Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Brutal HeXen - Beta 1 Released

Brutal HeXen will be a complete revamp of HeXen's gameplay. It's not just more gore and fancy fire effects and particles. It takes the fighting to a whole new level, making the combat way more dynamic, brutal, realistic, and interesting.

Screenshots:
http://i46.tinypic.com/2eea0dy.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/14lu053.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/3343wjn.jpg

Features:
Very dynamic and violent melee combat. Create chain combos, and study the enemy's behavior and learn when is the best time to attack or defend.
- Earn experience points by killing enemies (bonus points if you gib or execute them) and level up and increase your max health and get perks at every level.
- Blood, gore, and guts everywhere!
- Flares, new dynamic lights, and particles for fire, smoke, projectiles, and others.
- Better liquid textures. Lava also creates glows on walls (OpenGL only feature).
- Widescreen support for all weapons.

Planed features:
- Dynamic scenario with almost everything destroyable.
- Heretic compatibility

Baratus (Fighter) info
Slot 1 - Timon's Axe and Shield
Fire uses the Axe's regular attack. You can hold the fire button to hold the attack and remain in a steady position, then release it to unleash the attack.
Alt Fire uses the shield to block any frontal attack. The Shield can't completely block explosive projectiles with splash damage, but it will sightly reduce the damage dealt by it.
Killing an Affrit or a near-death Ettin with the shield bash will perform a fatality.
(PS: Please note that this is still an alpha test, and the shield may not always block everything).
Chain Combos:
- Shield Bash: tap twice the alt fire button. A shield bash knocks back and stuns enemies for a moment. If you already is blocking, just release the alt fire button and press it again immediately to shield bash. (The Stronger Shield Perk gained at Level 2 knocks back many nearby enemies)
- When you are finishing the regular attack, release the fire button and immediately press and hold fire again to unleash a stronger attack.
- At the end of the stronger attack, you can do a third combo by releasing the fire button and pressing and holding the alt fire to bash with your shield.

Slot 2 - Thunder Crossbow
Fires thunder arrows. Uses 8 blue mana per shot. It's a good weapon for medium range combat, but it's inefficiency for long range combat due it's inaccuracy. (until you get the Improved Accuracy Perk at Level 3)
Has an alt fire mode that fires 3 arrows at the same time, but it requires the Weapons Super Powers Perk gained at Level 6.

Slot 3 - Battlehammer
Explodes enemies away. Very powerful but very slow (until you get the Faster Hammer Perk at level 4). Consumes 8 green mana per strike. Can be used when mana is over, but it only deals 1/3 damage.
With the Weapons Super Powers Perk gained at Level 6, it can unleash a destructive power wave with it's alt attack.

Slot 4 - Quietus
A sword that deals more damage and has longer range than Timon's Axe, but you can't use the shield with it.
Alt fire unleashes a projectile that pierces and instakills anything on touch, and deals high damage on bosses. The damage is increased by a perk gained at level 9.

Item Diferences
Flechette: Throws it like a grenade. Deals some area damage, but not enough to kill an enemy (unless you throw 3 or 4 in a row). If you have many of them (more than 6 or 7), this can be very useful for clearing rooms, or kill bunkered enemies by throwing it into windows.

BETA 1 Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2cs10ch2hpa96c2
In this Beta, you can only play with Baratus. All weapons are working (but still need some touchups and new sounds). All monsters are "brutalized" and give XP. This Beta is for public testing purposes and feedback, and does not reflects the quality of the final product.

Probably my only complaint about vanilla HeXen is that the beginning is a little slow, and not very dynamic (compared to DooM). So yeah, I think it could benefit from the Brutal treatment.

Especially if you could make the starting kits a little more dynamic. I could see that helping out the single-map WAD scene. You Co-op ideas sound intriguing, too...

I have a better suggestion, if your up to it create a map set dedicated to Brutal Doom game play!

Rather than rely on interest, you should just ask yourself if YOU think it's worth creating. If you think it is, then it is, community interest or no. That's how I did ZDoom Wars, and how I'm doing Doomvengers. I want to, so I am. The interest will follow. Or maybe it won't, but you'll have made it, and it's something you can be proud of.

Though with the popularity of Brutal Doom, I'm pretty sure people will pick this up on sight, so that's not even really a concern. This puts you in a good position, since you can just make something you want to make AND get feedback simply on the basis of name-recognition.

The Captain makes a good point, I have to agree always do what you think is best and what you want to do for yourself =)

Those animations have much less weight to them than the original.

I don't personally have any interest in such a project as I find HeXen to have some very satisfying weapons to use already. But you should make the project if it interests you, not others.

Ooh, working shields. I like the sound of that; I've been wondering how to do the same myself (but never seriously pursued it).

Pottus said:

I have a better suggestion, if your up to it create a map set dedicated to Brutal Doom game play!

I already have a megawad on the works.

Captain Ventris said:

Rather than rely on interest, you should just ask yourself if YOU think it's worth creating. If you think it is, then it is, community interest or no. That's how I did ZDoom Wars, and how I'm doing Doomvengers. I want to, so I am. The interest will follow. Or maybe it won't, but you'll have made it, and it's something you can be proud of.

Though with the popularity of Brutal Doom, I'm pretty sure people will pick this up on sight, so that's not even really a concern. This puts you in a good position, since you can just make something you want to make AND get feedback simply on the basis of name-recognition.

My problem is that I have too many ideas and not enough free time to execute all of them. I still have to finish Brutal Doom, it's arsenal expansion pack, a megawad for Zdoom, and I still want to restart from scratch and finish ArmageDoom at some point. Yes, I am interested on this, but I need to know if this idea is more worth to be put at work now than others. The question if there will be people to play the mod becomes a great issue when the project has it's gameplay specially planned for multiplayer.

schwerpunk said:

Probably my only complaint about vanilla HeXen is that the beginning is a little slow, and not very dynamic (compared to DooM). So yeah, I think it could benefit from the Brutal treatment.

Especially if you could make the starting kits a little more dynamic. I could see that helping out the single-map WAD scene. You Co-op ideas sound intriguing, too...

As you can see in the video, yes, the starting kits are way more dynamic. You have alt attacks, you can make chain combos, and other stuff that goes much further than "Hold Fire Button and Watch Ettins Die."

Khorus said:

Those animations have much less weight to them than the original.

What do you suggest? Make them smoother?

I would love to try it being a Hexen fan. It would certainly spark some more interest in the game for me (another full playthrough of the main iwad, coop sessions, or even making coop specific wads).

BlackFish said:

I would love to try it being a Hexen fan. It would certainly spark some more interest in the game for me (another full playthrough of the main iwad, coop sessions, or even making coop specific wads).

totally seconded this, hexen (along with strife) needs more love :D

wasnt brutal doom enough? The last thing i want is hexen monsters blowing up just cuz you farted on them.

Seriously if your gonna mess with the gameplay, atleast add maps along with it.

I think a slightly more basic modification than BD (ie. no taunts or unnecessary sound replacements) would be fun. I would probably try an IWAD playthrough with it.

I don't see a lot of use to it. Hexen's more about solving puzzles than killing things, anyway.

Go for it. Your work is excellent. But honestly I'm more excited to see Brutal Doom progress and the Ultimate Brutal Arsenal as well. Incredible stuff.

Pottus said:

I agree with this. Some custom maps made for Brutal Doom in particular. Or find some mappers willing to do this.

It's a great game and I still play it. so an expansion pack would help me play a few more times, especially in co-op with friends.

not to hate on Hexen, but Heretic would benefit from it even more, considering how gory standard deaths we're in that game (everything basically explodes)

Yeah, I'm liking the death animations especially. Can't wait to see if you do anything with the flasks, or if you alter any of the artifacts, like you did in Brutal Doom (partial invis. sphere).

Tl;Dr. But brutal should have been hexen in the beginning. Hexen already feels like butchery, this would nicely augment it.