Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

Frozen Time

Generally this map is made in doom format, but you need Boom compatibility for forcing "comp_sound 0" and for a few transparency. Support for ZDoom extended nodes, hi-res textures and tall patches is required. Also you strongly need a powerful computer to play this wad. GLBoom-Plus almost always is fine, GZDoom is slower, but I hope still acceptable. Newest Eternity, Risen3D, ZDoom and software PrBoom-Plus will run it, but with not playable frame rate. Sorry.

Link:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=17030

Enjoy.

All screenshots below +1 bonus on single page:
http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/frozent.html

Jesus Christ on a crystal meth binge, this looks fantastic! Shame that my computer probably won't run it but I'll download and give it a shot. I like the mixture of textures you have going on there.

this looks mighty swanky. I'll have to add this to the list of stuff to try on the big machine.

Looks pretty good, but looking at the shots very mono luminous which makes things look flat. In this case though the textures make up for that for the most part, one other thing those mountains in the sky texture look very papery when viewed from high up. It probably would have looked better if the boundary around the main part of the map was higher so only the top half of the sky texture would be visible much like what is seen in the first shot. But hey with all that said it's still pretty bad assed!

Just got through playing it. Thoroughly enjoyed it. It looks every bit as good as the screen shots and plays well too. I like the nice consistent "this is a cold place and the monsters here are a little different because of it" theme.

I have to say, although the castle architecture is very impressive and very good looking, there was something about the icy caves near the start that I really liked and I think they are my favourite part looks wise even if they are relatively simple.

I did notice that I could shoot most (all?) glass windows without either breaking the window or my shots being blocked. Intentional?

Seeing as how there isn't a link in the thread yet...

ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/msdos/games/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/frozent.zip

It's not in the database yet so that's a link to the Berlin mirror which always works well for me.

Yes, I also enjoyed this. A few things I noticed that Eternal might be interested in ...

1. Only the north sector 93 should have nukage. This sector should be split into 2 sectors.
2. Sector 192 does not do damage - nukage.
3. If the player is between 1291 and 1302, the player can see the lower sky hemishpere at sector 944. Similar if at vertex 2063 and 2067.
4. Unless I'm missing something, secret sectors 1556 and 873 are impossible to get, unless an AV jump is required to get to sector 873 first.
5. Again, unless I'm missing something,in single player, it is impossible to get to sector 1329, to get to secret sector 1370, unless an AV jump is required to get to a nearby sector first.
6. Mid tex at line 26150 bleeds into the floor in software renderers.

hawkwind said:

1. Only the north sector 93 should have nukage. This sector should be split into 2 sectors.
2. Sector 192 does not do damage - nukage.

All is ok with these sectors.

hawkwind said:

4. Unless I'm missing something, secret sectors 1556 and 873 are impossible to get, unless an AV jump is required to get to sector 873 first.

Switch on line #19566 lowers sector 873

hawkwind said:

5. Again, unless I'm missing something,in single player, it is impossible to get to sector 1329, to get to secret sector 1370, unless an AV jump is required to get to a nearby sector first.

Switch on line #17869 lowers sector 1359

Very cool. Here is a FDA. :)

btw what's up with the HUD? What is "small", "large"? Why it says "shells" against plasmagun ammo?

Got exactly where memfis in FDA, except with additional wandering around for maybe 20 minutes because I totally missed blue key trigger.

Played a few minutes of this and when I first stepped out of the castle and into the ice caves, I actually went, "Wow!" I've never seen visuals like this in a Doom engine game before. Can't wait to start playing this game in earnest. Thanks, Eternal, for continuing to make these greats wads that really push the envelope in both visuals and gameplay. You're an all-time master.

C.

entryway said:

Switch on line #19566 lowers sector 873

I had forgotten about that ...

entryway said:

Switch on line #17869 lowers sector 1359

I completely missed that one !

Thanks entryway.

Probably interesting info which I noticed before releasing: fps is about 12-15% (!) higher with zdbsp extended nodes in comparison with deepbsp v4 nodes. In the slowest place I have ~50 fps with zdbsp nodes and ~43 with deepbsp nodes.

This is a lovely map, quite harsh on ammo early on I found, though that might be the route I chose (had to punch a baron of hell to death at one point). Very cool, and quite tough here and there

I wouldn't call the frame rate unplayable but you do have to be aware you will take otherwise avoidable damage from momentary losses of control. I probably wouldn't try to record a demo, but with judicious use of savegames, it's fine. And it's not like I'd skip Eternal's annual cacobait map just because of some low frame rates, come on :P

In the slowest place I have about 50 fps on my 5 years old system, but mostly it is 100+, so I'm fine. Also I noticed that "render_precise 0" adds ~5 fps and "gl_use_display_lists 1" adds another 5 fps -> 60 fps

I got one major instance of less than stellar framerate but I was using GZDoom on what must be like a four year old system. I don't think I had any deaths attributable to frame lag.

Really nice map you made. The texture used are refreshing and you got some cool monster translations. There is nothing bad I can say about this wad. Its overall well balanced and has a nice theme thats easy on the eyes. The detail is almost nice so thats also a plus.