Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant100

Doom 2 Minor Sprite Fixing Project - v1.9 Release (updated 1/27/18)

4 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

Good rule of thumb, but still very subjective. How about monster eyes, for instance?

Of course, every Brightmap is subjective because they didn't exist in the original game. 

Without derailing this thread (we should take it elsewhere if we want to continue discussing) I do disagree with your assessment of glowing eyes being the original design.

Any amount of glow would deviate from the original gameplay experience, so while by all means use glowing eyes if you want to, we'd be getting into the territory of trying to live up to supposed artistic visions rather than maintaining the original gameplay.

7 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

Good rule of thumb, but still very subjective. How about monster eyes, for instance? I've always assumed them to be glowing; Doom 3 does (which yeah it's not classic Doom but id still consisted of many of the same key folks at that time, in a sense it's more Doom than 2016, just (de)emphasized the opposite aspects (horror/action)).

Members of the Doom team who worked on Doom 3:

John Carmack

Adrian Carmack

Kevin Cloud

Members of the Doom team who didn't:

Shawn C. Green

Dave D. Taylor

Tom Hall
American McGee

Sandy Petersen

Bobby Prince

John Romero

To be clear, in case it's not obvious, I don't think 3 counts as "many of the key folks", although I massively respect their contributions. It's also amusing that ⅔ of them did it under duress.

Another interesting fact: ⅔ of the Doom-and-Doom-3 contributors also worked on Doom 2016 (John Carmack confirmed doing some of snapmap, Kevin Cloud)

22 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

Good rule of thumb, but still very subjective. How about monster eyes, for instance? I've always assumed them to be glowing; Doom 3 does (which yeah it's not classic Doom but id still consisted of many of the same key folks at that time, in a sense it's more Doom than 2016, just (de)emphasized the opposite aspects (horror/action)).

Pinky had bright yellow eyes, possessed and imps had bright red. It also fits with the high contrast, scary stuff coming at you from the dark thing they were going for. Doom's aesthetic was heavily based on seeing highlights in the increasingly-dark distance, I'd think the eyes were supposed to glow in the dark if they bothered to go to that level of effort back then.

Granted, if they are given brightmap highlights, they should probably be more subtle than not in order to avoid changing the original experience too heavily. Just a hint of emphasis on the apparent intent, not an overhaul.

The glowing eyes are definitely cool, but I don't believe id ever wanted the Doom/Doom II monsters' eyes to glow. Why do I say this? Because it's rather trivially possible to do in vanilla, with no performance loss. If they had wanted it, they probably would have done it.

I always liked how the Pig Cop's eyes glowed in the dark in Duke 3D and having eye brightmaps in Doom satisfies this.

It's going to remain a controverse discussion. To glow or not to glow, that's the question! 

Anyway, my edition will always have them. Maybe it's not "vanilla", but it looks cool, at least if you ask me. If you don't like it, feel free to change it for yourself, that's quite alright. Everybody is going to be happy!

6 hours ago, NightFright said:

It's going to remain a controverse discussion. To glow or not to glow, that's the question! 

Anyway, my edition will always have them. Maybe it's not "vanilla", but it looks cool, at least if you ask me. If you don't like it, feel free to change it for yourself, that's quite alright. Everybody is going to be happy!

I do like the effect, especially when the badguys are up ahead, in a dark hallway, and all you can see are the eyes! Seems like just about any change becomes controversial, doesn't it?

Posted (edited)

I am releasing a new version of the spritefix brightmaps today. Main focus was on optimization, nothing ground-breaking new. The pack is a lot smaller now and some of the powerups look nicer (e.g. only the eyes of the Mega-/Soul-/Invulnerability Spheres are highlighted instead of the whole item). A few brightmaps I removed because they were kinda unnecessary and made the sprites look too bright.

Brightmaps Plus v1.51 (2.1 MB)

CHANGELOG v1.51:

[GENERAL] PNG compression applied to all brightmaps (file size reduced by 50%)
[DOOM] Improved: Armor Bonus (BON2B/C), Evil Eye (CEYE), Powerup spheres (MEGA/PINS/PINV/SOUL), Computer Area Map (PMAPA/B), Light Amp Visor (PVISB)
[DOOM] Removed: Armors (ARM1/ARM2), Health Bonus (BON1), Keycards (BKEY/RKEY/YKEY), Skull Keys (BSKU/RSKU/YSKU)

[Ah, yeah, before I forget: The file is now called "brightmaps_plus.pk3" instead of "gzd_brightmapsXXX.pk3" which I think is a bit more convenient.]

Prepare for another bigger update of the pack next Monday (April 8).

Edited by NightFright

Posted (edited)

Hopefully this will be the last update (unless new spritefixes require more adjustments). I have finally removed colors from Doom and Heretic brightmaps which caused overbright colors until now. This makes sprites look more authentic and brightmaps effects also more subtle in many cases. I also compared all existing brightmaps with those from GZDoom's brightmaps.pk3, always choosing the best version. This should be the best-looking brightmaps pack yet!

Brightmaps Plus v1.6 (2.1 MB)

CHANGELOG v1.6:

[DOOM/HERETIC] All colored brightmaps converted to greyscale graphics to preserve original sprite colors
[DOOM] Imported better brightmaps from brightmaps.pk3 for:
- Archvile (all 80 available frames)
- Burning barrel (FCAN)
- Chaingunner firing (CPOS E/F)
- Cyberdemon firing/exploding (CYBR F/J-O)
- Player firing (PLAY F)
- Sergeant firing (SPOS E/F)
- Spider Mastermind exploding (SPID M-R)
- Zombie firing (POSS E/F)
[DOOM] Improved brightmaps for Cacodemon (HEAD)
[DOOM] New brightmaps for Health Bonus (BON1)

Edited by NightFright