)

So, Ancalagon started a server on zandronum with this map few days ago. 3 lives, item respawn on. Map is pretty popular, even though hardly anyone gets past the beginning even with these settings, but we've managed to technically beat the map with one guy today. Both lagged out in the very final trap (with imps) due to bad server settings, having spare lives and lots of supplies :/
One suggestion. Near the end, there is a fortress with revs on the balconies. How about making those balconies impassable? Most servers do not disable rocketjump by default and, hence, you can easily do a double rocketjump on these balconies and break the trap with barons & cybs, rendering them all harmless. It will not alter gameplay in prboom-plus, but will make online battles more fair.
Still cant see how a sane person could be able to beat it in singleplayer, so epic.

Disabled rj for you in the server :P, now you can't do rj over imps at start and red key, double rj at bfg, more rj at hks and rj to skip barons trap and rj out of castle and can actually play the map :D
And it is not bad settings in the server -.-, just more than 1500 imps wake at that part and it's too much for a server

It works ok with raised packetsize, i tested. And we didnt rj over anything but the castle (that's why i suggested to fix it inside the wad itself) and the jumpmaze, or broke any traps before that point in that run. They're just much much easier with itemrespawn and 2nd player to help.
Also, more bad settings - no wallruns and no lost soul limit :p