Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonsbrethren

PSX Doom: The Lost Levels - New Pre-Beta Available courtesy of Salahmander2

Oh shit! I left out the Administration Centre fixed version of the beta, damn, I think I left a few bug fixed maps out too.

Ok, now I'm working with Pk3 version of my music album. I'm also changed old tracks to another old tracks, not only added my music.

Working beta at this moment is about ~176 mb (21 track). If I'll use every my track, it would be ~194 mb (25 tracks). Don't know, don't know...maybe yes, maybe no, need more time to understand.

Interesting, what Aubrey would say about this?

DeXiaZ, i'm rather against your custom soundtrack for a couple of reasons.

1. remakes and remixes kill my opportunities to download. i want original pieces using the samples.

2. im hearing doom 64 samples? im sorry but if i want doom 64 music, i'd play doom 64. this is the psx doom. use the samples from that instead.

im sorry if this sounds harsh, but i am speaking the truth.

I've asked this already in another thread but noone seemed to have an answer.
THIS should be the right place to ask though.

Did the lost Arch-Vile sounds that were made for the original PSX-DOOM ever resurface?

Doohnibor said:

I've asked this already in another thread but noone seemed to have an answer.
THIS should be the right place to ask though.

Did the lost Arch-Vile sounds that were made for the original PSX-DOOM ever resurface?

I'm afraid we haven't heard anything of the lost Arch-Vile sounds alas.

Thanks for the link Salahmander2! Downloading right now, and I'm going to try it with DeXiaZ's soundtrack.

edit: I cant seem to get PSXLOSTMUS.pk3 working, the regular psx music is playing. I have both music files in the directory, do I take out the PSXTCMUS.pk3 file?

Piper Maru said:

Thanks for the link Salahmander2! Downloading right now, and I'm going to try it with DeXiaZ's soundtrack.

edit: I cant seem to get PSXLOSTMUS.pk3 working, the regular psx music is playing. I have both music files in the directory, do I take out the PSXTCMUS.pk3 file?

Hold on, there is gonna be an update to the Lost Levels finally, did you load the PSXLOSTMUS.PK3 last?

Salahmander2 said:

Hold on, there is gonna be an update to the Lost Levels finally, did you load the PSXLOSTMUS.PK3 last?

edit.

Never mind, I figured out what I was doing wrong. Also, keep me up to date for the new version of the Lost Levels!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fk11dei6s164u24/PSXLOST.PK3

FUCKING FINALLY!

The re-split IoS maps are now finally here, along with a few updates to the Wolfy maps. And some bugs that were found have now been fixed. I believe that we are probably now out of the beta status. I will say, this has been a brilliant project. So thanks everyone that contributed to this. Now go and slay some hellspawn in PSX style again!

Impboy4, thanks for reply! Yeah, I've used PSX Doom soundfont and Doom 64 soundfont too. Yeah, 50% of my track were remixes, I doesn't found this bad or something. So yes, you can disable my pk3 file if you don't like it, it's optional file.

Good to see that project had an update :)

Thank you! I think I'm finished with it, but I'll upload it later (I just deleted track LLMUS22 - I don't like it). Now my pk3 only needs fixes in zmapinfo file (I remember wrong skies in old build, I didn't tested new build yet)

I hope that Aubrey Hodges will be proud x)

I have one final batch of bugs to report. If any of these things were fixed in the new version from 2 days ago, disregard them.

In map 26 Redemption, one of the 2 switches in this room doesn't fully rise. This is what each side looked like after rising.

Edit: I noticed that the linedefs forming sector 217 (the left side switch) all have MARBLE04 set as their backside texture, while the linedefs forming sector 206 (the right side switch) have no backside texture.

This is why they behave differently, but I can't remember which switch is the screwed up one.

In map 59 The Sewers, linedef 353 (between sectors 151 and 153) incorrectly has METAL03 as it's front side texture. It should be BARS02

Also, when you beat the last level, the Lost Levels victory message will play, then, suddenly, for no apparent reason, the PC Doom 2 map 06 victory message will play, then the Lost Levels cast of characters will play.

I've been playing The Lost Levels non-stop, and they feel like they genuinely came from the PSX Doom games. Very impressive, keep up the good work guys.

Wait a second...

The re-split IoS maps are now finally here, along with a few updates to the Wolfy maps. And some bugs that were found have now been fixed. I believe that we are probably now out of the beta status. I will say, this has been a brilliant project. So thanks everyone that contributed to this. Now go and slay some hellspawn in PSX style again!

It's the FINAL version?

P.S.: Also still getting "Doom 2 Map08 text" after Ending text.

DeXiaZ said:

Wait a second...

It's the FINAL version?

P.S.: Also still getting "Doom 2 Map08 text" after Ending text.

We'll let Dragonsbrethern make the call, after all, he is the leader of the project, as for the Doom 2 Map07 text, where do we put it?

Ach! Mein beloved Last Call! You philistines haf ruined ze meisterwork of boss triggers!

Use this version if the limit was originally exceeded. That damn Cyberdemon is supposed to be the boss, everything after is just a post-victory winding down exercise to close Evilution with. Which just happens to include another mandatory set of kills.

Also I fucked about and shuffled some other stuff. Map uses the same monster variety as Tricks And Traps now, so don't try waving that points limit bullshit around at me this time!

as for the Doom 2 Map07 text, where do we put it?

What do you mean? This text must be deleted, because it doesn't fit in situation ;)

P.S.: So, I've patched my Music pack. I've added +1 track (by jdagenet, he asked me for this, I approved). I'll upload it after D2Map07-text "bug" fixing (I don't know how to fix this). And I'm thinking about adding demonic voice acting for final text.

P.S.S.: sorry for my really awful english, my skills were decreased due to no practice so much time

BaronOfStuff said:

Ach! Mein beloved Last Call! You philistines haf ruined ze meisterwork of boss triggers!

Use this version if the limit was originally exceeded. That damn Cyberdemon is supposed to be the boss, everything after is just a post-victory winding down exercise to close Evilution with. Which just happens to include another mandatory set of kills.

Also I fucked about and shuffled some other stuff. Map uses the same monster variety as Tricks And Traps now, so don't try waving that points limit bullshit around at me this time!

That'll be my doing, I shall use your version, it's undoubtably better anyway.

DeXiaZ said:

What do you mean? This text must be deleted, because it doesn't fit in situation ;)

P.S.: So, I've patched my Music pack. I've added +1 track (by jdagenet, he asked me for this, I approved). I'll upload it after D2Map07-text "bug" fixing (I don't know how to fix this). And I'm thinking about adding demonic voice acting for final text.

P.S.S.: sorry for my really awful english, my skills were decreased due to no practice so much time

Scratch that, I've actually noticed it. How the hell. o.O

I was wondering, how much has been done with the Wolfenstein maps so far? Because I was thinking it would be neat if instead of recreating the levels from the DOS version of Wolfenstein, the rearranged maps from the console versions were used instead.

The first of them would look like this, and the second would look like this, but not necessarily with the SNES version's censored textures.

In addition, if we're using the SS Guards, they could also use the clearer voice clips from the console ports.

I'm really sorry if any of this has been brought up before or if it's too late to do this or if it's just a bad idea and I'm wasting everyone's time, but 55 pages is a lot to check through for something like that.

Is it just me or does just about every map go against the Playstation limitations? Every map feels like a copy-paste situation with added colors and calling it good. There are a few minor edits here-and-there but nothing that makes the maps Playstation-compatible.
Is this something you guys will go back through and correct at the end before the final release?

As far as I remember there was already work done for that purpose, however it is reckoned that was not why the original PSX had reduced maps, it was said that it was mainly the Jaguar version of Doom ported to PSX.

No, guys, Wolfenstein maps were done from Doom 2 versions with retexture, coloring and some sector edits.

Our maps are very reduced, a lot of original details were deleted (I hate that Mount Pain was deleted from MOUNT PAIN map).

Yes, possibly it can't be runned on original PSX, but who the hell will try it?

Even if somebody try to port map, he must retexture it from scratch, it's hell work.

But in theory those maps must work on the original machine, but I think that some maps will ruin it...

And yes, few maps were ported from Jaguar Doom, because it's easer to use them than try to decrease the quality by themselfs (I mean, Jaguar Doom port was done by another dudes).

Well here's just a few things that wouldn't fly on the Playstation:

• I imagine most of the central area in "Slough of Despair" would've been removed and leveled out.
  • The rocky/cave areas in "Against The Wickedly" would've been straightened out and not be so rounded and/or pointy. Most of the linedefs would be orthogonal as well and not so curvy.
  • I suspect the mappers would've cut down a lot of the stairs and either replaced them with teleporters or lifts in "And Hell Followed".
  • "Downtown" would've probably been cropped down a fraction of its size (removing the outer-rim of the map as well as removing useless buildings).
  • I definitely think the red keycard area in "The Chasm" would've been removed completely as it's quite useless.
  • The developers would've removed the entire lava section in "The Spirit World" and just made a connection to the yellow key area via teleporter. The central area outside of spawn would also be simplified down most-likely since there's a lot of curved lines in that area.
  • Stairs would be simplified/removed in "The Living End" and the areas in question would be lowered or accessed via lift.
  • "Elevator To Hell" would legitimately melt your Playstation! There's so many linedefs, I'm not even sure if you COULD make that map Playstation-compatible.
  • Most of the stairs would be removed and/or sections of the map would be deleted and replaced with teleporters to connect important areas in "Hanger (LOST21)"
  • The cave system in "River Styx" would've been simplified and shortened.
I'd also like to point out that there's a missing texture on the water lift in the spawn area of "Habitat".

jdagenet said:

• The cave system in "River Styx" would've been simplified and shortened.

• But wouldn't that kill the point in the River Styx being an actual river like in the roman mythology?