Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Supplice - Out now on Steam!

Thanks for the comments guys! Cage has done a really amazing job so far, and that painting of the protagonist was a nice surprise :). Things have been going very well with this project lately, so I expect that we'll have more to share soon!

Bumpdate!

Just thought I'd post a couple of in-progress shots of this map I've been tinkering with.  No lighting done yet, as usual.

JS6lm74l.pngSSnsdpkl.png

The going has been kind of slow lately due to a bunch of different reasons.  Though right now I'm trying to get out of 'vanilla texture' mode after working on Counterattack for so long, so its taking me a while to warm up to all of our new resources :P

Here are a couple more deliciously sweet screenshots :D

eIPXZnXl.png4idG8lXl.png

22 minutes ago, Memfis said:

The texture that is obviously based on COMPTILE gives kind of a lame feel to the room. It would be nice to avoid such resemblances where possible.

We purposely have a few Doom-inspired texture designs as part of the resource because the story is kinda connected to the original game (ie. we also have a STARTAN style texture).  But there's not a lot of focus on derived stuff like that, and where it exists, its heavy altered to fit the style of the rest of the assets.

I'm in love with those weapons sprites, they look so slick and cool. I wonder what kind of weapons the player will have and how they function. 

The candyland theme should definitely be a thing in doom mapping. Doom needs more theme parks period. 

4 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

I know it's April Fools Day and I can't trust anything I see, but Candyland is glorious and deserves to be real.

I have some good news for you!  It probably will be :D

2 hours ago, Cage said:

We're proud to share with you, the visual theme we've established for Supplice' last episode, the nerve-wracking finale that will challenge both your skill and beliefs - CANDYLAND!!!

[bizarre sugary goodness]

At first glance I immediately got Spring Man's stage music from Mega Man 7 stuck in my head.  It's great to see a whole new concept outside of a typical hellscape E3 tends to become.

Edited by Psyrus : memory fail

On 1.04.2017 at 9:57 PM, Memfis said:

The texture that is obviously based on COMPTILE gives kind of a lame feel to the room. It would be nice to avoid such resemblances where possible.

I'm not sure if this was communicated - Supplice still takes place in the Doom universe with the same demon "breed" as well as UAC, etc., so this type of reference totally has it's place, especially since it's made from scratch the same way as the other textures, so there won't be any style clashes. :)

On 2.04.2017 at 9:30 PM, bioshockfan90 said:

Yeah, I got a spring man vibe out of it as well. Fucking glorious, I actually hope this is in the final cut.

At first I just wanted to make some silly textures for April 1st but in the end we all liked them so much I'm sure they'll end up in the game in some way...

2 hours ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

Are the demon monsters I see on the screenshots recoloured Doom 64 sprites?

Yes, though they are more than just simple recolors.  Cage used them as a base and completely repainted them.

One thing I've seen a distinct lack of in modern megawads are clever uses of decorations and obstacles. Are you making new ones for Supplice too?

7 hours ago, rf` said:

One thing I've seen a distinct lack of in modern megawads are clever uses of decorations and obstacles. Are you making new ones for Supplice too?

Out of curiosity, what sort of things would you consider to be clever use of decorations/obstacles? Most players seem to hate when there are blocking decorations in the playable space. I always love to see more custom decorations though -- based on some of Cage's spriting tutorial videos, it does look like they're going to have some in Supplice.

2 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

Out of curiosity, what sort of things would you consider to be clever use of decorations/obstacles? Most players seem to hate when there are blocking decorations in the playable space. I always love to see more custom decorations though -- based on some of Cage's spriting tutorial videos, it does look like they're going to have some in Supplice.

That is indeed the case. What we're showing recently is mostly setpieces made by me to show off the textures in practice and establish a look/theme for each set of levels and creative reference for mappers, so my focus is mostly on the texture use, I'm sure the decorations will get way more used on proper maps, not made by a hack like me :) Mechadon and Jimmy sure know what they're doing, so I'm confident that the decorations will add a lot of visual flavor without hurting the gameplay or level flow in any way.

I just went through and counted all of the decoration+obstacle objects that we've got.  Currently we're sitting at 148 different objects in total, including lights, hazards, gore, and so on.  Some of those are our 'suppliced' versions of vanilla decorations (pillars, barrels, etc).  Then a lot of those are light object color variants.  But a sizable chunk of them are totally new objects, and all of them are new in the sense that they have been made from scratch.

I'm really terrible at showing off new stuff, so that's why it probably looks like this project is dead most of the time :P.  Thankfully Cage has been really proactive about making some awesome thematic showcase maps lately.  At the moment I'm busy chipping away at some mapping, and it takes me a while before I'm comfortable showing off something (ergo nothing much gets shown off).

This might just be the coolest fucking thing I've seen for Doom in some time, since Ancient Aliens. Awesome artwork and color usage! This brings one back to the 2.5D shooter era.

I'm giddy with anticipation. Just keep doing what you're doing and I'll be around when it's ready.

Here are some new w.i.p. shots of the map I'm working on.

saUDLCel.pngS90Tsx9l.png

I've almost finished the visual pass on this one, I just need to work on a couple more areas and then do the lighting.  I'll post some more finished screenshots after that :)

On 5/25/2017 at 7:40 AM, NinjaLiquidator said:

How many % is done actually?

It's hard to put a percentage on it.  But I'd say maybe we're around the half-way mark?  We still have a ton of mapping to do, and Cage still has a lot of big sprites to finish up.  But much of the artwork is done at this point, and we've got concrete plans for the rest of the project as we make progress.