The 1-Tag Project! - Looking for mappers

Is the 1-Tag concept a good idea?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Is the 1-Tag concept a good idea?

• Yes
    • No
    • Needs more Impsex

Welcome to The 1-Tag Project!

I was snooping around the IdGames archive and I found a neat little map by Creaphis: basically the concept was that you could only use the 1 and 0 tags to create your map. Sounds impossible, right? Nope. :) I loved the idea and immediately set about creating my own "1-Tag" map: it was tricky using only the 1 tag, but I think I managed pretty well. I reckon that a megawad's worth of these maps would be a great idea, and it's also a brilliant way to encourage ingenuity when it comes to mapmaking. Here's the rules:

Rules.

*The obvious one: you are only allowed to use the 1 and 0 tags to make your map.

*The map must be Boom-compatible or Vanilla limit-removing.

*I haven't decided on custom textures yet, so opinions on good texture sets are welcome.

*If you're making MAP07, you can use the 666 or 667 tag instead of the 1 tag: only one tag though, mind you.

*Deadline: next year'sthis year's Cacowards(durr hurr).

*I think that's about it. :)

Tips.

*Bear in mind that if you're making a door that opens when pressed, you don't need to tag the door at all.

*The generalized actions in Boom offer a lot of freedom, but make sure you don't go overboard: 2 or 3 at the most is probably a good idea.

*There are no limits to thing placement: go wild!

*Look at the concept map for things you can do with1 tag. Dissect, experiment, test!

Creaphis's Concept Map.

Texture sets.
*UAC Ultra Texture Pack

Mappers.
*Phobus
*Alwaysdoomed
*walter confalonieri
*Pottus
*ArmouredBlood
*PhantomTMac
*Pcorf

Maps submitted.
Me
ArmouredBlood
Phobus
walter confalonieri (Beta stage)
PhantomTMac(Beta stage)
paulcorfiatis.com/pc_botro.zip]Pcorf

PS: There's quite a few "Needs more Impsex" votes in the poll. I hope I don't regret putting that option in. X-D

Mr. Chris said:

I hope this doesn't distract you from Can't Touch This.

I've got looooots of time on my hands. I think I'll be fine. :)

Speaking of which, who's got it now?

I've just had an idea that'd be completely multi player incompatible whilst reading this thread. I may have to give it a go tonight after work.

It's quite impressive how many actions you've used. The only downside is that each action is very loud: you can hear stuff moving everywhere.

Phobus said:

I've just had an idea that'd be completely multi player incompatible whilst reading this thread. I may have to give it a go tonight after work.

:3 If it goes towards this project, I'm all for it.

Alwaysdoomed said:

Ill make a map for this, if you will accept short maps =P

No probs. If it isn't too hard I can pop it at the start. :)

walter confalonieri said:

look, if i made something is something short like alwaysdoomed...

Yep, I'm fine with short maps. It is kind of tricky using only one tag, but you get better as you go along.

Memfis said:

It's quite impressive how many actions you've used. The only downside is that each action is very loud: you can hear stuff moving everywhere.

Heh, I guess that could be a problem. It'd fit in machine-type maps though. :D Can you give me some tips on sound reduction?

Obsidian said:

:3 If it goes towards this project, I'm all for it.

My map is probably about 50% done and will be donated to this project when complete. It's not very detailed or anything, but I've gone for a "clean" aesthetic which might make it look pretty good anyway. Should be relatively dynamic, if it all works according to plan :P

Phobus said:

My map is probably about 50% done and will be donated to this project when complete. It's not very detailed or anything, but I've gone for a "clean" aesthetic which might make it look pretty good anyway. Should be relatively dynamic, if it all works according to plan :P

=D Alright! Thanks man.

Obsidian said:

PS: There's quite a few "Needs more Impsex" votes in the poll. I hope I don't regret putting that option in. X-D

You can't put an option like that on a poll and expect anyone to vote for anything other than it.

Dragonsbrethren said:

You can't put an option like that on a poll and expect anyone to vote for anything other than it.

X-D Good point. It's my first poll as well, so I guess I got a bit silly.

@Phobus Nice shots, but I reckon a new texture set would make them look even better. Can you recommend anything?

Lookie here...

I made this little example map to showcase a new idea that I think might help if you're having trouble with your maps. What it does is enable switch-activated doors that don't use any tags: just make a little door that opens directly and join it to the doors you want to open. Hope you like. :P

Pottus said:

A few more tricks...

http://www.mediafire.com/?622d4gma3v1oph1

Stairs, lifts, ceilings, floors

I think the generalized line makes pretty much anything possible apart from lighting and teleports.

...And here I thought it only worked with doors. Thanks man!

I don't suppose you could make any maps? =D

Possibly, depending on how long you think the project cycle will be since I do have quite a few projects on the go I don't want to take on anything with too much of a time crunch right now.

Pottus said:

Possibly, depending on how long you think the project cycle will be since I do have quite a few projects on the go I don't want to take on anything with too much of a time crunch right now.

I'm not too fussed with waiting, provided you can get submissions in before next year's Cacowards. :P

Now that I check some of those methods I used I realize some of the switches won't light up in some ports but even so could probably use some more work and it can be overcome. Anyways given a years time on this project put me down for at least one MAP I'd like to see what I can come up with.

Pottus said:

Now that I check some of those methods I used I realize some of the switches won't light up in some ports but even so could probably use some more work and it can be overcome. Anyways given a years time on this project put me down for at least one MAP I'd like to see what I can come up with.

Kewl! Updating first post.

Obsidian said:

Lookie here...

I made this little example map to showcase a new idea that I think might help if you're having trouble with your maps. What it does is enable switch-activated doors that don't use any tags: just make a little door that opens directly and join it to the doors you want to open. Hope you like. :P

I'd already done joined sector doors in my map (using tag 0 still) before you posted that :P

As for texture sets... I usually don't bother with them - certainly re-texturing after the maps already well under way would be more hassle than it's worth. There's quite a bit more map there than I displayed in those two shots, I was just having a hard time finding a bit that seemed particularly visually interesting (a frequent problem for me).

FDA for AB-1-tag. Few deaths, exit without killing everything.

I liked the concept. That said, it seemed like there wasn't much space to fight the opposition - and steep height changes made it harder to see what's going on as well. Instinctively, my doomguy went all "I don't want no trouble guys be cool" and tried to squeeze by the infighting unnoticed, instead of acting like the berserker packin' man and a half he usually thinks he is. I'd like it better with less monsters or scaled up, I think.

Edit: ooh. I missed the hidden SSG. Suddenly everything makes more sense. You can see how much effort it was compared to just speeding through, though.

Yeah that SSG was not meant to be hidden. Also the lava is supposed to be 5% dmg. I'll watch this demo before doing stuff though.

E: Canvas updated with V2

Hopefully the sound blocking lines work correctly now. The bottom fight should be a little more tactical, though I think I should've used

Spoiler

hell knights instead of barons for time reasons

Hmm, all that generalized linedef stuff kind of defeats the point, doesn't it? Maybe classic Doom 2 format should be chosen instead.

Memfis said:

Hmm, all that generalized linedef stuff kind of defeats the point, doesn't it? Maybe classic Doom 2 format should be chosen instead.

Didn't say anything but thought the exact same thing when people started discussing tricks and such. I understand the appeal in designing workarounds, but once that problem is solved, what's the point in having limitations then? Kind of hoping to see maps exploring creative architecture use and monster placement to make something feel dynamic despite using hardly any actions.

Edit: FDA for AB1tagv2

Memfis said:

I was kind of thinking the same thing, that is why I would propose only 5 generalized linedefs or less at least this way maps can still have some features like lifts, rising stairs lowering floors etc going all out with them would really defeat the challenge.

Memfis said:

I've been using Doom 2 format for my map (as I do whenever somebody asks me to do "Boom compatible") and I've still got quite a lot going on. The main problem I'm battling is linearity, as it's quite easy to have things progress using 1 tag, but its much harder to have previous areas be revisitable (and work) when changes are being applied across the map in a sequence. Seems to be working so far though, which is a bit of luck. You do get locked into the exit area though, which is what I meant by it being completely incompatible with multiplayer when I first got the idea.

Memfis said:

I was thinking the same thing when I saw what Pottus rigged up. I don't want to stop using Boom format altogether though, it's got a few tricks I want to apply to a few more maps.

@ArmouredBlood I'll try your map in a second.