Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant100

Doom 2 Minor Sprite Fixing Project - v2.0 Release (updated 11/28/22)

Well, I expected desaturated brown reflections on the shotgun. I can see how someone could mistake them for a flaw - the shotgun sprites are rather messy overall. But desaturated green reflection on the pistol? I think you should learn more about visual arts before attempting to correct other people's "errors".

Two more things I should mention:

1. Raw PNG images will work only in advanced source ports. Consider converting your graphics to Doom format.
2. Be careful about sprite names. There's at least one typo in your wad.

I know there is a Doom/Ultimate Doom version, but does anyone know why (for example) does ZDoom/GZDoom complain about incomplete rotations when attempting to load the Doom 2 version? It really shouldn't.

Does it only happen because it is in WAD format? Has the OP experimented using PK3 to see if this happens still so 2 versions are not needed or does it happen regardless?

Mr. Chris said:

I know there is a Doom/Ultimate Doom version, but does anyone know why (for example) does ZDoom/GZDoom complain about incomplete rotations when attempting to load the Doom 2 version? It really shouldn't.

ZDoom complains about the CPOS sprite (chaingunner's sprites), more precisely the E frame. The mod doesn't supply all of the monster's rotations for that frame (because it doesn't need to, since the Doom 2 IWAD will fill in the rest), and since the chaingunner's sprites don't exist in Doom/Ultimate Doom, then we have a case of missing rotations.

ZDoom should check if the Chaingunner is used in the chosen game, not worrying about missing rotations on sprites on an enemy that isn't used in said game.

40oz said:

It's been a while since I checked this thread, but is everything in this project strictly graphic related?

That's right, there are no gameplay alterations. The changes are strictly cosmetic.

Mr. Chris said:

Has the OP experimented using PK3 to see if this happens still so 2 versions are not needed or does it happen regardless?

You could use DeuSF to merge the missing IWAD sprites into the sprite fixes, thus allowing you to use a single WAD file for both Doom and Doom 2 IWADs (with ZDoom-compatible ports, at least). I didn't include any unmodified IWAD lumps for the sake of efficiency, hence two versions being necessary to avoid said crash.

Da Werecat said:

Well, I expected desaturated brown reflections on the shotgun. I can see how someone could mistake them for a flaw - the shotgun sprites are rather messy overall. But desaturated green reflection on the pistol? I think you should learn more about visual arts before attempting to correct other people's "errors".

Two more things I should mention:

1. Raw PNG images will work only in advanced source ports. Consider converting your graphics to Doom format.
2. Be careful about sprite names. There's at least one typo in your wad.

Thanks for the criticism man. I knew that I'd mess around with opinions about the weapons etc. but I personally think that they look better. I was watching Doom weapons with brown and green parts everywhere, and I mentioned that those were simple graphical glitches so I just add to 'em a "Grey" effect. Anyway, what did you think about the fix to the Fists and to the Chaingun? Fists have no longer grey parts and I've improved the bracelet, and to the Chaingun I've fixed the muzzle flash which had green parts on.

This mod looks really nice. It's a shame I won't be using it in Zandronum with Mr. Chris's mod as his mod doesn't currently work with that.

But the two mods together should be rather entertaining. I'll have to ZDoom it I guess.

Xeg: Load the sprite WAD before my alternate death mod and it will work.

Quaker540 said:

Fists have no longer grey parts

Seems like a harmless change. Although you forgot to fix the elbow pad, which is brown too.

and I've improved the bracelet

I didn't notice.

and to the Chaingun I've fixed the muzzle flash which had green parts on.

Well, those parts were barely noticeable, but at least it's clear that they shouldn't be there.

Unlike the small muzzle flash reflection you removed.

glitches

Look at this picture:

Does it look "glitchy" or not metal enough? Do you want to remove/desaturate orange parts?

Well, it's easy to go overboard with such stuff.
I think it's an interesting addition to the Doom universe though I partially agree with Werecat who has a keen eye for detail.

Prboom crashed while I was using this

createPatch: Unknown patch format SKELA1D1

used a PNG perhaps?

Aw nuts, you're correct. Damn, I'm not sure how that got passed. I even specifically tested PrBoom+, but I guess I didn't check a map with a Revenant in it.

I just updated the Doom 2 sprite fixes with a new download link. The single change is the conversion of the SKELA1D1 frame from PNG to Doom graphic format. I hate to do it this way, but the version number isn't incremented, so the file name is still the same.

I want to be able to use the wad with the dos doom.exe but I always get a Segmentation Fault when trying to use DeuSF. I compiled it on Linux from the sources. What could be causing that?

Mr. Chris said:

Xeg: Load the sprite WAD before my alternate death mod and it will work.

Ahh coolios, thanks!

Da Werecat said:
*Stuff*

Well, you understand me wrong :P

The only thing I did to the weapons is that I've removed those brown/green parts and converted them grey instead. With what you are saying now the only thing I can understand is that brown looks like metal, because you are not attentive enough. I think/agree that they look better, and I've no plans on changing that. I've also did something else on that, I've further removed green parts, I've fixed a few glitches I accidentally did to the weapons (With some wrong grey pixels), I've removed green parts from Man-Cubus fireball, and many other things like the skies, I had plans on uploading it, but since nobody wants it, I'll not.

One last note; I never removed any muzzle flash.

Quaker540 said:

With what you are saying now the only thing I can understand is that brown looks like metal, because you are not attentive enough.

If that's the only thing you can understand, then perhaps you're not attentive enough.

I never said that, by the way.

One last note; I never removed any muzzle flash.

Of course you didn't. You removed a reflection of the muzzle flash on one of the sprites. Pay attention.

Da Werecat said:

If that's the only thing you can understand, then perhaps you're not attentive enough.

I never said that, by the way.

Of course you didn't. You removed a reflection of the muzzle flash on one of the sprites. Pay attention.

You've obviously completely no idea what you are saying.

Da Werecat said:
desaturated green reflection on the pistol?

I never did that. You've also said that to the fixed fists;

Da Werecat said:
Seems like a harmless change.

It isn't. Look at the original pack for a minute. Can you easily see how fists are "broken"? Not to mention that the original Doom's fists were cleaner and better rather than this "new" ones.

Da Werecat said:
Unlike the small muzzle flash reflection you removed.

I never removed any muzzle flash reflection, is just you. I've only fixed green pixels.

Da Werecat said:
Does it look "glitchy" or not metal enough? Do you want to remove/desaturate orange parts?

Man what are you asking? Of course it looks metal, and because you keep saying that if I "desaturate" orange parts it will not look metal enough, I did a quick edit over here;

http://postimg.org/image/rdw45z41p/

You are sure that you still want to complain about those "desaturate" effects?

Quaker540: I would be interested in having a look at the fixes you mentioned.

Quaker540 said:

You've obviously completely no idea what you are saying.

I'm going to apologize to Revenant100 in advance for thread derailing, but it's hard to resist the urge to see whether colorful illustrations will help me to communicate with this Quaker540 person.

Da Werecat said:

But desaturated green reflection on the pistol?

Quaker540 said:

I never did that.

Actually, you did.

Da Werecat said:

Seems like a harmless change.

Quaker540 said:

It isn't.

For a moment I thought that you're shitting on your own mod. "Harmless" means that this particular change is not for the worse. I didn't say it's useless.

Not to mention that the original Doom's fists were cleaner and better rather than this "new" ones.

Are you comparing the stock sprites with Minor Sprite Fixing Project's ones? The stock ones are just cut off at the bottom => the quantity of out-of-place grey pixels is understandably lower.

I never removed any muzzle flash reflection, is just you.

It's not just me.

you keep saying that if I "desaturate" orange parts it will not look metal enough

No, I don't. The point of posting that picture was to introduce you to the wonderful world of intentionally colored reflections.

P.S. Haha, you made his eye grey too.

You are sure that you still want to complain about those "desaturate" effects?

You can butcher any game in any way you want. But if you're going to upload the results for everyone to see, don't be surprised to hear something other than compliments.

I'm curious to hear, is the empty pixel in the center of POSSH0 a glitch or was it intentionally used to simulate getting blasted through?

P.S. Trooper said:

I'm curious to hear, is the empty pixel in the center of POSSH0 a glitch or was it intentionally used to simulate getting blasted through?

It's difficult to say for sure. The Zombieman sprites do exhibit a couple of transparent pixels that do not exist in Shotgun Guy's. A few other detail differences indicate the Shotgun Guy sprites were done later, hence potentially being more refined and accurate. However, the Shotgun Guy's initial death frame does erase much of his jaw implying it has been completely blown off, so it's not a stretch to consider that perhaps the transparent pixel in the Zombieman's initial death frame is similarly meant to portray extreme perforation. POSSH0 also possesses some gushing blood under the left arm which is absent in SPOSH0, possibly implying additional gore flying out from the more violent gut wound (although the Shotgun Guy's death frames ultimately end with more blood).

While I can't find a precedent in any other death animation where a single transparent pixel is used to suggest a clear exit wound, I'd opt to leave this particular frame alone since it's just on the cusp being considered an error.

I know this isn't much but is it possible to make the pistol with the original left hand in the cropped position as an alternative?

That zombie hole looks like another case of a pink pixel being the wrong shade of pink (index 255 was used as a transparent color at some point, at least I heard it was). An intentional hole would be in the middle of the wound.

There's another suspicious transparent pixel right under the eyebrow, but it's hard to be sure about that one.

Revenant100;

When can we expect a new version? I've actually cleaned up Doom 1's skies (Which they had a few crazy pixels here and there), and if you are interested, I've dropped a link just in case;

https://www.mediafire.com/?gz9a0rdhmc9zdci

Da Werecat said:

P.S. Haha, you made his eye grey too.

I know that :P It was a quick edit.

---

What you are doing now is entirely immature. I got your point when you said it the first five times. There's no need to attempt to rub it in my face. Calm down. Please give suggestions CONSTRUCTIVELY, and let them grow. It's just the beginning, and changes can always be made.

Da Werecat said:don't be surprised to hear something other than compliments.

For over 2 months with my last Sub-Mod I did I'm getting only aggressive feedback which I got used to it :) I already know that, by the way.

Da Werecat said:
Shitting on you own mod

Shitting on what?

Quaker540 said:

What you are doing now is entirely immature.

Cute, you're playing the "behave yourself" card.

I got your point when you said it the first five times.

So that's why you denied everything I said, accusing me in being inattentive. It makes perfect sense now.

For over 2 months with my last Sub-Mod I did I'm getting only aggressive feedback which I got used to it :)

I got a different impression, but whatever.

Shitting on what?

On your own mod.

Da Werecat said:
On your own mod.

I don't have any mod (Yet). I'm too lazy to do one so I'm messing around with Sub-Mods :)

Still, I don't know how you've thought that. If what you are trying to say is "Add-On" or "Sub-Mod", then OK.

Shit, we're late to the 1.4 update party here... Gonna add the new version to TNS servers starting next Thursday. Very nice work here guys.

Revenant100 said:

Lost Soul Stuff

So why does the fixed version look worse in nearly every way? The fire is the biggest issue as it looks a lot more janky and jagged in the after shot but the level of polish and shape is also down in the after version.

The reasoning: the fire's level of crappiness matches that of the other frames and rotations. Therefore, it's the intended look, no doubt.