Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Cacoward predictions

Mancubus II said:

That said, unfortunately the person who was put in charge of these decided to be done with doom without actually handing anything off.

I never understood why someone with little or no passion for the game was doing them anyway. If the cacowards were about newest styles of jeans or mixing the perfect cosmo we'd be reading them instantly. :P

I'd guess if there still isn't any news soon, we should probably collectively use savagegrant's list he made a few days back as a base to award those wads with the most nominations

Eris Falling said:

Reveward

"Once you beat the big badasses and clean out the moon base, you're supposed to win, aren't you? Aren't you? Where's your fat reveward and ticket home? What the Hell is this? It's not supposed to end this way!"

Gez said:

"Once you beat the big badasses and clean out the moon base, you're supposed to win, aren't you? Aren't you? Where's your fat reveward and ticket home? What the Hell is this? It's not supposed to end this way!"

I see what you did there!
At least, the second time I read it.

cannonball said:

I'd guess if there still isn't any news soon, we should probably collectively use savagegrant's list he made a few days back as a base to award those wads with the most nominations

That, or Scuba comes back and does the whole awards show at the last minute Turbocharged-Arcade-style instead of just 1 map :P

Gez said:

Apparently, when a marine wins they pick him up, dust him off, wire him some combat gear and send him back into battle. No rest for the wicked, eh?

Thread mong redemption
here are my predictions, taken from the democratic voting of this year plus my personal thoughts and bias
Doom the Way id Did
Community Chest 4
Combat Shock 2
Beyond Reality
Putrefier
Skepland
Coffee Break Episode 1
Base Ganymede: Complete
Frozen Time
Can't Run From Evil (Part I)
- Best Gameplay mod
Reelism (whodunnit might have got it if it was released earlier and given a bit more love)
- Mockaward
Call of Dooty II
- Mapper of the year
lupinx-Kassman
Note my thoughts towards the categories might not be entirely correct

Personally I wouldn't consider Reelism to be a gameplay mod since it can only be played on its own maps.

Gez said:

Personally I wouldn't consider Reelism to be a gameplay mod since it can only be played on its own maps.

ok then probably swap one of the lesser names in the ten above with this and then whodunnit can have best gameplay mod. I would probably chuck can't run from evil, but that's only because it has a couple of votes, maybe an honourable mention.
Or just use xasers default option :P

Cacowards aren't based on votes, they've always been chosen based on which projects are considered by the writer(s) to be a good representation of the quality releases throughout the year. It'd be pretty damn dull and disappointing IMO to just get direct forum-popularity-contest results from random voters without an established member filtering through the choices to come up with a more interesting list.

It'd be pretty damn dull and disappointing IMO to just get direct forum-popularity-contest results from random voters without an established member filtering through the choices to come up with a more interesting list.

This.

Cacowards aren't really a popularity contest--quite a few times the award's been given to a less out-there and/or more controversial mods.
The last thing I want is for it to be turned into just a point-and-click poll, especially since those things easily lend themselves towards a "me too!" mentality.

Hey everyone, if you need to make a last minute cacoawards, I've decided to help by coming up with a main image for you. No need to thank me, just doing my bit to help the community.

esselfortium said:

Cacowards aren't based on votes, they've always been chosen based on which projects are considered by the writer(s) to be a good representation of the quality releases throughout the year. It'd be pretty damn dull and disappointing IMO to just get direct forum-popularity-contest results from random voters without an established member filtering through the choices to come up with a more interesting list.

The flaw with my plan, unfortunately it's the quickest way of doing this. Unless someone is going to throw a surprise and bang there is the cacowards for this year. It looks like this would be the only way, unless we delay the awards for a couple of days. And of course give the mordeth award to the ceremony itself :P
Also I do think this is an awful idea, just in case people think i am mental.

I feel like I'm in one of those Christmas specials where Santa gets gangrene or something and they have to cancel the holiday. Hopefully someone will make a last-minute save.

It looks like this would be the only way, unless we delay the awards for a couple of days.

I don't see anything wrong with delaying it for a few days. Or even a week. Or even until the end of December, if needed, in order to give the Cacowards time to be written out and not be terrible.

I'm sure Doom won't mind a belated birthday gift.

No Caocwards? Well this just fucking sucks... :(
Quick, somebody get Scuba out of retirement.

It'd be pretty damn dull and disappointing IMO to just get direct forum-popularity-contest results from random voters without an established member filtering through the choices to come up with a more interesting list.

In the end a list is still a list and matter of opinion, no matter who is doing it, and the people are speaking and they seem to want input into what's going on. Random votes would suck, so maybe a kind of 3-2-1 vote system could be implemented but open to registered users only who can only vote once.

No mention of Samsara possibly getting the Best Gameplay award? For shame. :P

Also, why don't we just put up the first page with the first three cacoward winners today if we can, and the rest when they get written? That way less has to be done immediately.

TerminusEst13 said:

I don't see anything wrong with delaying it for a few days. Or even a week. Or even until the end of December, if needed, in order to give the Cacowards time to be written out and not be terrible.

I'm sure Doom won't mind a belated birthday gift.

Agreed. Better to get the Cacowards we know and love late than a pale facsimile for the sake of having it sooner. To be honest, I never remember exactly when they are anyway.

Yeah, I agree with purist. Last year's awards were pretty rushed, and it showed in the result. If it takes another week or more to get some cacowards that are fleshed out and interesting to read, it'll be worth the wait. Better that than having something get hastily tossed together to meet a symbolic deadline.

esselfortium said:

Yeah, I agree with purist. Last year's awards were pretty rushed, and it showed in the result. If it takes another week or more to get some cacowards that are fleshed out and interesting to read, it'll be worth the wait. Better that than having something get hastily tossed together to meet a symbolic deadline.

Yeah, you probably want more time for people to review your BTSX release :P

esselfortium said:

I agree. Delay if it means a better article.

Eris Falling said:

I've been trying this link, just to check it's not being hidden. Oh well.

Its not 404ing either.

valkiriforce said:

And we need to make sure this does not happen again.

What? No! Delayed Cacowards. Delays all year every year!

If you want any blurbs, I can write them for any WAD on my reviewed list (different style of course). I haven't touched Doom for a month or so but after slamming through some of the games on my Steam backlog I'm feeling refreshed.

Use3D said:

I never understood why someone with little or no passion for the game was doing them anyway. If the cacowards were about newest styles of jeans or mixing the perfect cosmo we'd be reading them instantly. :P

Agreed, nothing against hobbs personally but why was he given the helm? He does literally nothing for Doom, especially not these days.

Not delegating them to someone else is shitty... not to sound like an asshole but either way to be honest I wasn't really looking forward to the cacowards if his lackluster, soulless and unenthusiastic result last year was anything to go by.

esselfortium said:

I agree with every point here... part of the fun is wondering what is going to get picked, and besides bitching about controversial picks is part of the fun.

And I second the idea of taking time to make them interesting instead of rushing them out.

Edit: nice to see kmxexii hasn't been taken by Hurricane Sandy. :)