Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PhantomTMac

Doom 2 Hi-Res Side Project

When I'm not working on new maps and story-based wads, I like to poke around with vanilla Doom. For the heck of it, I decided to do something that other people have done, but put my own twist on it: Give Doom 2 higher resolution textures.

Here are some examples of this:

I'm not professional and this is just for pure enjoyment.

Olympus said:

Sorry to be negative but... Those textures just look blurry, except for the crates, which looks nice.

I know, it's one of the things I'm trying to fix.

I don't so much agree with the new metal texture, a more scratched up look as opposed to the original.

Avoozl said:

I don't so much agree with the new metal texture, a more scratched up look as opposed to the original.

Ironic that the one texture that isn't super blurry is the one that should be a little more blurry...

PhantomTMac said:

Ironic that the one texture that isn't super blurry is the one that should be a little more blurry...

No, it is still blurry, and it has completely the wrong texture: the pattern of the original is completely absent and has been replaced with something totally different. Rather than a shiny steel wall, it now looks like cloth canvas that's been swathed with mayo.

esselfortium said:

No, it is still blurry, and it has completely the wrong texture: the pattern of the original is completely absent and has been replaced with something totally different. Rather than a shiny steel wall, it now looks like cloth canvas that's been swathed with mayo.

That's, uh, certainly an interesting way of putting it...

The crate does look nice. I suspect much of the blurryness is artifacting. Try not saving the images with compression.

The first few look nice, but after the crates it's kinda meh. Actually, the crates are really nice, though I never thought of them as wood really :P

I'm afraid that I am another one in the "too blurry" camp. Although there has been some actual editing done, most of them look like they have been upsized and then beaten to death by some photoshop filters. It kind of gives the impression that they have been photographed using a camera with Vaseline smeared unevenly on the lens. The SILVER texture is just wrong. It makes it look like a totally different material: one which would be entirely inappropriate for most of the places where that texture gets used.

On the plus side, I too like the crates. They are proper made-from-scratch hi-res replacements.

They all look crappy except for the top one. The crate looks like you copy pasted it from another source then just put the uac symbols on it and called it done because tbh that crate sprite looks nothing like the original. The bottom one looks like bloody throwup.

I know your probably took a few hours out of your life to make theses, but still....

I for 1 am tired of all these hi res graphic topics and none of them either producing quality work or they do but never get finished.

Id love to see someone remake all the monster sprites and make em look more evil, kinda like doom64.

Only the texture of box takes out there. Other textures had a use of exaggerated filter which gives an aspect vagueness, what is too bad.

But do not loose courage, I think that by finding textures in sites as Fotolia (there is doubtless a free version of this site). You can by playing on copies, to have a more clean result.