Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Supplice - Out now on Steam!

And I'm pretty sure no one wants to a play a megawad full of 2-hour long maps.

Admittedly depends on whether the maps are enjoyable or not, but you'd be surprised.

Thanks again for all the positive comments guy :). Kyka, actually I'm planning on finishing Vela Pax first. Unless I get really sick of working on it, in which case I'll move back to Supplice. That is a very likely possibility :P

Avoozl said:

It's a shame you dropped the idea of making it on the Kex engine.

I will eventually make some Doom 64 maps at some point, just because I love that game to death. While planning this project though, the KEX engine didn't have nearly as many nice editing capabilities that it does now (the biggest being DB64). We weren't sure how long it was going to take for Kaiser to work in the features we would have needed at the time, so I just opted to stick with Boom. There's also the fact that some of the Doom II monsters are missing and we really wanted to add them to the game (that in itself is a huge project). No doubt it would have been really awesome to work this into the KEX engine though.

Phml said:

Admittedly depends on whether the maps are enjoyable or not, but you'd be surprised.

I suppose it would be more accurate to say that I do not want to make a megawad full of 2+ hour long maps. As much as I like to make big maps, it would take me years to do just the mapping. It doesn't surprise me that someone out there would like to play something like that. But I want to preserve some of my sanity if I can :P

I was playing around in our resource wad tonight and it dawned on me that I haven't updated this thread in a long while. I was also listening to one of the Tango TV Part B sessions (the one with some of the project/community discussion), and I picked up on the fact that not a whole lot is really known about Supplice. So hey, here's an update! But it's not all good news.

Cage, our main mad graphic/sprite guy, had to take an extended leave from the project due to some real life circumstances. This actually happened months ago and I just didn't bother to update. Anywho, last time I talked with him, he isn't planning on leaving the project entirely, but is just taking a sabbatical until further notice.

I'm really pushing to finish up Vela Pax this year. So I took Cage's break as an opportunity to focus myself towards Vela Pax as much as possible. So in effect this means that I am also not working on Supplice, at least not in a direct manner.

So the tl;dr version is this - Supplice is on hiatus until further notice. Basically I'm not going to work on Supplice until I finish Vela Pax (unless I get so sick of Vela Pax that I just need to work on something else). Jimmy and Bouncy are still on board with the project, as far as I know, and they may or may not be working on it in our absence.

Oh yea, there is some good news! Bouncy joined the team recently as a sound effects guy :). We're hoping for new sounds for the weapons, environment actions, some of the new monsters, and anything else we can replace once those areas are filled.

Also, while we are on hiatus, the good news is that 2012 was super productive for the project. We've got right around 1300 textures and flats in complete and semi-complete states. The dehacked work for the new monsters, updated monsters, and tweaked weapons is pretty much done. I would say at least half of the new sprites are finished (the majority being items and decorations). Jimmy has made some really awesome music so far. And Bouncy has donated some excellent sound effects that should help reinforce the industrial~ish mood of the project.

There's just a ton of stuff we've gotten done, and most of it hasn't really seen the light of day yet. I'm not sure what the best method to show off this new stuff is since we don't really have any maps to speak of (other than test maps and what was made for the project announcement). So I might try to leak some more content in the future :)

*edit*

Heh, I forgot that I posted some shots in the ZDoom forums a while back. Not sure why I never posted them here...anyways:

These are just some shots from test map craziness, nothing special. But I guess it is better than nothing?

(Sorry for the crappy photobucket links by the way, I can upload them to a better host later if need be)

Took a look at the screeniez. This looks really nice as far as I can tell. Not enough TC's/Zdoom wads these days. Really looking forward to this project!

Mechadon said:

I was playing around in our resource wad tonight and it dawned on me that I haven't updated this thread in a long while.

You're super cool, this is super cool, and it will be super cool when this is released. Keep on truckin'; I'm looking forward to Vela Pax!

Hello fellers! I'm glad some of your are digging what Cage, Jimmy, and myself are attempting to plant. We're still technically on a hiatus from this project, but a few weeks ago I decided to play around with our resources on some existing DM maps of mine. This kind of jump started a spurt of activity which led me to semi-plan a screenshot showcase of Doom's 20th.

So first, have some screenshots!

I can't post them all at once, so here's an album with all of them.

Jimmy and I both converted some maps and Cage worked on a few new textures and sprites. I haven't shown off much in regards to this project, so I hope this slew of screenshots will be somewhat interesting to look at. Most of our "themes" cover more terrestrial stuff, though I did attempt a gothic/hell themed map as you can see. As time goes on, we will have more and more textures to play with of varying designs and themes.

So I guess one obvious question is why are we doing DM maps when Supplice is supposed to be a SP/COOP affair? That's a good question! A while back I decided that if we have some down time working on other projects, that it might be cool to do a DM pack alongside the main project. Our resource pool keeps growing and it would be a shame to not utilize it as much as possible. After all, there will only be 6 maps per episode in the main project, which isn't much if you wanna play with the resources a lot. So as we continue working, we'll be doing some DM maps on the side. I don't really have a set goal on a number of maps, but I think we'll just do whatever we feel comfortable with. So far I've done 5 finished maps and Jimmy has done 2, so that's a pretty respectable start. There are a few more 32in24 maps I wanna convert and I also have some more obscure/unknown DM maps from the past that I will likely heavily revamp as well. So if we end up with a megawad of DM maps, then that's just more content for you guys :)

If you guys have any questions, shoot them at me and I will happily answer them.

Need a mapper and/or DeHackEd guy? Heh, worth a shot. I've got some samples I can send you if you like.

Well, I seem to have completely forgotten that I posted in here o_0

Obsidian said:

Need a mapper and/or DeHackEd guy? Heh, worth a shot. I've got some samples I can send you if you like.

Mappers = a slim maybe. We're still not at the point where we want to start map production for the singleplayer/coop set. But when we do get there, we may find that opening up the project to some other mappers might be a good idea (just to help get the project moving along at a faster pace). Most likely it will be invite-only. But I'll certainly keep you in mind Obsidian :)

Other than that, I've got the dehacked pretty much covered at this point. There are a few new things I'm looking to add, but otherwise everything is done.

What we really need is another sprite artist to help Cage out, particularly with a couple of the big sprites (the new end boss in particular). But that is a really big slot to fill and I'm not expecting anyone to come along and fill it anytime soon.

esselfortium said:

That looks severely awesome.

Thanks man, I appreciate that! If you ever want to take a sneak peek at this stuff, let me know.

Hi! I think it is way past due for a proper update here, and that is entirely my fault. We've been sharing some screenshots and info via twitter, and I've been trying to make some dev-blog posts about the project's progress. But I haven't been sharing any of it here, so I'm going to try and rectify that from now on.

First thing to mention is that I have updated the first post. There's now an updated list of goals, links to more of Jimmy's music, some time-lapse graphic creation videos by Cage, some new screenshots, and an updated team roster.

Secondly, I'll link to the two latest dev-blog posts for those of you interested in reading them.

Supplice! It’s Doom, kinda! - This is a re-reannouncement post with the project's updated goals and a quick FAQ. It should help answer many of the questions some of you might have.
Snazzy Demon Blasters and High-Tech Boomsticks - Latest post on the dev-blog. I talk a bit about the new weapons in Supplice and the history of the weapons from the start of the project.

For those of you who don't want to read the dev-blog posts, I'll try to condense what's been happening with the project.

Sometime around June 2014, our little team decided to jump the project from Boom/MBF to ZDoom. This was a big turning point for the project and something that we talked a lot about before finally making the plunge (there was talk of moving the project to other engines like KEX and Eternity too). There were a bunch of reasons why we decided to switch. I won't go into details, but many of the reasons were because of bugs that I couldn't get around. Cage was also interested in having more leeway with animations and artwork. There were other reasons, but those are a couple of the big ones. I realize the downsides to this change (again, this decision wasn't made lightly), but in the end I think everyone on board felt like ZDoom was the way to go considering where the project was headed. I went into a little more detail in the FAQ of this dev-blog post, so read that if your interested.

Anyways, so far this year we've made huge strides of progress. A ton of graphic work has been knocked out; I'd say we're well over halfway finished by this point. There are some big monster sprites that need creating and Cage still has lots of work left to do on the weapon sprites. But, visually speaking, we've definitely created the project's visual foundation.

Mapping wise, I've recently started drafting out bare layouts. So far I've finished up 5 potential layouts which I'm hoping will be enough to work with (and only 1 of them is gigantic, heh). I also have 5 DM maps done so far this year; visually they are done, all they lack is proper item placements and testing. Overall there are 12 DM maps that are "complete", but I'm not sure how many of them will end up released in the final mapset.

I'm planning on revealing more of the project's assets in future dev-blog posts. So I will try to make a better effort of updating this thread with links to them for you all to read. I'll leave you with a few more screenshots :)

Awesome to hear this isn't dead; I was hoping this would sprout up after THT finished :)

Goddamn those shots are nice, Mech! I love that purple/blue/black area in particular, that colour scheme never fails to be appealing in my eyes.

You guys can thank Cage for the amazing art work he's done for the project. He's seriously an amazing artist and he has saved the project from my very mediocre texturing and spriting skills. Maybe 10% of the finished graphics are mine at most at this point, including the stuff he's redone or drawn over :P

Oh I should also mention that the bottom two screenshots are Jimmy and Cage's work, not mine. That was an old map that Jimmy made waaaay back at the original announcement, and Cage went through and did some retexturing and other work to it.

I'm glad you guys like what you see so far. Hopefully it won't disappoint!

Looks glorious, absolutely glorious. And I'm glad to see there's some ancient/ruins/gothic-looking stuff in there now too, to go along with all of the ultra-shiny superhitech stuff seen previously. What of Hell (or other hostile extraplanar dimension du jour)? Dare I to dream?

Anyway, great to see progress. Every time I see an update on this or Vela Pax it really makes my day.

Demon of the Well said:

What of Hell (or other hostile extraplanar dimension du jour)? Dare I to dream?

Yea that's a good question. The thematic progression of the texture creation basically started with earthly/techbase themes. We slowly started shifting towards more hell-like themes, and at the current moment in time we've got a nice chunk of them done. But the gothic/demon/hell texture pool is still the smallest one at the moment.

We're hoping to take part of the 'hell' theme in a heavy bio-tech and fire'n'brimstone direction (the other half of hell is going to be more gothic in nature, with a heavy emphasis on surrealism, if we can pull it off). The final half of the last episode will take place on Io, which has been demonically terraformed into a sort of gigantic demon bio-tech Death Star. That will somewhat mirror the start of the game where the player starts out on a distant terraformed earth-like planet.

Mechadon said:

We're hoping to take part of the 'hell' theme in a heavy bio-tech and fire'n'brimstone direction (the other half of hell is going to be more gothic in nature, with a heavy emphasis on surrealism, if we can pull it off). The final half of the last episode will take place on Io, which has been demonically terraformed into a sort of gigantic demon bio-tech Death Star. That will somewhat mirror the start of the game where the player starts out on a distant terraformed earth-like planet.

the bio tech and surreal part is definitely something i like, and doesn't come often, as opposed to the classic fire and brimstone look. as for the demonic death star.. hehe that's something i can't wait for. those shots look almost like they're not based on the doom engine.

Mechadon said:

This all sounds absolutely wonderful.

The latest batch of screenshots look great as usual, and I'm seriously envious of the mapping and texturing prowess on display here :)

I'm sure the levels will shine, too, but damn if those textures don't look incredible -- I am particularly enamored with the water and flesh-floor flats. Will the textures/palette be released as a separate .WAD for use in other projects (I'm asking for a friend...)?

Man, this looks bad, as in Michael Jackson bad. I'm excited.

I quite like the colorscheme honestly. It gives it a unique look, and the colors are pretty balanced.

This looks fantastic. Given how few Doom resources you use, have you considered turning this into an independent game running on GLOOME or GZDoom-GPL?

I think - of all the projects on the go at the moment - this is the one I'm most excited about. Those screenshots are absolutely gorgeous!

holy shit, those screenshots don't even look like doom...
this looks absolutely amazing, can't wait for its release!