Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Heh, just played through all of these!

GeneralRainbowBacon: That was very rough! The Lost Souls made dealing with the Revenants and AV a lot harder than it'd otherwise have been, but after that encounter it was all plain-sailing. Good example and I like the idea. I'll get back to this thread in a bit with my own effort. Was the 30 minutes testing time as well?

Pottus: Ugh, Revenant arena :P You should've made it so that the cyberdemons can open the doors as well (once they're awake) so the player can't just tease one of them out at a time.

Phml: Well... That was tedious. I knew somebody was going to do a "only bosses as there's a monster limit map" but that felt a lot like it was taking the piss.

Gebstadter: This one was pretty nice actually! Felt like a legitimate idea and challenge for a MAP01 in an idea-driven megaWAD.

Memfis: Really good looking for a room. Might have been worth hiding a blue key somewhere and having something behind that decorative door which would then unlock the exit (at the cost of the looks), rather than just having it open for the player to run to. Really disappointed in myself for managing to die in this one after getting 100% kills in Phml's map first time :O

Obsidian: Playing dodge the Cyberdemon at the end was pretty tiresome, but not a bad little map otherwise - felt quite luck based as the Revenants scored a couple of really heavy hits on me which had me limping for the rest of the map. I doubt you did it in 30 minutes though, given its for a different community project :P

Pottus (again): This is more like it! Feels like a decent arena, looks pretty nice (good sky too!) and the cyberdemon cleaned up some of the mess for me :P

dobugabumaru: Now there's an arse-whupping if ever I did receive one! Feels like the climactic ending to a larger hell caves map. Good job :)

walter confalonieri: Surprisingly good-looking (odd sky though?) Plays alright too!

cannonball: Very impressive if you got that done in anything under an hour! You had more than 25 monsters though, you cheater :P

TimeOfDeath: Hideous map, but very tight game play. Fortunately I'm alright at 2-shotting cyberdemons with a BFG and I'm very happy to skip about 5 of them when my patience runs out, so I didn't got too frustrated with it.

Foodles: Again, very impressive if it's done in the time but also you're a terrible person for going over the monsters limit. Probably the map out of these I most enjoyed - particularly as I managed to get 100% kills almost exclusively using the chainsaw (couple of chaingunners needed to be pistol'd though :( ) Very good job!

Now, I'd link to my Tiny Pack maps, but none of those took half an hour or less, so I guess I'll make one and pop up back here later when its done :P

EDIT: Ah, there's another one!

Shadow Dweller: Think you wanted to use the "block player" flag on the windows. It's possible to jump out of them ;) Worked fine in ZDoom for me (did get a console message saying "ACS Scripts Unloaded" but that caused no visible issues). Two of the cacodemons don't start off high enough in the air to be seen (or see the player) without jumping onto the windows first, which is alright as there's not enough ammo to kill them as well :P Alright map otherwise - seemed a bit pointless to include the whole of the cc4 texture set.

Yes Phobus: My 30 minutes included testing, there wasn't much testing to be done though :D

I'll be back with comments on all of these later too, I've been too busy to play any of these maps since I made mine right before going to work yesterday.

Foodles said:

Theres a time limit for a reason - 30mins
heres mine
http://www.mediafire.com/?e68oltz55julp9u

...So is this 30 minutes per map, or something else? Either way, this is really good.

The map names don't display properly on the intermission screen though; for the first two the names are blank, and starting with MAP03 it just puts up the original names.

Works fine on the automap, though.

Ha, woah shit! Just realised Foodles had uploaded what looks like a WIP one-man megaWAD :o I think he may have made a mistake with that... My comments earlier were just on MAP01, in case anybody thinks I was passing such a small judgement on 31 maps (in various states of completion, according to a quick peek in an editor).

@(empty): Looking in SLumpEd, he's done that on purpose. Those two graphics lumps have been replaced with blank graphics.

@GRB: Hmm, fair enough. I was thinking 30 minutes to make the map and then a bit of testing afterwards, but we'll see how quickly I can get my effort done!

omg Foodles, what have you done?
Anyways, if you want more feedback, just tell me, I'll be glad to playtest again! :)

Phobus said:

Ha, woah shit! Just realised Foodles had uploaded what looks like a WIP one-man megaWAD :o I think he may have made a mistake with that... My comments earlier were just on MAP01, in case anybody thinks I was passing such a small judgement on 31 maps (in various states of completion, according to a quick peek in an editor).

It's 31 maps? I hadn't checked it in an editor, so I had no idea. Thought he'd just randomly made a small level bundle.

@(empty): Looking in SLumpEd, he's done that on purpose. Those two graphics lumps have been replaced with blank graphics.

Ah. Weird.

Just tried to make a map in 30 minutes. Felt like it was going well only to find out that, bang, an hour had passed and I still needed another hour to go. So I deleted that attempt (it'd have been decidedly average if it was finished) so I've got an idea for scale now. The problem was how long it took me to get textures, flats and sector heights in, annoyingly enough. Drawing the layout and getting the actions in was all over in about 15 minutes. Clearly I need to aim for about 5 or so!

Attempt #2 coming up at some point...

Wow Foodles. Thanks for making that mistake, those first two maps were amazing and I think your now one of my favorite mappers. :) Keep it up, dude.

Ha, we're almost halfway to having a megawad's worth of maps. I've played most of the maps so far and I find it really fascinating to see what people can come up with in thirty minutes.

Also Phobus, don't overthink it, just go.

BloodyAcid said:

Time: 35~ minutes

Story: I forgot the exit room :P

No difficulty levels, no testing.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2x4vl467h51g281

Had to turn godmode on once I freed the Pain Elemental because I was on one health. Definitely couldn't have survived the last fight.

Either cut down a bit on the monsters (those Former Sergeants in the outdoor area chewed through most of my health), or put down some extra medikits and stimpaks.

Also, the blue key bars have such a huge gap that the Pain Elemental can still shoot Lost Souls at you.

I'd make a comment on your odd texturework, but this was made in thirty minutes.

Oh Dear, looks like I'll need to make a new thread regarding that. sorry, its all these drugs they're giving my in hospital, messes with your brain a bit. Put up the actual link for my 30 min map ( I think) in my first post

Just gave the real map a play. Pretty well done; having those Spectres in the starting pit tends to cause some dronejam issues, but it's fairly easily avoided.

Managed to beat it in 15. I'm sure someone will manage to beat that easily, though.

hah, I was gonna say, you'd have a hell of a time convincing me any of those maps were made in 30 minutes. a pretty neat doom1 inspired megawad WIP that was though!

anyways, here's a map: http://www.mediafire.com/?0p8yqc05a0510f9

constructed in 30 mins, playtested for like 5-10 minutes to verify it was possible to beat

Ribbiks said:

anyways, here's a map: http://www.mediafire.com/?0p8yqc05a0510f9

constructed in 30 mins, playtested for like 5-10 minutes to verify it was possible to beat

Spoiler

It's not terribly hard if you very carefully weave your way past the Chaingunners and mow down most of the Imps before going to the door.

Not even sure why the Baron is there.

So I wound up cheating again. I wanted to keep mapping + playtesting in 30 minutes, so I decided to draw out my idea beforehand in MSPaint a la Time of Death. Unfortunately, when I was done with the textures, lighting, and tags, 30 minutes had already passed :/

So I spent ~40 minutes playtesting and tweaking the level. I was in the process of trying to make the final fight harder and making it so the chaingunners don't warp in instantly, but found myself spending too much time on something that was already way past the limit. So here's another attempt by me. I seem to be incapable of making anything more than just a room in under 30. Music by pcorf of course.

Download Spitfire.

EDIT: Awesome level Ribbiks, might be my favorite so far. Only thing I loathed was the AV because he can easily toast you.

megawad of these?

We're at 15 maps so far by my count.

dobugabumaru said:

So I wound up cheating again. I wanted to keep mapping + playtesting in 30 minutes, so I decided to draw out my idea beforehand in MSPaint a la Time of Death. Unfortunately, when I was done with the textures, lighting, and tags, 30 minutes had already passed :/

So I spent ~40 minutes playtesting and tweaking the level. I was in the process of trying to make the final fight harder and making it so the chaingunners don't warp in instantly, but found myself spending too much time on something that was already way past the limit. So here's another attempt by me. I seem to be incapable of making anything more than just a room in under 30. Music by pcorf of course.

Download Spitfire.

A bit too cramped for my tastes, but still good.

(empty) said:

Had to turn godmode on once I freed the Pain Elemental because I was on one health. Definitely couldn't have survived the last fight.

Either cut down a bit on the monsters (those Former Sergeants in the outdoor area chewed through most of my health), or put down some extra medikits and stimpaks.

Also, the blue key bars have such a huge gap that the Pain Elemental can still shoot Lost Souls at you.

I'd make a comment on your odd texturework, but this was made in thirty minutes.

Ok, so I made some adjustments:

1) Added more health
2) Fixed some texture quirks
3) Changed up some monsters
4) Repositioned blue bars

http://www.mediafire.com/?a6a4nj6ax9ag9r6

General Rainbow Bacon said:

megawad of these?

Damn right once we got 32 maps megawad it :D although it will have to be stated that it is meant for ZDoom.

One more thing not all maps were 30 minutes due to play testing and bug fixes so make sure you state that as well.

@BloodyAcid:
Gave it another go. The added health pickups are a definite improvement, but I keep running out of ammo for the shotgun and chaingun right before the final room. It's possible I'm just not conserving ammo properly, though.

Also, you might want to just put the Pain Elemental in a seperate, blocked-by-a-blue-door room: he can still shoot through the gaps, and even when he doesn't he usually has at least two Lost Souls with him by the time I open the bars.

(empty) said:

he can still shoot through the gaps, and even when he doesn't he usually has at least two Lost Souls with him by the time I open the bars.

I thought that the pain elemental being able to shoot through the gaps was a feature.

Please don't include my map if you're going to compile a megawad. I may or may not make a bigger map based on it, but I don't want it to be "officially" released in the current form.

Memfis said:

Please don't include my map if you're going to compile a megawad. I may or may not make a bigger map based on it, but I don't want it to be "officially" released in the current form.

Boo this man!

(empty) said:

@BloodyAcid:
Gave it another go. The added health pickups are a definite improvement, but I keep running out of ammo for the shotgun and chaingun right before the final room. It's possible I'm just not conserving ammo properly, though.

Also, you might want to just put the Pain Elemental in a seperate, blocked-by-a-blue-door room: he can still shoot through the gaps, and even when he doesn't he usually has at least two Lost Souls with him by the time I open the bars.

There's a rocket launcher on the platform with a ssg in the back.

BloodyAcid said:

There's a rocket launcher on the platform with a ssg in the back.

I keep trying to stand back and use the rocket launcher, but then due to autoaim I get hit by the Chaingunners that I can't shoot.

Hadn't noticed the SSG though. Probably because I can't seem to get into the room without taking a good deal of damage or dying.

My map wasn't meant to be taken seriously, if anyone needed confirmation; and while I don't care all that much either way, including it in a compilation would be silly.