Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonsbrethren

PSX Doom: The Lost Levels - New Pre-Beta Available courtesy of Salahmander2

Avoozl said:

But wouldn't that kill the point in the River Styx being an actual river like in the roman mythology?

It wouldn't exactly kill the point -- I'm not saying to completely remove the river section, just shorten it up a bit. The idea would still be conveyed.
Besides, if the main idea of this project is too emulate the hardware constraints of the Playstation then it really wouldn't really matter if things like that had to be removed. I mean just look at Containment Area, the developers removed almost half of the map, ultimately destroying one of the more iconic maps in the game.

meh, who cares about the emulation being exactly like the PSX. this is a mappack for a TC of a great doom port. since it's a TC, you will expect PC elements a lot. Doom 64 TC did the same thing.

lol, agree with Impboy4.

But anyway:

"Downtown" would've probably been cropped down a fraction of its size (removing the outer-rim of the map as well as removing useless buildings).

Seems legit, it's possible to remove them, because it's just walls with windows textures.

"Elevator To Hell" would legitimately melt your Playstation! There's so many linedefs, I'm not even sure if you COULD make that map Playstation-compatible.

I don't think so. There are few maps in PSX [Final] Doom which have more linedefs than "Elevator to Hell". For example - Doom 1 Pandemonium, Doom 2 The Cortiyard, etc.

Most of the stairs would be removed and/or sections of the map would be deleted and replaced with teleporters to connect important areas in "Hanger (LOST21)"

Most ladders were removed, are you sure that you've played last version?

The cave system in "River Styx" would've been simplified and shortened.

Like Mount Pain to make this map without Mount Pain? This cave system is already simplified. If we'll try to decrease sectors and/or their lenghts - we just destroy ryver. And map will be renamed to "Tombs of lava" of something.

SiFi270 said:

I was wondering, how much has been done with the Wolfenstein maps so far? Because I was thinking it would be neat if instead of recreating the levels from the DOS version of Wolfenstein, the rearranged maps from the console versions were used instead.

The first of them would look like this, and the second would look like this, but not necessarily with the SNES version's censored textures.

In addition, if we're using the SS Guards, they could also use the clearer voice clips from the console ports.

I'm really sorry if any of this has been brought up before or if it's too late to do this or if it's just a bad idea and I'm wasting everyone's time, but 55 pages is a lot to check through for something like that.

Wolfenstein and Grosse have been redesigned with PSX Doom textures and aesthetics, they feel almost like new maps entirely. They were also renamed to "The Castle" and "The Escape" respectively.

Yeah you can't really use the Jaguar maps as a gauge for what the PSX was capable of. The Inmost Dens didn't blow up anyone's PSX, so I'm doubting a lot of LL would either.

jdagenet said:

I mean just look at Containment Area, the developers removed almost half of the map, ultimately destroying one of the more iconic maps in the game.

I actually prefer the edited version ...

scalliano said:

I actually prefer the edited version ...

I guess some cuts do please people more, I do prefer the original, but the new version is still good.

Speaking of which, need all your opinions on this..

I am thinking, of converting some of the levels that lost a shit ton of detail from the Jaguar conversions, so having some of the levels like the PC version a bit more, it can be optional, anyone like this idea?

Salahmander2 said:

I guess some cuts do please people more, I do prefer the original, but the new version is still good.

Speaking of which, need all your opinions on this..

I am thinking, of converting some of the levels that lost a shit ton of detail from the Jaguar conversions, so having some of the levels like the PC version a bit more, it can be optional, anyone like this idea?

You mean like if Midway edited Doom E1-E3 directly and not using the Jaguar as a base? I'm down with that. :)

Well, E1 is technically fine as it is, I was thinking...Containment Area, Halls Of The Damned, Spawning Vats, House of Pain and Mt Erebus.

Well there's nothing wrong with adding yet another expansion episode, just so long as it doesn't fuck with the original mapflow, etc. in any way.

Speaking of such an idea, I actually have a WIP of a 'not raped so much' E3M4 in PSX style somewhere. SOMEWHERE.

I was thinking more of making it some sort of seperate episode or simply as secret levels. It shouldn't mess with the flow in any shape or form.

Whoaaaaaaaah, wait guys. Just finish this project first.

We need MOAR MAPS, I agree about old-new episode idea, but this must be done after, not now.

Spawning Vats no longer had metal vats in the PSX version so its map name became pointless, maybe an edited original version could keep the actual metal vats.

What? Yes it did. The secret exit, the bit just before it, is a room with a bunch of boxes with slime in it, I always saw those as acid vats.

Ragnor said:

What? Yes it did. The secret exit, the bit just before it, is a room with a bunch of boxes with slime in it, I always saw those as acid vats.

I seemed to remember metal vats in an area which wasn't secret and that they were reskinned to stone in PSX version, I should probably play the TC again and recheck it since I haven't played it in a while.

Salahmander2 said:

But there is nothing much left to do...

Nobody fixed Map07 text after Icon of Sin map.

It was funny to listen midi music and read text about cosmoport/spaceport and saved human kind, but...it ruins epic atmosphere of Victory

Salahmander2 said:

Well, E1 is technically fine as it is, I was thinking...Containment Area, Halls Of The Damned, Spawning Vats, House of Pain and Mt Erebus.

I'd highly recommend adding Central Processing and Command Center to the list. Like the 5 you mentioned, these 2 are also missing huge sections of the map.

Central Processing is fine as is. the areas that were changed/removed are nothing too major.

Impboy4 said:

Central Processing is fine as is. the areas that were changed/removed are nothing too major.

I guess it's subjective. Other than the red key area, the map's basically the same. That being said, the red key area was removed in it's entirety. Whether this is a worthwhile enough difference for inclusion, I can't say. Either way, I'd maintain that Central Processing's cuts are similar to Halls of the Damned's and Mt Erebus's. The only significant cut in Halls of the Damned is that the fake exit area was removed and the only significant cut in Mt Erebus is that the secret exit/water area was removed.

Doom_user said:

I guess it's subjective. Other than the red key area, the map's basically the same. That being said, the red key area was removed in it's entirety. Whether this is a worthwhile enough difference for inclusion, I can't say. Either way, I'd maintain that Central Processing's cuts are similar to Halls of the Damned's and Mt Erebus's. The only significant cut in Halls of the Damned is that the fake exit area was removed and the only significant cut in Mt Erebus is that the secret exit/water area was removed.

I'm comparing maps at this minute...the nukage area with walkways at Central Processing around where the yellow key is got cut quite a bit too. Also upon looking at some maps, I completely forgot Pandemonium took a hit as well.

I'll happily give them all a shot for conversion and put them in the new version.

That probably won't take too long to do DeXiaZ.

Yeah, you're right. Just delete after Lost 61C map this code:

AddDefaultMap
{
	Cluster = 4
}
Ok, mapset is done now. I need to finish my musicpack and I'll release it too.

P.S.: Would we upload this project on Moddb?

Didn't even work...

Edit: Sorted, turns out the cluster number was the same as the first 6 levels in Doom 2, now it will go straight to the cast.

Ok, guys! I want to share final (I suppose) version of my MUSIC addon for The Lost Levels.

https://yadi.sk/d/hfyIswXigFpwF

It contains 24 new tracks (but I've deleted Title music), 22 were made by myself. 2 other tracks were done by jdagenet and DUDEDAMAN321.

By the way, few tracks uses Doom 64 instruments, so, if you don't want to hear them like Impboy4 user - do not download it.

Hope you will like it!

@DeXiaZ,

Truly outstanding work. I adore the Doom 64 instruments, they really add to the atmosphere of the Lost Levels. Keep up the good work, Aubrey Hodges would be very proud of you.

I really enjoyed composing my track for the music pack, I'm satisfied with the outcome. It sounds like it came straight from the console!

I'm just downloading your new music pack now. I've been out of the Doom community for quite some time due to real-life stuff, so I started playing some of the Lost Levels again, considering it's been about two years since I critiqued the maps.

Once again, I'm struck by the dedication of those who worked on this. The PSX makeover really does suit Doom better. In my opinion, Doom and Final Doom on the PSX are complete as they are, they picked many of the best levels and chopped out the unbelievably crap ones, such as Chasm, Titan Manor and the execrable, unfinished Mill. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed PSX Doom quite as much with these included. So I genuinely believe PSX Doom lives up to its own hype as "the best Doom yet".

That said, it is brilliant to finally see what these levels might have looked like had they made the cut; it's always been my biggest "what if" from the PSX days.

I went on a ghost hunt with a girl from work last year and we were in the middle of these pitch-black woods standing next to an old monument, and I started playing PSX Doom music on my phone. Hannah is reckless and brave, but she basically shat herself and made me turn it off.