Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Optimus

Hallucinations or strange after effects after playing Doom for too long?

Weird subject, but could be fun.

Hallucinations or close to that after playing hours of Doom?

I once was walking down the street and with the corner of my eye I saw someone walking around 500m with such a stance and fast and wearing a grey jacket that reminded me a walking archville, and then I felt the adrenaline and I was on alert, I had to switch to SSG.

I ritually walk over a berserk pack and megasphere before going to the gym; critical preparation for a great workout.

I remember walking into a room once, I think it was at a party or something. 5-6 people were staning close together and talking to eachother. The first thing that popped into my mind was where to shoot a rocket to gib all of them... :S

Once I got so immersed into Hexen that I actually tried to dodge a hanging branch with my head. In the game.

Many years ago I used to take screenshots all the time while playing (not necessarily Doom). Once, when I saw something interesting on the street I instinctively moved my left hand to press "print screen". :P

Also, while waiting for the green light I never just stand still, I slowly walk around just like Doom monsters.

darkreaver said:

I remember walking into a room once, I think it was at a party or something. 5-6 people were staning close together and talking to eachother. The first thing that popped into my mind was where to shoot a rocket to gib all of them... :S

I've thought of that before. seeing people standing in some sort of a C-shape is so perfect that if I did have a rocket launcher i couldn't resist.

I remember I was at one of those old movie cinemas waiting to see a film. And I was looking for the bathroom before we went in. And there were these big flights of stairs leading up to a balcony of sorts. And under the balcony was this big alcove with chairs and things. And I actually thought to myself, "The bathrooms can't be upstairs, because there is an alcove underneath and you can't have room over room.

Then I realized that in real life, actually, yes, you idiot, you can have room over room. Needless to say, the bathrooms were upstairs.

40oz said:

I've thought of that before. seeing people standing in some sort of a C-shape is so perfect that if I did have a rocket launcher i couldn't resist.

And this is why we can't have nice things.

The first time I did watch duty in the army, I held my rifle closest to Doom style as possible, started swinging it side to side and humming E1M1 while walking double-time. Of course, this quickly proved to be tiring and risky (it looked ridiculous, could cost me a reprimand if someone saw me fooling around like that), so I stopped.

Doomers love bungalows. My house doesn't conform to vanilla limits either, KYKA. Unless it's using silent teleporters that I don't know about.

Not a hallucination: But I still routinely press 'C' on the keyboard when I want to clear my selection in programmes other than Doombuilder.

schwerpunk said:

Doomers love bungalows. My house doesn't conform to vanilla limits either, KYKA. Unless it's using silent teleporters that I don't know about.

I have just decided I want a silent teleporter from my refridgerator to my PC.

schwerpunk said:
Not a hallucination: But I still routinely press 'C' on the keyboard when I want to clear my selection in programmes other than Doombuilder. [/B]

Heh. Reminds me of how often I have hit the TAB key to bring up the automap. Which is a good thing, unless you are watching youtube vids of Doom speedruns.

Seriously, youtube needs to implement an automap feature.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

I remember I was at one of those old movie cinemas waiting to see a film. And I was looking for the bathroom before we went in. And there were these big flights of stairs leading up to a balcony of sorts. And under the balcony was this big alcove with chairs and things. And I actually thought to myself, "The bathrooms can't be upstairs, because there is an alcove underneath and you can't have room over room.

Then I realized that in real life, actually, yes, you idiot, you can have room over room. Needless to say, the bathrooms were upstairs.

Heh. Similarly, I think everybody that has done Doom mapping will look at some architecture and think about how to reproduce it in Doom...

This one time, after eating a sugar cube, I saw a flash of green light all around me. Next thing I know, the sky turned black and I was in the middle of a cornfield naked.

I was looking at the map of a hotel I was staying in and thought 'Well, this is a bit orthogonal and copy/pasted.'

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Heh. Reminds me of how often I have hit the TAB key to bring up the automap. Which is a good thing, unless you are watching youtube vids of Doom speedruns.

Yeah, I'm guilty of this one.

Captain Ventris said:

Whoa, almost a page, and not a single post about being arrested for humping a wall?

No wall humping, sorry. But at least it does feature a sound with n eerie similarity a passing resemblance to DSPLPAIN ;-)

NoneeLlama said:

I spotted misaligned textures on buildings.

Me too. Tiles, paint, lights that aren't spaced out evenly from each other, decoration mishaps.

I often strafe run into people without realising. Also, when I visit a new place, I often ask myself; "was this the genuine work of man or did someone just use slige?"

I once started staring at bathroom tiles, trying to autoalign them. After a second, I realised that I'm not in doombuilder 3d mode. After five seconds, I realised that tiles cut in half are actually more sensible than a tile bent in a corner.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Ah, sometimes i'll did it too!

I've learned rubbing up against a wall does not increase my speed IRL.

Memfis said:

Once I got so immersed into Hexen that I actually tried to dodge a hanging branch with my head. In the game.

I once lurched my head back when a cyberdemon launched a rocket directly at me in-game. The experience was so funny.

schwerpunk said:

Not a hallucination: But I still routinely press 'C' on the keyboard when I want to clear my selection in programmes other than Doombuilder.

Haha. I do that too. Or after an intense mapping session when I take an internet break I keep trying to hold space-bar to scroll down pages.

Also, not doom related, I frequently make the mistake of confusing the word "delete" for throwing something away. I've caught myself saying something like "I'm going to take all these papers off my desk and delete them" when I meant to say I was going to throw them away. Silly me!

Memfis said:

My sister did this with Episode 1 Racer, except it was lick the head dodge with racing. Close enough anyways. But I think everyone gets to that point in a game where they start moving to dodge things they don't really need to dodge.

I can't say I've ever had hallucinations before, so, I dunno. However if it's any consellation I commonly shout Rip and Tear.

I read an article long time ago from guy who stopped at highway at night to pick up blue plastic bag because he thought it was health orb.
I dont have any after effects when I'm wake only when I sleep. Sometimes some tunes stuck in my head for days.

Waffenak said:

Sometimes some tunes stuck in my head for days.

This.
I had Countdown to Death in my head during an exam :/

Sometimes I get to sleep by counting random Hadephobia related things like how many secrets are in each map or counting which levels have a backpack in or other nonsensical trivia.

Technician said:

I once lurched my head back when a cyberdemon launched a rocket directly at me in-game. The experience was so funny.

When I fought the Cyberdemon first time in E2M8, getting hit in my vision by rockets felt like having a round shot strike my teeth, breaking them inside.