Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Optimus

Hallucinations or strange after effects after playing Doom for too long?

Classic games like Doom would have FAQs with one of their questions sounding like the thread title. The usual answer: get some sleep, dude.

Eris Falling said:

The thought has occurred to me: Just WHY aren't cliff edges flagged as impassable?

So that you can drop off them?

Hah, this thread made me remember a story that I may have already told numerous times, but it's not like people would remember it anyways.

When I was a kid playing Doom on my SNES, it was really hard, because I sucked and it had no saves. Dying actually would discourage me so much that I'd just turn the game off. So essentially, I played it like a hardcore mode. Plus, episode three could only be accessed from the start by choosing difficulties above the third, and as you may guess the first couple levels of EP3 absolutely destroyed kid me on UV. I don't think I ever passed e3m2. So to have a chance to see the EP3 levels, I'd have to start at episode 2, on the third difficulty, and beat it in one sitting to gain access to ep3 on that difficulty. I would've gone even farther and started with ep1 on difficulty 1, but the game didn't actually let me continue with ep2 after beating ep1, booting me to the start of the game instead.

So, essentially, my quest was to beat ep2 and ep3 on difficulty 3, in one sitting, without dying once (I know this particular limit was self-imposed, but I could never find it in me to replay a level after dying).

One summer, I was vacationing at a countryhouse with a cousin (or was he a brother? I don't actually remember!). We would play many of my SNES games, but I didn't hook the console up to the TV properly so the image was kind of static-y. In most games it was fine, but it made playing Doom essentially impossible. One day out of the blue I just sorta figured out how to fix this, ran excitedly to retrieve cuz from the toilet, screaming "WE CAN PLAY DOOM NOW!". So we sit down and beat ep1 for no reason (map5's music scared him a lot), and then proceeded to beat eps2 and 3 (limbo's music scared him a lot too). You can imagine that our state of mind wasn't the clearest after such an endeavor...

So when we, with out blank stares and tired minds, went outside to stretch our legs and take in the fact that we just beat Doom for the first time, I saw a barrel that was collecting rain water... conveniently painted red... And I turned to him, and very seriously said "Hey, there's a red barrel, we will have to find a red key to blow it up!". Only after a couple seconds did we realise how dumb it was, and then shared a good laugh.

NoneeLlama said:

I spotted misaligned textures on buildings.

Haha, this one, all the time. Wallpaper's always the best. I have some photos of some "badly-autoaligned" wallpaper from a local Italian restaurant I've been meaning to upload for a while. :P

Hmm... Don't have any strange effects, but maybe this can be listed as some sort after effect?

Maybe it's just me, but if I make too many deaths by rockets to wall right in front of me and (maybe) don't get bothered of it, I always smack my toes to some obstacle, be it chair or table or drawer. And I don't care when it happens.

I once got a very convincing falling effect from one of the deep shafts in Deus Vult -I was actually short of breath because of the "acceleration", and my heart must have skipped a beat. However, it took quite some preparation to induce:

• Big 19" 4:3 CRT monitor just 30-40 cm away
  • Using GZDoom (in order for the freelook to be convincing and the motion smooth enough).
  • Dark room, lit only by the monitor (heh, EVERY Doom game should be played like this, but it's not always possible...)
  • 5+ hours of continuous play.
  • It was 3:00 or 4:00 am.
In other words, complete immersion.

So far in relation to DOOM, never, but it has happened with some other games.

In particular, if I go hardcore on Metroid speedrunning, then I will get stuck in "speed mode". It's hard to describe, but - not only do I do everything as fast as possible, but everything seems to be happening faster as well whether I try to make it so or not. Kinda like the world is spinning faster :P

When I'm getting into Doom I sometimes get a sensation like something is poking me in the face (right between my eyes) when a Revenant rocket catches Doomguy right in the centre of the screen. I've also got a brief sensation of vertigo when falling down some of the larger drops in some PWADs - particularly when there is a patterned wall rushing by close to my screen.

From other games, the only thing I've noticed is that, after playing so much Forza 3 and 4 in the last two years or so, I tend to walk in a racing line. No idea if its making me go any faster (I doubt it though), but it does help me avoid bumping into people coming the other way around corners as I go out wide (a bit) to better go round it, giving me time to see them coming.

EDIT: Oh, and back when I played a lot of Guitar Hero it wasn't unusual to walk away from the game and still have coloured blobs tracking down my vision. I suppose if you spend an hour or so staring at that intently, it burns into your mind.

Phobus said:

EDIT: Oh, and back when I played a lot of Guitar Hero it wasn't unusual to walk away from the game and still have coloured blobs tracking down my vision. I suppose if you spend an hour or so staring at that intently, it burns into your mind.

Because of the scrolling fretboard, I'd always see everything in real-life to be shifting in some direction. Not nice.

ASD said:

People who are heavily drunk or stoned are out of sync in this world.

Whenever I zone out for a few seconds I'm going to say "sorry, lag spike," when I come to. Lol.