Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Supplice - Out now on Steam!

30 minutes ago, Mechadon said:

It's hard to put a percentage on it.  But I'd say maybe we're around the half-way mark?  We still have a ton of mapping to do, and Cage still has a lot of big sprites to finish up.  But much of the artwork is done at this point, and we've got concrete plans for the rest of the project as we make progress.

I have a feeling our progress this year and in 2016 has been way more rapid than previously though - we all gained skills and experience in the meanwhile, have most design decisions in place (For example, the move to ZDoom was a very big question mark for a long time and that slowed down things), and in my personal case, my work/time management is way more effective now and surprisingly, I'm doing more progress now than when I was still at school and had way more free time :)

3 hours ago, NinjaLiquidator said:

What about some test release with half maps?

That's like putting up an unfinished painting in a gallery, listening to a half of a song, or reading a book with every second page missing. What's the point?

Point is that you would get some early feedback of gameplay, and there is (a little) chance you could get guest mappers into it so it would finish itself earlier.

Ah, I thought you mean a public test release. Of course we will test out and feedback things with people outside of our team, but we want to keep it closed. I'm very against public testing/betas, there's only one first impression you can make and we'd rather not make it of something that is unfinished/can still be improved.

We're all in favor of some guest map slots, but we want to choose few select mappers that we'll be able to work with closely to make sure the quality and consistency is best. :)

To note down some pretty measurable progress, let me say that I've just noticed that our current resource build is at 3011 textures strong.

nhl5ehi.png

Last time I was surprised about the number of textures we have, we had 1514 textures and it was on the 18th of March 2016 :)

I still have visual stuff I would like to cover and needs for the new textures always pop up during mapping, but given the numbers, my estimate is that we'll have 3500-4000 once we cover everything we want/need.

What kind of dangers you might run into while on Triton, the largest natural satellite of the planet Neptune?

1. Freezing to death
  2. Getting mauled and/or eaten alive by the invading demons
  3. Being caught in a thermonuclear explosion caused by the structural damage to the installation reactors
  4. All of the above

ZGhjWaK.jpg

18 hours ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

"Freezing to death"? Does that mean the player-character will take environmental damage from the cold?

While what I wrote is more of a flavor text, this idea is something we'll consider and discuss. Only Wad I recall that did that was UAC Ultra and it worked there pretty well, but it's a game mechanic that can end up being very annoying and/or lead to unwinnable situations.

Paranoiac (the extension to Paranoid) has environmental damage from a cold room. We used the Strife damage mechanism where you accumulate "hazard points" while in the cold room, lose them outside, and start losing health as long as your number of hazard points is above a certain value; it felt like a more natural simulation of hypothermia than instant damaging floors.

21 hours ago, Cage said:

Triton, the largest natural satellite of the planet Neptune?

I was going to do a map on Triton! It was going to have a level with ice nitrogen geysers that you have to avoid (and can lead enemies into).

Please steal my idea :D

Also, looks awesome.

On 6/3/2017 at 0:35 PM, JohnnyTheWolf said:

"Freezing to death"? Does that mean the player-character will take environmental damage from the cold?

Cage pretty much answered this and I'm of the same opinion.  I thought the cold areas in UAC Ultra were handled well, so I think it can be done.  In the case of the Triton setting, I was hoping to have some outdoor/underground areas where the player would be running through for a while.  So the only way I could really see it working in a way that wouldn't be annoying would be to go with something like Gez suggested.  Though I don't know if we can do that since we're using the Boom map format.

One of the settings will have a much more defined hazardous outdoors area (where basically being outside will equal damage without a radsuit).  I don't know if it would be much fun to have another whole set of maps using the same mechanic, so that's another thing for me to consider.

12 hours ago, skillsaw said:

I was going to do a map on Triton! It was going to have a level with ice nitrogen geysers that you have to avoid (and can lead enemies into).

Please steal my idea :D

Also, looks awesome.

Hey maybe instead just hop on board and make the map for us ;D

Actually I love the idea of having ice geysers!  I'm sure its something we could work in without too much trouble.

On 21.05.2017 at 0:42 AM, Cage said:

pxdIRdj.jpg

I hope there'll be a lot of grimdark techbases, because I really like what I'm seeing on this one.

On 05.06.2017 at 5:00 AM, Mechadon said:

Though I don't know if we can do that since we're using the Boom map format.

Why not go all the way with using advanced features? Too many maps requiring conversion?

On 6/10/2017 at 10:24 AM, Da Werecat said:

Why not go all the way with using advanced features? Too many maps requiring conversion?

Its more to try and keep the general feeling of the maps a bit more classic.  It's also offers just enough features while staying simple to work in, and that's a nice thing for mapping speed.  Since the original project was going to be for Boom, we decided to keep using that map format once we moved over to ZDoom. 

Actually if I'm totally honest, we also thought it would be good to keep the Boom format around because I have a bad habit of exploding map sizes.  So the static limits that are a part of the format are a ceiling to keep my mapping in check...as awful as that is :P

We have talked about just escalating to UDMF a couple of times though, and we might still do that while attempting to keep the overall classic feel of the maps intact.  I don't think it would be too awful to convert everything, but I haven't really bothered to look into it.

9 hours ago, Katana_Heart said:

This looks like something I'd want to purchase at full price.

Agreed. Y'all better have a Donate button when this is done, cause I am definitely sending you guys some hard earned cash.

Beautiful, and I'm really digging the modern angle guns. And you guys have an excellent design philosophy.

I'm curious about the bestiary, though. You are replacing all the guns, but not all the monsters?  Maybe I don't know things, but as some have said, well pay money for this. It looks amazing.

I've wondered, is buying the licence and releasing on psn a possibility? It just seems like your efforts could be handsomely rewarded.

On 6/17/2017 at 3:17 PM, Mechadon said:

Hey guys, I have some goodies to share!  I finished up the visual pass on my first official map a few days ago.  So here are some screenshots :)

The map's name is "Romeda".  It will likely show up somewhere in the middle of the first theme (so maybe a MAP03 or MAP04).  I'm not sure if you can tell from the DB shot, but its a medium-sized map; its probably one of the smallest maps I've made in a long time.

I can't make any concrete comments on the gameplay yet since that hasn't been fleshed out.  But more than likely its going to be a mostly linear affair, perhaps with two or three minor path deviations if I can make that work.

Hopefully I'll have some more map stuff to show off soon!

The resources look gorgeous and I'm impressed with your mapping as ever. Love the colors, the landscape shots and resources, the lighting, etc etc. Really loving what I see of the monsters too @Cage!

On 6/24/2017 at 10:41 PM, Obsidian said:

Agreed. Y'all better have a Donate button when this is done, cause I am definitely sending you guys some hard earned cash.

Can there a donate button now too?

Edited by Tango

We talked a bit about a donation button today, so I thought I would comment on it.

It feels a little strange to be taking any sort of donations for a Doom project, so I wasn't sure what to say.  I was also ignorant about any of the legalities of taking donations, but I think we're ok as far as that's concerned (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).  We certainly aren't going to be selling the project in any way, and we have never had any intentions of working on the project for money.  So if we do allow donations, rest assured that it really shouldn't change anything as far as the future of the project is concerned.

The sentiment is really appreciated though!  We might go through with setting up some sort of donation button in the future.  Cage had plans to make a website for the project at some point (not sure of the status of that right now), so I thought that might be the best time to add a donation button.  These guys have worked super hard on this and it would be pretty cool to see them get some small monetary rewards.

Anyways, I guess while I'm here, I'll post something that's more interesting to look at.  After I finished up Romeda, I started working on a few more layouts.  Yesterday I made what I think is one of my more compact layouts in a long time.  So here's a DB shot of it:

lhrDm7mm.png

I've also done a bunch of new DM layouts (about 7 of them in the past few weeks).  Those will be useful platforms for me to test out texture and theme combinations, so you guys might get some new screenshots of them soon.

The weapon artwork looks nice, but I hope it has dynamic animations. I can't stand when new weapon artwork just moves backwards with a muzzle flash.

2 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

The weapon artwork looks nice, but I hope it has dynamic animations. I can't stand when new weapon artwork just moves backwards with a muzzle flash.

Cage and Pillow are both working on this stuff right now, and I'm pretty confident that they'll look really good given their backgrounds.  The sprites are based off of some 3D models that Cage whipped up which is making animations a lot easier to pull off.  There might be a gif or two of them in action in the near future, who knows :D

2 hours ago, Decay said:

Who is testing the DM maps???

No one as of yet!  There's a lot left to do with the weapons and powerups before anything can really be tested (I haven't even populated the last few DM maps I've made).  At the moment I'm making layouts based off of what I know about regular Doom DM, and then as things become more concrete I'll probably end up tweaking things later.

Testing is something we'll definitely be needing at some point though.  So if you or anyone else is interested, let me know!

8 hours ago, Mechadon said:

Testing is something we'll definitely be needing at some point though.  So if you or anyone else is interested, let me know!

Of course. Untested DM maps are a huge gamble in quality. When you're ready, I can easily get a crew of good players to test and get feedback.

I am too interested to test these maps Seeing as this could it could be needed feedback and all

and players too