Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonsbrethren

PSX Doom: The Lost Levels - New Pre-Beta Available courtesy of Salahmander2

DeXiaZ said:

Which map_number I should give to this map?

Don't suppose it really matters just yet, just include a MAPINFO lump with the name/music choice stuff and whatnot. Assigning slots will probably be decided much later down the line when more maps are converted.

Speaking of which, are you manually converting these maps from one format to another?

Speaking of which, are you manually converting these maps from one format to another?

Yeah. Copied from DOom 2 and pasted to UDMF. Then I just re-added line actions like original map; and added sector colors; deleted some monsters, etc...

Don't include MAPINFO, it messes with ScottGray's Lost Levels updater. Just post the music and sky you want with the wad.

Ok, good idea. I will upload demonstration video soon, where you'll see and hear ;) {Sorry for bad eng}

DeXiaZ said:

Yeah. Copied from DOom 2 and pasted to UDMF. Then I just re-added line actions like original map; and added sector colors; deleted some monsters, etc...

Jesus Christ, don't do it like that! First convert to Hexen format with ZWADCONV found here.

Usage: zwadconv <source.wad> <output.wad>

Then convert that to UDMF with WAD2UDMF found here.

Usage: wad2udmf -input <source.wad> -output <output.wad>

This will save you a hell of a lot of time!

Edit:
Just noticed that the first post hasn't been updated with my recent WIP submissions (Bad Dream, the mashed-up trio of MAP30's, and the Go 2 It demo).

Well even though they're not necessarily 'complete', I'd appreciate feedback on them before I consider them finished. Can just update any links for changed WADs accordingly.

Yeah, I still need to test them. The connection keeps getting cut here, so I haven't been able to

BaronOfStuff said:
Jesus Christ, don't do it like that! First convert to Hexen format with ZWADCONV found here.

Too late. This note must be in first post.

It's also worth mentioning that directly using WAD2UDMF on a vanilla format map won't work properly either (or at least it doesn't for me); you'll still end up with a UDMF map, but with all the linedefs and sectors retaining their original trigger-type numbers, so you'd still have to convert all the activation types and tags manually anyway.

BaronOfStuff said:

It's also worth mentioning that directly using WAD2UDMF on a vanilla format map won't work properly either (or at least it doesn't for me); you'll still end up with a UDMF map, but with all the linedefs and sectors retaining their original trigger-type numbers, so you'd still have to convert all the activation types and tags manually anyway.

Well, what's difference? Download 2 programms and use them instead of pressing "Ctrl+C" and "Ctrl+D"? (:

Anyway, thx for advice about those programms, I think it's useful sometimes.

P.S.: Video will be soon...

DeXiaZ said:

Well, what's difference? Download 2 programms and use them instead of pressing "Ctrl+C" and "Ctrl+D"? (:

Well, if you use both programs in the correct order the difference is less time spent making sure that even basic doors work. Using ZWADCONV first will correctly translates the vanilla trigger types to the Hexen equivalent, and the numbers for these are shared with the UDMF format so the second conversion is pain-free. All you have to do is retexture and dick around with the colours, etc. because everything else will work perfectly.

In other news, messed around with that IOS map some more. Now it actually feels more like a finale, although I might have gone a bit overboard (but it is the final map, so blah). I'll post an updated link (and maybe a video) after some more testing.

I've also been thinking about the IOS textures. Should I sharpen them so that they fit in with the rest of the PSX textures? I know that the Final Doom ones were pretty much left alone (minor palette changes aside), but it takes about 30 seconds to do the whole thing so..?

BaronOfStuff said:

Very nice! You've kept all the important areas of the map practically intact!

Thank you! I am really glad that you liked it! Well, I need fix 1 moment (where are palsmagun and cacodemos - the lift going down infinitely, it's easy to fix it). And I can upload finished map.

UPD: Download

BaronOfStuff said:

Do you type these command lines when you run the application? I can't open them :/

Eris Falling said:

Do you type these command lines when you run the application? I can't open them :/

Yes, you can't run either in any useful way without those commands; both dirty "command-line required" programs, unfortunately. Alternatively you can just create shortcuts or batch files instead, which is what I do.

Ah thanks, I've managed to convert it now :) Will make a start on this now, probably won't be able to show anything until tomorrow.

Guess what ;)

Secret maps from Xbox release are really piece of sh~. I do not want to offend anyone, but it's a shame. How is it allowed it to release as official map??? It's really crap wad like those what reviews by BaronOfStuff (I mean his videos "Doom crap wads").

Now about the map:
Removed monsters (because original map have 45 points) to 26 points. Now we can see Imps, zombies (including sergeants and chaingunners), demons, revenants (instead of Hellknights, Arch-Viles and Mancubuses), cacodemons and lost souls (instead of Pain Elementals, 3 souls instead of 1 elemental).

Don't know about nukage texture. Should I change them into standart metal floor?

Nixing? Sorry, my eng is not really good (sometimes it's really bad), what does it mean? I can't translate it :\

UPD: Uh, nvm (possibly it means "forbid" [?]).

DeXiaZ said:

Secret maps from Xbox release are really piece of sh~. I do not want to offend anyone, but it's a shame. How is it allowed it to release as official map???

They aren't official maps. They're super-well hidden easter eggs that the developers put there as their personal memento of how far they've come.

Players aren't really supposed to visit them. It's only thanks to the Internet's collective obsessive-compulsive behavior that they are known about at all.

To nix: to remove, veto, suppress, deny, or otherwise negate. Probably comes from the German "nicht".

Well, Xbox release isn't fan game. And all maps (and this crap too) are official for this release.

Anyway, I think, that it possible to redone it into good playable map. In any case, I'll try

Think of it this way:

Lost Levels is a chance to make levels like Sewers and Betray into something worth while. To improve them in various ways to make them worthy of being with the rest.

Look at Baron's take on Wolfenstein and Grosse. He took those levels (which weren't very interesting) and turned them into mapping gold.

I believe it can be done.

Dragonsbrethren said:

The XBox bonus stuff would be cool

*cough*

Yeah, the main point is to get them worthy of their official status. Ive been asking a few people's opinion on them and they all think they have promise. People just need to look past the 1994isms and upgrade them

Betray's gimmick was its excess of liquids, it makes it look surreal. I suggest going with that

Heh. I hadn't actually played the maps in a couple years when I posted that and completely forgot about them; I went back and played them since and they're pretty awful. I mean, yeah, we can make them better, but I'm more worried about the official id and TNT/Plutonia maps getting finished first.

Fun fact: They were considered for the 1994 Tune-up thing, but weren't applicable due to the text file stating they couldn't be modified.

Betray's gimmick was its excess of liquids, it makes it look surreal. I suggest going with that

And strange, this map was called "Betray", but it's SEWERS! *facepalm*

Sewers is named for the colossal maze section that's all in water, much of which would be simplified for Lost Levels (Not to Jaguar levels though guys!)

Betray uses strange combinations of liquids, almost every room is liquid based. Lets just imagine it means "your perception of reality has been betrayed"

I'd like to see some use of transparency to have waterfalls/slimefalls/lavafalls to walk through in areas, especially if there in front of doors. Say for example, the rooms in the green slime, have the effect of buildings entirely encased in green slime. Theres just so much that can be done with Betray...

I didn't understand you fully, but anyway, what you think:

I think it's freaking sewers, anyway -.-'