Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant100

Doom 2 Minor Sprite Fixing Project - v2.0 Release (updated 11/28/22)

I have a pretty stupid idea, but what about wolfenstein 3d sprite fixing project?
i can think of like 2 broken things in it like the starting screen having missaligned textures
unknown.png

or the face that the player makes when they pick up the chaingun being completely full of black residue around the face

image.png

I love the author's work on this but I just can't let the lost souls thing go. For anyone that wants it, this is the variant that I use. It's basically just DSPFX 1.9 with the front facing lost souls sprites replaced. It's a mish mash of lost soul sprites that gives you the 1.666+ front facing graphics with the lighting effect but with offset fixes. It might not be faithful to an imaginary vision of what was "intended" that's based on absolutely nothing, but it sure as shit looks a lot better.

Doom Minor Sprite Fixing Found Soul Edition

I don't see the big deal with the lost souls thing. I looked at it in game and it definitely looks way more natural.

Hi there, the D2SPFX19.wad seems to have a sky texture (if i´m not wrong the name should be RSKY2) that replaces the one used for Sunder maps 11-19.

doom10.png

8 minutes ago, LincolnPark96 said:

Hi there, the D2SPFX19.wad seems to have a sky texture (if i´m not wrong the name should be RSKY2) that replaces the one used for Sunder maps 11-19.

doom10.png

The sprite fix WAD must be loaded with the lowest priority, or before any additional PWADs. In this case, your launch parameters while running Sunder should look something like this:

prboom-plus.exe -file D2SPFX19.WAD "Sunder 2308.wad"

Alternatively, adding D2SPFX19.WAD to your source port of choice's autoload feature ensures it's loaded before any additional PWADs. If you're just dragging multiple WADs onto your source port, the order in which they're loaded is not guaranteed.

joEwq6O.png

Ahh, I thought the sprite fix with the pwads had to have high priority, for some reason.

By the way, the .deh file needs to be loaded as well (in the case of prboom-plus) or is wad more than enough?

On 1/3/2021 at 5:49 PM, dmslr said:

Load D2SPFX.wad before the pwad:

DOOM2.wad > D2SPFX.wad > vanguard.wad

If you play a wad for which the project has a compatibility patch, load the patch after the wad:

DOOM2.wad > aaliens.wad > D2SPFX-aaliens.wad

On 1/3/2021 at 7:42 PM, Doomkid said:

I'm guessing this is because the file loaded last in Doom will overwrite all that comes before it, assuming it and a previously loaded wad both replace the same asset, so this could be interpreted as the file you load first having the lowest priority. (Just putting this out there for clarification)

38 minutes ago, LincolnPark96 said:

By the way, the .deh file needs to be loaded as well (in the case of prboom-plus) or is wad more than enough?

You must load .deh files with only DOSBox or chocolate doom as far as I know.

40 minutes ago, LincolnPark96 said:

As it is intended to be optional, the DeHackEd patch must still be loaded manually even if you load the base sprite fix WAD. The DEH patch is not included within the WAD itself.

5 minutes ago, LincolnPark96 said:

I understand now. I had the wrong idea of how to use it.
Thank you both, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Feel free to ask questions if you can't solve a problem yourself. People will be glad to help you.

Well, I just made a rather interesting discovery.  After enjoying decino's second stream of Sunder on YouTube over the weekend, I loaded up Map 15 and was confused when I saw the traditional DOOM II city skybox rather than the flaming sky I remembered on the stream.  I checked on which files I was including in dsda-doom when loading it, and it appears that somehow, the general minor sprite-fix WAD (D2SPFX19.WAD) somehow prevents the custom skyboxes from being loaded.  I've posted about this in the Sunder thread as well in case there's something I_G can do on his end to address it, but it would appear this is another PWAD that needs a custom version of the sprite-fix WAD.

15 minutes ago, Bytefyre said:

After enjoying decino's second stream of Sunder on YouTube over the weekend, I loaded up Map 15 and was confused when I saw the traditional DOOM II city skybox rather than the flaming sky I remembered on the stream.

This is not a problem with the sprite fixes nor is there anything here for Insane_Gazebo to address. As mentioned just above in the previous few posts of this thread, the sprite fix WAD must be loaded with the lowest priority, or before any additional PWADs. In this case, your launch parameters while running Sunder should look something like this:

dsda-doom.exe -file D2SPFX19.WAD "Sunder 2308.wad"

If you regularly use the sprite fixes, I again highly recommend adding D2SPFX19.WAD to your source port of choice's autoload feature to ensure it's loaded before any additional PWADs. In both PrBoom+ and dsda-doom, this setting can be found under "Options/General/Files Preloaded at Game Startup".

40 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

If you regularly use the sprite fixes, I again highly recommend adding D2SPFX19.WAD to your source port of choice's autoload feature to ensure it's loaded before any additional PWADs. In both PrBoom+ and dsda-doom, this setting can be found under "Options/General/Files Preloaded at Game Startup".

Sometimes, when the mod loaded before a pwad, it will break some weapons' centered position. I need to check which DBP with custom weapon sprites had this problem. I'll report the issue properly later.

So, it seems like pwads that change the offsets of the main weapon sprites but not the flash ones will break the weapon's appearance.

The screenshots from DBP08.

IMG_20210324_221254_854.png

IMG_20210324_221253_858.png

Edited by dmslr

2 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

This is not a problem with the sprite fixes nor is there anything here for Insane_Gazebo to address. As mentioned just above in the previous few posts of this thread, the sprite fix WAD must be loaded with the lowest priority, or before any additional PWADs. In this case, your launch parameters while running Sunder should look something like this:

dsda-doom.exe -file D2SPFX19.WAD "Sunder 2308.wad"

Oh, I see.  I didn't mean any offense with what I observed; I guess I had taken the wrong impression about the load order based on what I'd read for the special version made for BtSX.  Thanks for clearing this up!

16 hours ago, dmslr said:

So, it's seems like pwads that change the offsets of the main weapon sprites but not the flash ones will break the weapon's appearance.

This issue is due to an extremely uncommon edge case involving the weapon sprites. The sprite fixes include an adjustment to properly center most of the first person weapons graphics, and this entails adjusting the offsets in both the weapon sprites and the separate muzzle flash sprites. As far as compatibility with other PWADs that include their own custom weapons graphics goes, the sprite fixes work fine here a vast majority of the time as custom weapon replacements typically replace both the weapon sprites and the associated muzzle flash sprites.

The rare issue that arises with this particular fix is that some PWADs with custom weapons graphics don't replace all of a weapon's sprites. They only replace the weapon graphics, not the muzzle flashes, usually due to the custom graphics only intending to change the color of Doomguy's gloves. Because only half of the elements that make up a weapon are being over overridden by the PWAD, the sprite fixes' centered muzzle flash offsets visibly conflict with the PWAD's non-centered weapon sprite offsets.

There is nothing I can do from the side of the sprite fixes to avoid this conflict short of not including the centered weapon sprites to begin with, something I won't be doing as this is as purely objective of a fix as can be. From the end user's perspective, what you can do for your own sake is to modify the PWAD itself, either to center the custom weapon sprites yourself (easy, but takes a few seconds of work) or simply paste in a redundant set of Doom 2's unaltered muzzle flash sprites to fully override the sprite fixes (trivial, just copy and paste directly from the IWAD).

Ideally, mappers including custom weapon graphics in their WADs could simply center their custom graphics on their own, as this would be an exceedingly trivial and foolproof change that benefits everyone (because who actually likes offcentered weapons?). The Full Modder's Resource WAD is available in the OP specifically for mod authors expressly for this kind of purpose, and it would genuinely take seconds to commit this fix on their end. All I can do myself is to encourage modders to follow this practice, however.

I should add, loading the sprite fixes after the PWADs is not a solution here. This type of use will only result in the unintended and incomplete overriding of the custom graphics in other WADs. Unless you're using a compatibility patch, the sprite fixes must be loaded before any other PWADs to avoid inevitable visual errors.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this fix does not address the issue with the firing arachnotron and cyberdemon.

The arachnotron fires its bolt from its left eye and the cyberdemon fires its rocket from its "stomach" level.

IOW the offsets are wrong.

1 hour ago, hawkwind said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this fix does not address the issue with the firing arachnotron and cyberdemon.

The arachnotron fires its bolt from its left eye and the cyberdemon fires its rocket from its "stomach" level.

IOW the offsets are wrong.

It's not a sprite thing, it's in the code.

I have to disagree. I managed to fix these myself. Worked great with the arachnotron but not so much with the cyber.

I can get the cyber to look right, but it can render into walls when firing. Works with choco doom. I can supply the arachnotron fix on request.

Also could the chaingunner CPOSE* be non-firing, since it relates to A_Facetarget ?

Edited by hawkwind

2 hours ago, hawkwind said:

Also could the chaingunner CPOSE* be non-firing, since it relates to A_Facetarget ?

It's also used for the first firing frame, so no. You'd have to add an additional subsprite and edit it in DEHACKED.

Couple of quick questions regarding this mod:

1) is the latest version the one available in the OP (version 1.9)

2) here in my .bat file should I place this mod? 

example:

prboom-plus.exe -D2SPFX19.WAD -deh D2DEHFIX.DEH -file Eviternity.wad -complevel 9 

Thanks in advance!

10 minutes ago, nobleflame said:

example:

prboom-plus.exe -D2SPFX19.WAD -deh D2DEHFIX.DEH -file Eviternity.wad -complevel 9 

Thanks in advance!

not awnsering your question but eviternity uses complevel 11 (mbf compatible)

39 minutes ago, nobleflame said:

example:

Thanks in advance!

You can't load wads like that, they all have to go after -file. Also, yeah, Eviternity is -complevel 11. Use this:

prboom-plus.exe -file D2SPFX19.WAD Eviternity.wad -deh D2DEHFIX.DEH -complevel 11

Edited by maxmanium

@maxmanium you forgot to change the complevel value. Or did you intentionally keep the original one so as to demonstrate only the relevant changes? Just wondering.

7 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

@maxmanium you forgot to change the complevel value. Or did you intentionally keep the original one so as to demonstrate only the relevant changes? Just wondering.

Ope, fixed.

38 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

not awnsering your question but eviternity uses complevel 11 (mbf compatible)

25 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

You can't load wads like that, they all have to go after -file. Also, yeah, Eviternity is -complevel 11. Use this:

prboom-plus.exe -file D2SPFX19.WAD Eviternity.wad -deh D2DEHFIX.DEH -complevel 11

Thanks both. All sorted now.