Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

Strange things are afoot

Someone - I'm not saying who - was added to my ignore list even though I didn't add them myself. In the eight years I've lurked and posted in these parts I've never even considered using this feature, so I was a little bewildered when I noticed that their posts were unreadable.

Was this a moderator's decision? To what end, I couldn't say; if it was done to prevent some supposed hostility between us from escalating, then why not just ask one or both of us to play nicely? It occurred to me that the ignore feature might not only hide someone else's posts from your view but also hide your posts from theirs, but having removed this person from my ignore list I can see their posts just fine.

Strange things are afoot, indeed.

I dunno about you, but I accidentally add people to my buddy list occasionally: just an accidental click. X-D. There's also those odd people who seem to be invisibly on everyone's Ignore list (I believe Fanatic is one of them). Who is this person on your list exactly?

Obsidian said:

I dunno about you, but I accidentally add people to my buddy list occasionally: just an accidental click. X-D. There's also those odd people who seem to be invisibly on everyone's Ignore list (I believe Fanatic is one of them). Who is this person on your list exactly?

I'm 99.9*% confident that this wasn't an accidental click of an icon; to add people to your ignore list you have to first view their profile, which I didn't do.

And I'm not saying who it is. There's a limit to how much information I'm prepared to divulge in an open post.

Bloodshedder said:

Any posts left on the board by a deleted user account show up as being ignored.

That would make sense if the user didn't appear to be still active :/

Obsidian said:

There's also those odd people who seem to be invisibly on everyone's Ignore list (I believe Fanatic is one of them).

Can you point me to a post where this happens with Fanatic? His most recent post doesn't have this happen.

DoomUK said:

And I'm not saying who it is. There's a limit to how much information I'm prepared to divulge in an open post.

Why does it matter? Is this person still showing as ignored? I just told you that your ignore list is empty.

The only way an administrator could add a person to somebody else's ignore list is if they had direct access to the database.

Also, I could very easily make a link that anyone could click that would add you to their ignore list: If you click this link, you acknowledge that you are adding DoomUK to your ignore list

This has been done before by other people, notably here, which I'm about 99% sure explains this instance; now that I think about it, this might just become a bannable offense.

Bloodshedder said:

This has been done before by other people, notably here, which I'm about 99% sure explains this instance; now that I think about it, this might just become a bannable offense.

Haha, oh wow.

I think I must have inadvertently clicked that, and forgotten all about it, which would explain everything. Disregard the PM I sent you.

Bloodshedder said:

Can you point me to a post where this happens with Fanatic? His most recent post doesn't have this happen.

Strange things are indeed afoot. Clicking on Fanatic's post presents me with the following message...

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.

2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

GreyGhost said:

Strange things are indeed afoot. Clicking on Fanatic's post presents me with the following message...

I suppose it would help if I linked to one that wasn't in a hidden forum... like this one.

Yep, I can see that one.

DoomUK said:

It occurred to me that the ignore feature might not only hide someone else's posts from your view but also hide your posts from theirs

I'm pretty sure it's one-way only.

Pff hahahahahahaha, this thread made my day, nice one DorkUK.
What did you do all these years on the forum if you don't know how ignoring works? HAHAHA, oh MAN. OMG, and the horrible truth about who was in his ignore list is revealed, hide yo kids, hide yo wife!

This thread, man, this thread...

Edit:

In the eight years I've lurked and posted in these parts I've never even considered using this feature

STILL FUNNY

Are you seriously getting your panties twisted in a bunch because DoomUK ignored you inadvertently?

I just imagined him clicking that link without knowing what it will do and then not noticing what it did and even making a thread about it. Covering up the name is also funny, considering that i knew from the beginning that he's talking 'bout me, and I WAS RIGHT HAHA.

Phml said:

Are you seriously getting your panties twisted in a bunch because DoomUK ignored you inadvertently?

More likely wetting his pants.

Harmata said:

nice one DorkUK

Even being replete with non-witty, entry-level trolling such as this, your posts are still worth reading.

Dude, stop calling everything "trolling", that was a pun. Dang, you can't even joke without being called a troll these days.

Harmata said:

Dude, stop calling everything "trolling", that was a pun. Dang, you can't even joke without being called a troll these days.

I'm with you on this one. Probably one of the most annoying trends of the modern internet.

EDIT: although I'm pretty sure DoomUK was being facetious. He's a cool dude.

Harmata said:

+1

Doom Marine said:

+1

Let it not be said, Sir, that pseudo-repping is not the confabulatory preserve of those well-versed in the art of onanism and that you, Sir, are not one of it's foremost practitioners.

DoomUK said:

Let it not be said, Sir, that pseudo-repping is not the confabulatory preserve of those well-versed in the art of onanism and that you, Sir, are not one of it's foremost practitioners.

ROFL

You try too hard to be perceived as smart and sophisticated, but in reality you come off as a hyper-sensitive mental midget wearing platform shoes. Please stop making me laugh, it's starting to hurt.

Oh, and the philosophy and documentary thread just reeks of mid-life soul searching. Please make more of those!

Doom Marine said:

mid-life soul searching

Hey, I'm only 30 ;)

In any case, I'd sooner be an "old" fool than someone in that know-it-all phase of their life that we all go through. It's not a pleasant transition in retrospect.

You try too hard to be perceived as smart and sophisticated

As much and as often as I disagree with DoomUK, I can't possibly see how could one genuinely believe this about his posting. He's probably one of the most humble (in a positive way) person around here.

On the other hand, the above quote sums up your entire involvement in the Doom community.

(Which isn't necessarily a bad thing; that drive to recognition pushed you to make impressive maps many people enjoyed. Pot, kettle, is all I'm saying.)

Phml said:

As much and as often as I disagree with DoomUK, I can't possibly see how could one genuinely believe this about his posting. He's probably one of the most humble (in a positive way) person around here.

Humble doesn't mean he can bumble without being humbled... see what I did there?

Phml said:

On the other hand, the above quote sums up your entire involvement in the Doom community.

What do you mean? I'm really humble. I'm so humble that I don't brag about the fact that I won TWO Cacoawards in every other posting... I mean I could go on about my achievements, but that would be arrogant and I would come off as an asshole!

I have a feeling this thread will be damned soon, so I'll just get my two bits in now.

Doom Marine:
DoomUK was actually making a little joke, there. If you decipher his sentence, you'll see the signs of this. From the comma nested, capitalized 'sirs,' to the overly flowery language; he's poking fun at himself as much as anyone. No one could ever employ suchlike diction while maintaining an unbroken countenance. **

DoomUK:
Hey, 30 is the new 25! At least that's what I'm trying to convince myself.

Phml:
I like you.

DoomUK said:

Hey, I'm only 30 ;)

In any case, I'd sooner be an "old" fool than someone in that know-it-all phase of their life that we all go through. It's not a pleasant transition in retrospect.

To each his own. It's not the fact that you are humble or your self-proclaimed "old" fool title that has us comes to clash quite often... rather it's the grating self-consciousness you have that gets in the way of frank discussion... That and you appeal to sentiment, while logic and hard facts are the only things that get me moving.

Another observation I'd like to make, is that you come off as passive-aggressive in your retorts, you may not mean it to come across that way, but you really do.

I am outright aggressive and make no apologies for it. If I don't like you, it's going to be clear as day.