Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueFireZ88

Doom Expanded Final [RELEASE]

Guest DILDOMASTER666
BlueFireZ88 said:

Why are you using the compatibility modes? I don't touch those on the grounds of there being serious issues with the game. Leave it at "default".

I would think the fact that ZDoom is not even technically Doom-compatible would be a more serious issue than the perceived additional degree of "brokenness" that is a result of using ZDoom's built-in options

I'm not going to pretend to know what your talking about, cause I don't. I just make it a ground rule not to fuss around with the gameplay/compatibility options unless I really have to.

Most Doom ports in the past changed some elements of the games behavior, relative to the original Vanilla Doom (i.e. the original dos engine).

Zdoom did this allot more than most other ports.

People started commenting on this and ports began to offer compatibility menu's for optionally regressing as many of these changes as possible (some of the changes ports made are too deep for the port to undo though).

ZDoom's compatibility menu is considerably larger than most other ports, a consequence of how many behavior changes it made to the original game compared to other ports.

Vermil said:

Most Doom ports in the past changed some elements of the games behavior, relative to the original Vanilla Doom (i.e. the original dos engine).

Zdoom did this allot more than most other ports.

People started commenting on this and ports began to offer compatibility menu's for optionally regressing as many of these changes as possible (some of the changes ports made are too deep for the port to undo though).

ZDoom's compatibility menu is considerably larger than most other ports, a consequence of how many behavior changes it made to the original game compared to other ports.

The thing is though, if he wants to play a game enhancing mod, why bother with compatibility anyway? And if he really did wanted a pure vanilla experience, there is Choco, Prboom+ or Dos.exes for this ;p

Ok, that makes sense considering the history of the engine. I suppose in the case of Expanded, one must tread lightly with the compatibility options.

One setting has at least been confirmed not to work:
"spawn item drops on the floor".

For those of you using compatibility options, just be careful. Expanded is best at "default" just be careful what options you chose beyond that.

Coolster said:

The thing is though, if he wants to play a game enhancing mod, why bother with compatibility anyway?

Just to be sure that everything on every map would work as it was supposed to. "Authenticity" was probably not the best word to describe it.

Hi again. I gave it a serious play (even on games it wasnt supposed to be on. Unmaker in Strife? Yes please) The sounds are indeed the only real flaw I see in this. I appreciate the effort, dont get me wrong, but some changes mess up a decade or more of "hard coded" sound recognition. Like hearing a soulsphere when I find a secret, or the aforementioned Baron death. Pickups sound off and sometimes I dont realise what ive picked up. Could there be an altmode for this with classic sounds (Well, including those hi-res versions of the classic sounds.) I do love, LOOOVE, the Berserk pack sound though :p

When I mentioned Final Doom, I wasnt sure how much you'd accounted for it. Some people like to ignore TNT for its questionable textures, or only regard the FD episodes as pwads, for example. I approve of covering all four of the Doom IWADS and not just 1 and 2.

Overall, I really enjoyed this, the new lighting alone is worth downloading, the cacodemons look amazing in dark areas for example. I do use the new Software lighting mode insted of the one recommended though. I really hope someone does the same stuff for the other games, especially with HacX getting an official remake. Might finally make people consider it a game in its own right rather than a mere TC. I dont mean you BlueFire, just you know, in general. The games all deserve the treatment you and everyone involved in this mod has shown me :D

Finally, the HUD is broken for me, and is tiny and near unreadable no
matter what settings are, as shown here

And just becuase, the Unmaker in Strife! (I cant help but want that water to do the same thing that Expanded does with liquids. Although this water in question has a current..)

Ragnor:

I'm glad your enjoying Expanded so much. I'll consider a "classic sound" version of Expanded (maybe take out the new E4 Tracks too).

It shouldn't take much, just some changes to the code and some resource removal. There's a patch though I want to put in first before I do that, and I haven't had the chance yet.

Also, be sure that under HUD Options that "Stretch Fullscreen HUD" is ON.

You have asked, I have listened.

Per suggestion of Ragnor, a "Classic Sound" version of Expanded has been released as a pack-in Extra and as a seperate release. This removes the new sounds and music from Expanded to be more faithful to the vanilla games in terms of audio presentation and to address common complaints with the sound choices for normal Expanded.

And for Da Werecat, new ACS coding has been added (with thanks to Blue Shadow) to deal with issues presented by GZDoom's Compatibility Options (mainly weapon/clip drops) to both versions of Expanded (normal and classic sound).

The official Expanded download (Expanded+CS.pk3) not only has the ACS update and Expanded_CS packed in, but all previous updates and addons (Patch 1-1, E4Fix, and DE_HUD_B+) are all present and accounted for with new downloads for the most complete Expanded experience yet.

Head to the first post of the thread to grab Expanded or the separate Classic Sound release.

Please, let me know what you think of Expanded_CS, or anything about Expanded you want to suggest or mention!

Excellent, I'll be downloading this soon...whenever HOMM3 releases my soul.

I'll be honest, I find it difficult to NOT use Expanded now. Because it doesnt change gameplay, theres no reason not to be using it for vanilla maps..

Can I ask why the waterfalls in TNT get mixed up with other things like computers? Im doing a lot of playtesting for TNT2, and I like to have this loaded at all times. Had a nasty encounter with said bug (I know you warned users in the extras, but I wanted to see it for myself), where I quit the game, turned off the waterfall, then found I couldnt load my game anymore without it :/

Would it also be possible to integrate the Plutonia falls with the Plutonia lights and so forth, just to cut down on the amount of files? Sorry if that actually causes errors, just wondering. Im not exactly experienced with wad/pk3 files and how they work. (Hell, I dont even know what this load order is, I just drag and drop things onto GZDoom)

I still cant get the HUD to scale properly, and yes, the stretch option is enabled, despite not actually working. Lowering my resolution to a 4:3 one (due to Heretic/Hexen/Strife/HacX all having widescreen issues with weapons and HUDs) made it bigger and usable, but I still have to bring up the automap to see the items/kills/secrets. Wonder if its just an error on my end. I used the GZDoom Alt HUD for a while, but I like seeing the Doomguy's face, its generaly more effective at telling me "low health" than red numbers during a massive intense fight.

Can I ask why the waterfalls in TNT get mixed up with other things like computers?

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/TEXTURE1_and_TEXTURE2

Because the texture patches labeled "TYWFALL" are combined with other animated patches to increase performance for DOS vanilla Doom. As of now, I wouldn't know how to seperate the fall textures without having serious problems with Evilution. So please, don't use the Plutonia Falls addon with TNT.

Would it also be possible to integrate the Plutonia falls with the Plutonia lights and so forth, just to cut down on the amount of files?

I'll see about doing that.

As for the HUD problem, try different screen resolutions (both normal and widescreen), some seem to support the HUD better. I'm using 1600 x 900 and it's displayed correctly.

Released a new standalone Extra on the first post.

It's a combination of the Plutonia Brightmaps and warped falls into a single wad. This can be used to replace the originally seperate wads. It's optional, and it's up to you if you want to use it for that purpose or not.

can't seem to get this to work. I get the following error: Script error, "DEFinal_CS.pk3:effects" line 705:
Unexpected token string constant "DEx - Check compat"

Running latest gzdoom with no other wads

Sorry. My mistake. I was running through skulltag instead of gzdoom. (I run everything through doomrunner with different ports).

Looks nice with psx doom. Only thing is the hud face is off center andvthere are no splash sounds in water..

I keep receiving this error when I attempt to launch the game:

Script error, "DEFinal_CS.pk3:effects" line 705:
Unexpected token string constant "DEx - Check compat"

It's the only mod I have loading.

In the full download for Expanded, there is listed under the "Extras" folder a file called DELite.pk3. It's more likely to work with the TC as there's far less conflicting resources.

BlueFireZ88 said:

Like Blue Shadow asked:

Are you using GZDoom 1.7.0?

Oops. Should have read. No I wasn't. Didn't realize there was a new version. I downloaded it. It works now. Thanks.

Thanks for the combined Plutonia lights + falls file, hopefully a TNT version will be possible eventually.

By the way, when I do load up TNT, I get a missing brightmap message during the wall of loading text. Still runs fine, but im guessing something is missing somewhere?

Excellent :D

I love the frequent support for this.

Would you mind if I asked for an addition in the future? With the great mix of PS1 sounds with PC sounds for the monsters, I found it odd that the "corpse crushed under a door or crusher" sound wasnt implemented. Could this be added at some point? I know its incredibly minor, but yeah.

Fisk said:

ZDoom is not even technically Doom-compatible

hahahaha

BlueFireZ88 said:

Because the texture patches labeled "TYWFALL" are combined with other animated patches to increase performance for DOS vanilla Doom.

Performances have nothing to do with it. The textures were combined together because it was the only vanilla way to get more variety in animated textures, since the list of animations is hardcoded.

A fixed version for the TNT Brightmaps can be downloaded on the first post under the Extras section. All new downloads of the complete Expanded zip (Expanded+CS.zip) has been updated with the Plutonia BM/Fall addon and the TNT BM fix.

The current Expanded+CS.zip on the first post is the most up to date collection of ALL Expanded content to date. As I've been doing, for those who have downloaded Expanded already, I'll try and released updated content separately if I can. Otherwise, it'll be under the main download as stated.\

I'm only stating this to clarify how I'm going about updating Expanded so there's no confusion on releases. And I know updates since it's release have been very frequent, and I can understand that it can get annoying to have to download the same thing more than once or twice. I'm trying to not make this an inconvenience to those who want to enjoy or even try Expanded. If this has been bothersome to you in any way, then I'm sorry, I'm just trying to keep my mod and it's additional content as fixed and up to date as possible in a timely manner.

Gez: Could it be possible to separate the patches for waterfalls from the other animations without having to edit the levels themselves? If not, then what I've presented is as good as it gets.