Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant100

Doom 2 Minor Sprite Fixing Project - v2.0 Release (updated 11/28/22)

I wonder if there are any other menu graphics with errors in them? Nice catch on HNTR, I never noticed before!

Will the new update change any sprite dimensions? Asking in case any edits to my brightmaps pack should be required (hopefully not).

10 hours ago, NightFright said:

Will the new update change any sprite dimensions? Asking in case any edits to my brightmaps pack should be required (hopefully not).

In v1.9, the dimensions of the following sprites changed:

CHGFA0
CHGFB0
MISFA0 (also slight art modification)
MISFB0
MISFC0
SHTFA0
SHTFB0
SHT2I0
SHT2J0
BFGFA0
BFGFB0

These are all muzzle flash flames, so your brightmaps pack is affected by all of these. The modified dimensions of these sprites which can be seen in the current v1.9 Beta 1 test aren't planned to be changed for the upcoming final release.

8 hours ago, Angry_Cat said:

Dunno if it's just to resolve a bug in the original code or something, but I've noticed that M_THERMO has a row of pixels to the right that seems to be the middle of M_THERMM, It's not seen in the game, though, so, just a thought?

The column (I think you meant that rather than row) of grey pixels on the right of M_THERMO is likely intended to be a shadow to give some depth to the moving slider. I'm not sure what you mean by "it's not seen in the game," unless you're referring to source ports like GZDoom which use different graphics for the option sliders.

2 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

The column (I think you meant that rather than row) of grey pixels on the right of M_THERMO is likely intended to be a shadow to give some depth to the moving slider. I'm not sure what you mean by "it's not seen in the game," unless you're referring to source ports like GZDoom which use different graphics for the option sliders.

Ohhh, right.

I never pay attention to the little things.

Brightmaps for spritefixes v1.9 have been updated and can be downloaded here:

GZDoom brightmaps v1.41 for spritefixes v1.9 (PK3 / 4.4 MB)

Refresh download link for spritefixes v1.8 (since it seems that previous link didn't work any more):

GZDoom brightmaps v1.31 for spritefixes v1.8 (PK3 / 4.4 MB)

*Update Oct 27, 2017*
I noticed a glitch with the texture brightmap for SW2STARG in Doom and Doom II. Basically the definitions were switched which means you got a brightmap in Doom where there shouldn't be any, while missing one in Doom II. This has been corrected, new downloads are available.

Edited by NightFright

Aloha, compadres! I didn't really mean to plan it this way, but the end of this month will mark five years since this project's first release, so that's as good a date as any to release the final v1.9.

However, I've been using this additional time to reevaluate some previous matters, and that resulted in a few extra fixes. The largest change is an age old issue that, as small as it is, has become increasingly glaring over the years in the face of everything around it being addressed: the Demon's orange leg ridges suddenly disappearing and incorrect toe brightness in its attack and pain frames. The constitutes some original art edits, but as it's such an egregious error, it warranted appropriate action.

Since there's still time, and this is ostensibly a relatively large change, I'm releasing a Beta 2 release in the mean time for the purposes of early feedback.

• v1.9 Beta 2 test version may be downloaded in the main post or here: (Outdated, see original post)

The current v1.9 changelog may be viewed here: (Outdated, see original post)

As before, all other releases have been already updated to include these changes, making them fully up-to-date as of now.

Trimmed summary of the 1.9 changes for both Beta 1 and the new Beta 2:

v1.9 Beta 1 (7/13/17)
General
- [1.9] Removed IWAD header to fix some source port compatibility issues.

First Person Weapon Sprites
- [1.9] Super Shotgun: Updated widescreen sprite. By Blastfrog.
- [1.9] Chaingun: Removed extraneous pixel in muzzle flash firing frame.
- [1.9] Rocket Launcher: Updated firing frame sprite. By Blastfrog.
- [1.9] Added sprite padding to Shotgun, Super Shotgun, Chaingun, Rocket Launcher, and BFG muzzle flash firing frames to fix horizontal jittering in high resolution source ports.

v1.9 Beta 2 (11/14/17)
Demon
- [1.9] Removed leftover pixel in pain frame.
- [1.9] Adjusted brightness of toes in attacking and pain frames to match walking and death frames.
- [1.9] Added orange leg ridges in attacking and pain frames to match walking and death frames.

Spider Mastermind
- [1.9] Removed purple pixels in 3 frames.

Other Things
- [1.9] Fixed cropped comma in Hey, not too rough! difficulty text. By LemonWolf3322.

- [1.9] Chainsaw: Removed purple pixels in 2 frames.

Finally, here's a preview of the Demon changes:
xJS9mf9.gif

Edited by Revenant100

Great! Since you apparently did not change any sprite alignments this time, I assume my brightmap adjustments for beta 1 are still valid?

Either way, I'd really appreciate it if you could upload the brightmaps file somewhere other than Dropbox, since that's now demanding you sign up before you can download anything.

You don't have the "no thanks, continue with my download" button at the bottom of the "hey, you, just register already" popup box?

Actually, I had posted the file preview links which indeed require prior registration. Both links have now been corrected and should work fine for unregistered users. Thanks for the hint!

Nice that you got the pinky's inconsistencies sorted out! Your edit looks a lot better than my sloppy attempt at the same thing.

Thanks, NightFright. It was only yesterday I discovered I had mismatched versions of the sprite fixes and brightmaps, but now that they're both up to date I'm not seeing any problems, unless I missed something.

14 hours ago, NightFright said:

Since you apparently did not change any sprite alignments this time, I assume my brightmap adjustments for beta 1 are still valid?

That is correct. No sprite alignments or dimensions were changed in this revision.

Great work on the mod!  I just installed it today, and it makes a big improvement.

I've noticed a small issue though: it seems not to want to play nicely with GZDoom's built-in Lights.pk3.  My apologies if someone has already asked about this, but I couldn't see anything.

The issue is that the dynamic light usually attached to an actor (in this example, the short green torch) disappears when the animation flicks around to the edited frame (i.e. the staff loses its green hue for a single frame)

giphy.gif

I'm guessing I'm just loading the wads in the wrong order or something.  Anyone able to advise how to fix this?  I'm using GZDoom 3.2.4.

The blinking in that frame isn't being caused by GZDoom's provided lights.pk3 but rather its brightmaps.pk3, which is to be expected as the sprite fixes override the original brightmap frames. Almost all of GZDoom's native brightmap frames are incompatible with the sprite fixes, actually.

Aside from manually adjusting the original brightmaps.pk3, a way to address this issue would be to disable the auto loading of GZDoom's own brightmaps.pk3 and download NightFright's updated sprite fix-compatible brightmaps instead.

Just a heads up, though, NightFright's brightmaps deviate from GZDoom's default brightmaps, adding more lights to things like wall and floor textures and new effects like glowing demon eyes. If that's undesirable, then there's not a great solution to the problem at the moment apart from turning off GZDoom's original brightmaps entirely (which, to reiterate, they already almost are due to being largely overridden by the sprite fixes).

Ahoy there, Doomies! I'm here to say that the final v1.9 has been released and is now available on idgames. All other PWAD compatibility patches have also been appropriately updated to v1.9 in the original post. It's been over half a decade since this project began. Will we still be here to finish out the full decade? Who knows!

Here's a trimmed down summary of all of the 1.9 changes:

Spoiler

v1.9 (11/29/17)

General
- [1.9] Removed IWAD header to fix some source port compatibility issues.

Zombieman
- [1.9] Fixed leftover Shotgun Guy parts in gibbing frames.

Imp
- [1.9] Fixed leftover Zombieman parts in gibbing frames.
- [1.9] Adjusted sprite offsets during gibbing frames.

Demon
- [1.9] Removed leftover pixel in pain frame.
- [1.9] Adjusted brightness of toes in attacking and pain frames to match walking and death frames.
- [1.9] Added orange leg ridges in attacking and pain frames to match walking and death frames.

Spider Mastermind
- [1.9] Removed purple pixels in 3 frames.

Other Things
- [1.9] Fixed cropped comma in Hey, not too rough! difficulty text. By LemonWolf3322.

- [1.9] Super Shotgun: Updated widescreen sprite. By Blastfrog.
- [1.9] Chaingun: Removed extraneous pixel in muzzle flash firing frame.
- [1.9] Rocket Launcher: Updated firing frame sprite. By Blastfrog.
- [1.9] Added sprite padding to Shotgun, Super Shotgun, Chaingun, Rocket Launcher, and BFG muzzle flash firing frames to fix horizontal jittering in high resolution source ports.
- [1.9] Chainsaw: Removed purple pixels in 2 frames.

And to reiterate, preview images of some of the new changes:

Spoiler

xJS9mf9.gif

4865M2d.gif

qq3fjKh.gif

While I feel as if this belongs in the Heretic Sprite Fixing thread due to the game itself, this is the more active thread, and therefore will have more people possibly willing to join in.

I've been messing with the idea of a Hexen Sprite Fixing Project, and since there's no active thread for one (to my knowledge) I have come here to ask if you would be interested in starting one. I made some quick adjustments after a quick perusing through the sprites. Main offenders include stray pixels, missing pixels, and jittery offsets in the player and monster sprites, along with an issue concerning the Heresiarch's tail, the same issue that plagued the Sabreclaw from Heretic.

Here's the Fighter's gibbing death, where the final frame no longer shifts slightly to the right:

Spoiler

original.gif.79f17441fa8d07987d9019939236da28.giffixed.gif.cc8158bc0682c632055d96678833082b.gif

Here's the front-facing pain sprite, the original has open spaces above the right hand:

Spoiler

PLAYG1.png.d6c3dec523e337aa852e80de7595126b.png2PLAYG1.png.afaa0e4507ad8de1d18b2f47de2aa19b.png

The first frame of the fire death, which reuses the normal pain sprite, meaning it keeps the pixel error, and adds in another in the form of a random blue pixel in the bottom right of the center flame:

Spoiler

FDTHA0.png.e01f05e83ed4de78f7ab4a1806cd3007.png2FDTHA0.png.c84692ca12a40bedd921ab0ebad24770.png

The second fire death frame, again keeping the same errors as the previous two:

Spoiler

FDTHB0.png.156d89cd8acb2f9a2ac691130b65dea3.png2FDTHB0.png.9e97597dcdf137d6e08b6180745b511d.png

These were just quick touch-ups. There are many more errors, such as the aforementioned Heresiarch tail bits, stray pixels in one of the Stalker's frames, and possibly more that I don't know exist.

What are your thoughts?

EDIT: Looking at it again, the "missing pixels" in the pain sprites may just be the space between Baratus' hand and pauldron. But I'm certain the errant blue pixel in the fire isn't intended. Anyway, here's the stray pixel in the Stalker frame. It could just be a splash of water, but looking at all of the other "rising" frames shows that this black thing only appears here.

Spoiler

SSPTB0.png.345759f99a9002c01dc05e13f7e75a78.png2SSPTB0.png.fc62ec9b4905209c8cdcd624113cf1c4.png

Edited by deluxe : Mistake

20 hours ago, DELUXE said:

I've been messing with the idea of a Hexen Sprite Fixing Project, and since there's no active thread for one (to my knowledge) I have come here to ask if you would be interested in starting one.

There will indeed be a Hexen Sprite Fixing Project. It's been mentioned a few times before in this thread, and the previous circumstance was that it was the last priority of the three games due to being the largest endeavor (more than Doom 2 and Heretic combined) that requires the most amount of new and original assets (all of the widescreen weapon sprites). It is still happening very slowly in the background, and when it comes time to ask for community assistance, which is almost an assurance given the amount and complexity of the original widescreen weapon art required, I'll make a dedicated thread for it.

I made some quick adjustments after a quick perusing through the sprites. Main offenders include stray pixels, missing pixels, and jittery offsets in the player and monster sprites, along with an issue concerning the Heresiarch's tail, the same issue that plagued the Sabreclaw from Heretic.

Just to summarize your sentiment before going into the specifics, I most certainly appreciate any additional examinations and suggestions of what to do with the sprites. I'm least familiar with Hexen, so the more experienced eyes going over its art, the more refined the end result can be.

Here's the Fighter's gibbing death, where the final frame no longer shifts slightly to the right:

Reveal hidden contents

original.gif.79f17441fa8d07987d9019939236da28.giffixed.gif.cc8158bc0682c632055d96678833082b.gif

Yes, the straightforward and evident sprite shifting such as this is a prime candidate of things to adjust. This will be a part of a larger offset examination to make sure certain sprites aren't floating well off the ground, aren't embedded deep within the ground, and so forth.

EDIT: Looking at it again, the "missing pixels" in the pain sprites may just be the space between Baratus' hand and pauldron. But I'm certain the errant blue pixel in the fire isn't intended.

Since most of Heretic's and Hexen's characters are based on 3D model renders, I do believe there's a good chance the two empty pixels here are true gaps in the model between Baratus' pauldron and his hand. However, the blue pixel in the fire is almost certainly an error. Comparing the equivalent fire frames on Daedolon and Parias, it looks like it was accidentally copied over from Parias' sprite as it has a perfectly matching blue index color pixel in the same position.

Anyway, here's the stray pixel in the Stalker frame. It could just be a splash of water, but looking at all of the other "rising" frames shows that this black thing only appears here.

Reveal hidden contents

SSPTB0.png.345759f99a9002c01dc05e13f7e75a78.png2SSPTB0.png.fc62ec9b4905209c8cdcd624113cf1c4.png

Judging from the used color index range for the Stalker's water, the splashes and drips are only colored using the desaturated green range, while the black range is only used for the  creature's darkest shading, so that little disconnected black strip is indeed likely an error as well.

27 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

Response

Thank you for looking over the post. Apologies for not noticing what was already said about the project, I see it now. I've been looking through the WAD for other offset errors since my first attempt, and the biggest worries to me are the offsets of the "Frozen" death frames for the various monsters, mostly when compared to their normal deaths. However, I won't be doing any major changes, as I'm not entirely confident that these are errors, and since the priority is low compared to the other games, I'll wait until the project truly takes off to make any suggestions.

As for the widescreen HUD and weapon sprites, I've come across a few in the last year, chiefly this "WideID," but there were some arguments over how accurate they were, especially considering the Spiked Gauntlets.

I'm glad to know that the project has already been considered.

WideID.zip

Since you fixed some menu graphics... I noticed M_NMARE have some wierd brown pixels that look like they don't belong there.

So i sugest a fix like this one:

M_NMARE.png.d315917e30ef70795ac3be5a0a821b96.png

Feel free to use it, if you see fit.

And while i'm here... Thank you for your patches!

11 hours ago, JCST said:

Since you fixed some menu graphics... I noticed M_NMARE have some wierd brown pixels that look like they don't belong there.

So i sugest a fix like this one:

M_NMARE.png.d315917e30ef70795ac3be5a0a821b96.png

Feel free to use it, if you see fit.

Thanks, that's a good catch. A look at the other menu text graphics does indicate the pixels you outlined are indeed aberrations.

I'll certainly incorporate the fix into the next version. but it's unfortunately too late to slip this into the current 1.9 release. At this point, I'd say the 2.0 release is still going to be quite a ways off.

I'll also point out here that, with Mayhem 2017 having recently become finalized, the associated sprite fix wad has also been updated and released in the OP.

Edited by Revenant100

@DELUXE I'm also interested of the Hexen Sprite fixing project as I've expressed before. The fixed sprites you posted seem good but they seem to be enlarged so I can't seem to use them ingame. Do you have the ones in their original dimension? 

@Revenant100 regarding The nightmare! dilemma. Wouldn't it work to Do smaller releases more often in situations like this? 1.9.1 or even 1.9b or thelike. 

The final v1.9 of the fixes doesn't contain anything that would affect brightmaps compared to the last beta version I still got from November last year, right?

10 hours ago, Cire said:

regarding The nightmare! dilemma. Wouldn't it work to Do smaller releases more often in situations like this? 1.9.1 or even 1.9b or thelike.

As there are now eight versions of the project to maintain with a inevitable certainty of more to come in the future, it'd be very time consuming to continually release smaller incremental updates (although, realistically, I don't imagine there being a deluge of changes to occur in the near future). I also don't believe this is really the type of WAD that people frequently check and update on a regular basis. As has been the case over the past years, the possibility for new fixes and tweaks comes simply with more time, so it pays to sit back and be patient to let them amass. The question is not if there'll be a next version but when, although it's fair to say that "when" is still very much far down the line.

3 hours ago, NightFright said:

The final v1.9 of the fixes doesn't contain anything that would affect brightmaps compared to the last beta version I still got from November last year, right?

That is correct; everything in your latest 1.41 version brightmaps is still compatible with the final release.

@Cire Yes. I resized them in paint.net, but I forgot the exact percentage, either 400 or 500%. I have the raw originals on my main computer, and I'll upload them if you want.

@Revenant100 Oh yeah, sure thing. It was just a friendly suggestion :)

@DELUXE Yes please, that would be useful. I tried to downsize them in MS Paint myself but comparing the pixel size with the original Hexen counterparts but didn't really got desirable result. So it would sure make things easier for me :)