Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonsbrethren

PSX Doom: The Lost Levels - New Pre-Beta Available courtesy of Salahmander2

BaronOfStuff said:

As for creating a brand-new episode of PSX-styled maps, I'm all for it. Just stick to the basic rules/limitations and I think we could end up with something special.

And all without one single instance of bullshit fucking Revenant spam.

Will that level with the nightmare barons you mentioned appear in it? :p

Kind of hard to even have bullshit fucking Revenant spam, with their severe PSX neutering. They dont even sound menacing, unlike everything else :D

Any progress on Cyberden btw? Only seven maps left :D

By the way, if you all successfully recreate all of the Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Master Levels, TNT, Plutonia, No Rest for the Living, and Doom 64 maps, plus the bonus PSX-exclusive maps, and put them all together into one massive campaign that lets you play all of the nearly 200 levels in a row...

...it will be the greatest WAD of all time.

Megamur said:

By the way, if you all successfully recreate all of the Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Master Levels, TNT, Plutonia, No Rest for the Living, and Doom 64 maps, plus the bonus PSX-exclusive maps, and put them all together into one massive campaign that lets you play all of the nearly 200 levels in a row...

We truly do think alike. I've been pushing for this throughout the thread :p With the plans to do D64 and NRFTL in a seperate project after these last seven levels are done, every official level will be complete, even the GBA deathmatch maps have been done. If there is no optional combined release, I'm damn well doing it myself :D (I have to edit the music settings anyway to include my bonus Aubrey tracks. Bloodsea Keep WILL have Darker Than Blackness playing no matter what)

Megamur said:

After reading this a second time and understanding fully

Fucking fourthed! And if Ragnor doesn't do it, then I will! >:)

EDIT: Oh and about this Ragnor, in the interest of trying to maintain my decreasing post-rate...
You can probably guess. From what I remember from asking about the legality of my long deceased Duke3D-Doom project, the compilers would need to write an installer that requires all IWADs. Just say fuck it and do Strife, and Hexen properly and </stop>

DOUBLE EDIT: Actually, integrating that is a stupid idea. A separate project would be cool though.

Megamur said:

You don't even know how long I have been waiting for that to happen! It will be so damn epic!

While its true I'm the last person you want trying to make a map, I'm not that disastrous at Mapinfo or zmapinfo in this case. I could probably figure out how to tie the 196 official levels together, afterall, I have a functioning custom zmapinfo for the PSX TC that plays Aubrey's high quality extended tracks with the cut level tracks for Final Doom in their places and the bonus tracks for PSX Doom scattered around the secret levels, with Total Lamentation naturally being exclusive to Redemption Denied :D

Megamur said:

That would be pretty sweet, but I think some new content (monsters, bosses, skies, whathaveyou) would need to be added to prevent it from getting stale.

I guess it depends on how the NRFTL+Doom 64 bit gets done. I'd like to see at least Nightmare Imps using the PSX nightmare rendering style in the D64 maps

The only parts that would feel stale in such a massive wad to me would be the original Doom and Doom 2 PSX levels, there would be so many surrounding the new ones from LL, that and I've played them many times more often than PSX Final Doom, which ive played through only once tbh (due to the difficulty and no saving)

DeXiaZ said:

Hm, I think it's time to test this and this

Looking good so far, but you're gonna have to simply the hell out of it, it won't run on the real thing I'm afraid.

Kind of redundant to extremely simplify it to actual playstation hardware standards, as NRFTL itself doesn't run on the original Doom executables. Another reason why its not part of Lost Levels.

It's just a mod for PC. I don't think that most of Lost Levels maps will work on real Playstation.

DeXiaZ said:

It's just a mod for PC. I don't think that most of Lost Levels maps will work on real Playstation.

Technically, none of them would because they use a completely different and incompatible map format.

/pedant

BaronOfStuff said:

Technically, none of them would because they use a completely different and incompatible map format.

/pedant

That's why I'm not so pedantic with this project. Of course I've simplify my maps, but not so strong.

Your practically the head of the NRFTL+D64 sideproject at this point, so its up to you anyway. Glad we share this view though.

For LL, the limitations have a clear purpose, "what if the levels were on the discs back then". And it works, but NRFTL didn't exist then, all the other maps did.

Ragnor said:

Your practically the head of the NRFTL+D64 sideproject at this point, so its up to you anyway. Glad we share this view though.

For LL, the limitations have a clear purpose, "what if the levels were on the discs back then". And it works, but NRFTL didn't exist then, all the other maps did.

Agree. But anyway, I think that limitations on NRFTL and D64 would be interesting too :)

I'm waiting for Lost Levels release, and after I will have closeup work with NRFTL maps

I personally don't think it'd be fair to him, considering his soundtracks have been distributed online for years and those bonus tracks are one of the biggest selling points for actually buying them.

The best we can do is make something to support them but not actually add them to the mod.

Fair enough, guys. Have you ever considered using any of the Doom 64 music, or even the Quake 64 tracks for this project? There's some haunting tracks that would suit your levels perfectly.

Dragonsbrethren said:

I personally don't think it'd be fair to him, considering his soundtracks have been distributed online for years and those bonus tracks are one of the biggest selling points for actually buying them.

Make a text file in the release with alternate tracks for levels that fir the bonus tracks, with instructions on how to replace the TC music for those who have the soundtracks. Like Eve said quite a bit, Bloodsea Keep and Darker than Blackness were almost made for each other

All I ask is that you consider soundtrack owners :)

Also:

Piper Maru said:

Fair enough, guys. Have you ever considered using any of the Doom 64 music, or even the Quake 64 tracks for this project? There's some haunting tracks that would suit your levels perfectly.

In the Doom 64/NRFTL side project, obviously.

DeXiaZ said:

Sounds like mix of PSX Final Doom tracks. Not bad, but I thought that it would be really custom music.

I could do some actual custom music, I just made those to stay true to PSX DooM.

Megamur said:

Why not include jaguar , 32x , sega Saturn, Super Nintendo and other console ports !!!

Demonicus666 said:

Why not include jaguar , 32x , sega Saturn, Super Nintendo and other console ports !!!

If you mean in the same WAD, then it would pretty much be redundant, considering all of the levels on the first 3 are pretty much in the main TC itself. The latter is also quite pointless since there's nothing really new to it.

Fear V1.01

Credits go to Fenderc01 for the map.

Changed MP weapons to DM only.

And Hell Followed V1.1

Credits go to Avoozl for the map.

Replaced PC textures with PSX textures and reduced heights exceeding 256. Also eliminated a Cybie due to exceeding 26 points, replaced with another 4 barons.

Warrens V1.01

Credits go to NoneeLlama for the Hell Keep part of the map.

Aligned a few textures.

They Will Repent V1.2

Credits go to Fenderc01 for the map.

Changed MP weapons to DM only.

Hell/Forsaken Keep V1.11

Credits go to NoneeLlama for the map.

Aligned a few textures.