Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lippeth

Looping only part of a MIDI or MUS file?

I know that music tracks automatically loop when the track is done in a level but is there a way to only loop part of the track i.e. NES style? For example, I want to add a Castlevania soundtrack to some Deathmatch and duel maps and I want the music to play as normal, but when the track is done, instead of just repeating the song, I want it to repeat from a key part after the intro to keep fluidity like the NES version. It doesn't look like it can be done in XWE or Slade 3. Any ideas or workarounds are appreciated.

a ghetto alternative is to edit the midi file, copy and paste the parts you want to repeat over and over til the midi is pretty long. the re-intro should be infrequent enough to not be overly annoying (assuming the map doesn't take hours to complete)

That's my absolute last resort, but I should probably get started on it anyway to be prepared. I suppose it will be easy if I put a time limit on the match instead of number of frags so I know it won't repeat.

I'm fairly new to editing and modding so I'm not sure off-hand how and where to implement emidi event types, but I'm looking deep into this. Would I be able to add this in any midi editor or something like Logic Pro? Or is it done afterward in Slade or xwe? I wish I had my own personal young John Carmack to tote around for all my silly questions.

You'd have to add these like you add any other MIDI event, in a MIDI editor.

Ha, thanks. I have been mixing midi in Logic for a few years, but the instrument sounds don't translate once I save the file as MIDI, so I'm brand new to something like Anvil Studio, and am having a difficult time navigating. I've been a mac user since college, and it took me months to figure out a way to even play DOOM (knew nothing of source ports). Now that I'm back on the PC train, I'm overcompensating for lost time and have an unquenchable thirst to make Doom levels and learn how to do simple mods. The mods are a bit harder with no coding experience. Needless to say that other than making maps in Doom Builder, all I know how to do are change sounds and edit sprites. I don't know why I'm saying all this, but a beast has taken over my mind and said "Express your love for the games that made you love games."

Well, I'm giving up on this for now. I can't seem to do this at all in Anvil or Logic, and I'm sick of going back and forth between computers so I'm just going to sit down and enjoy some quiet Doom Builder time and make some DM maps because I am overwhelmed by midi rigamarole.