Obsidian

The 1-Tag Project! - Looking for mappers

Is the 1-Tag concept a good idea?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Is the 1-Tag concept a good idea?

• Yes
    • No
    • Needs more Impsex

Ouch...that was a vicious bastard. It's a bit simplistic for my liking, but it'd work perfectly as a map after a suicide exit. I'll pen it in for either the MAP11 OR MAP21 spot.

Just seen a problem with going for Doom 2 compatability - according to chocorenderlimits.exe, my unfinished map would crash vanilla Doom 2 because there's more than 22 sectors adjacent to the moving ones. No idea that was a limit before now, but there you are! Works fine in prboom-plus and ZDoom 2.6.0, so it's far from unplayable. I've kept the visuals very low key for now. Might detail it or might leave it looking old school. I'll see what people think when I'm done with the layout, functionality and game play.

Phobus said:

Just seen a problem with going for Doom 2 compatability - according to chocorenderlimits.exe, my unfinished map would crash vanilla Doom 2 because there's more than 22 sectors adjacent to the moving ones. No idea that was a limit before now, but there you are! Works fine in prboom-plus and ZDoom 2.6.0, so it's far from unplayable. I've kept the visuals very low key for now. Might detail it or might leave it looking old school. I'll see what people think when I'm done with the layout, functionality and game play.

Nah, leave it as it is. There's enough challengs without throwing limits into this. :/

Obsidian: Your map seems to be impossible. I ran low on ammo and health against the first Arch-Vile because it got lucky once in that cramped library full of low-health meat shields for it to resurrect, so the two chaingunners minced me, the 4 Revenants later owned me and I only got through the map thanks to liberal application of ZDoom's "resurrect" cheat. It showcases the versatility of the mapping concept well, but plays poorly due to being understocked IMO.

ArmouredBlood: I beat your v2 on my second attempt. I knew it'd be a sort of mini-slaughter map because you made it, so that probably prepared me to go weapons free and make use of ZDoom's mouselook when advantageous :P

Creaphis' initial concept map is clearly a concept map, but I like it for what it does. I intend my map to play a lot more like a "normal" map, so by the looks of things it'll go early in the finished product.

Phobus said:

Obsidian: Your map seems to be impossible. I ran low on ammo and health against the first Arch-Vile because it got lucky once in that cramped library full of low-health meat shields for it to resurrect, so the two chaingunners minced me, the 4 Revenants later owned me and I only got through the map thanks to liberal application of ZDoom's "resurrect" cheat. It showcases the versatility of the mapping concept well, but plays poorly due to being understocked IMO.

I dunno...I managed to get to the last area without being killed, although I always seem to get squashed on that bit. I'll make another version with a bit more ammo. Plus I need to do a bugfix.

The berserk arena fight is actually one of the easier bits, because I felt quite well stocked then and was comfortable taking down everything up until the Arch-Vile pair with minimal ammo expenditure, where I could then just use rockets and keep them suppressed :P

Also, my home internet is currently suspended (some sort of flaw in my landlord's account, apparently) so whilst I can browse this forum at work, I'll not be able to upload my map anywhere for the indefinite future. Now I'm going to assume that'll just be a couple of days, but you just never know with BT.

I'm patient. :3

Here's the updated version of my map: I sprinkled a bit more ammo around, fixed a few bugs and remodelled the final room. I'll replace the old link in the first post.

http://www.mediafire.com/?e95al0o6v9ho7wc

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I replaced the Revenants in the last room with Chaingunners. Because I could.

Scypek2 said:

How about a bonus level map using two sectors only? I would like to have more challenge :P

I'm thinking maybe a bonus map that uses no tags whatsoever. Howzabout that?

UPDATE! I'm currently working on one of the secret maps: no tags whatsoever is going to be a nice little challenge. I'm using the UAC Ultra textures for a change of pace, so I'll put the link in the first post. How's progress for everyone else?

Got one area to do before my basic map is in. Then we can have some feedback and see if it needs detailing or whatever.

walter confalonieri said:

mmm... i made nothing -__-

I'm patient. :3

As for me, I'm still on my map. I'd post a screenshot, but it ain't much to look at right now. I blame the UAC Ultra textures. X-D

walter confalonieri said:

yes... just a experiment, if there's something to be changed i'll do...

I'd just recommend not relying on generalized linedefs too much. :D

Progress? I'll admit I haven't done as much work on my map as I should have, but I think it's coming on nicely. Howzabout you guys? :)

If I can just sit down for a few hours and point myself at this project rather than Forza 4, my map will be done.

Acording to doomworld, this project need more impsex. If you add rule about at least one impsex per map, then more people might join.

Sokoro said:

Acording to doomworld, this project need more impsex. If you add rule about at least one impsex per map, then more people might join.

I'll steal a texture of it a plonk it in a secret. :P

Pottus said:

It looks like an area with raw sewage, how about some brown?

I'm using the UAC Ultra textures at the moment, but I might add another set with a brown waterfall texture. I'll give it a go. :)

EDIT: BTW, who voted "No" in the poll? It'd be interesting to get some differing viewpoints on the matter.

There are a lot of maps that are very static and lack real moving parts beyond occasional doors and lifts. In fact, it seems like most maps that get made are that way, because it's easier (especially if you're detailing the map). Limiting mappers' use of tags seems like it would just encourage doing more of what already gets done by default, rather than really getting them to do anything different than they would when mapping for any other project.

I think a project where the goal is to prominently feature dynamic space (i.e. moving parts) in ways that excitingly impact the gameplay and layout progression, on the other hand, would be a really cool departure from the norm.

esselfortium said:

There are a lot of maps that are very static and lack real moving parts beyond occasional doors and lifts. In fact, it seems like most maps that get made are that way, because it's easier (especially if you're detailing the map). Limiting mappers' use of tags seems like it would just encourage doing more of what already gets done by default, rather than really getting them to do anything different than they would when mapping for any other project.

I think a project where the goal is to prominently feature dynamic space (i.e. moving parts) in ways that excitingly impact the gameplay and layout progression, on the other hand, would be a really cool departure from the norm.

How about Maps dedicated exclusively to transforming rooms/areas into something completely different?

Here's my finished map layout. Fully functional, with textures and all that stuff done too. I just need to put in monsters, weapons and the like and then I'll provide a download link for people. It's a lot more linear than the map layout might suggest.