Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueFireZ88

Doom Expanded Final [RELEASE]

It's certainly been awhile since I posted anything on my mod, Expanded, but now there's a new patch available.

The 1.4 Patch fixes a problem and adds a new feature (for Normal and Classic Sound Expanded):
-Single sprites have been fixed for palette issues (noticed this while trying Expanded out with the mod, Back to Saturn X).
-Added a humming sound to lamps and light columns.

Its not much, but it pretty much caps off the problems with the mod. Besides these, there really isn't any other problems I can see. If there are still some problems, please let me know.

The 1.4 patch is on the first post separately, but new full downloads of Expanded (and all addons) have been updated with the patch too.

Enjoy!

The new version still has the faulty TNT brightmaps from 2011 included. Also, why am I getting double ammo drops? Its throwing off game balance :(

Its the same bug you fixed before, I think you accidentally left it out of the newest version, as the TNT brightmaps are dated 2011. When you load up TNT with the brightmaps, as its loading you'll see an error in the log about a missing brightmap or something like that, SWGSTONE I think?

Really want to try this (waiting for new motherboard. stay away from 3+1 phase vrm am3 motherboards if using 6 core fx cpu or higher; and 4+1 phase too)!

Can doom guy be left handed or ambidextrous (like original Doom)? I play left handed and like doomguy that way.

EDIT:
Is there a readme that includes recommended settings for gzdoom? I'm wondering if jumping, bilinear filtering, and other settings are intended.

For making the weapons more "left hand friendly" one could use SLADE 3 and mirror the spites they're the correct orientation you wish. That'd be one of the easier ways to do it.

The settings listed for GZDoom in the README are for critical settings only. Anything not listed on that list can be changed as you please.

Another update for Expanded (which can be accessed through the full download on the first post).

New things for Expanded 1.5 are as follows:
-Fixed the brightmaps addon for TNT (not BM_TNT_F.pk3) which had an error with one of the brightmaps.
-Enemies now drop the correct amount of ammo when killed (Zombieman drops 5 bullets instead of 10, Shotgun Guy drops 4 instead of 8, and Commando drops 10 instead of 20).
-New vanilla style help screen (based off the old Expanded titlepic replacement) is now accessible via F1 or from the main menu in ALL Doom games ("Read This!").
-Fixed a missing fist attack sound in the Classic Sound version.

Enjoy!

Found these brightmap errors while testing a TNT2 map. I dont know if these are Doom 1, 2 or TNT textures, but I had the TNT2 texture wad, an older TNT2 test wad, Expanded normal and the TNT brightmaps loaded.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Screenshot_Doom_20130209_162241_zps8d43b679.png

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Screenshot_Doom_20130209_161156_zpsb8824098.png

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Screenshot_Doom_20130209_161421_zpse7e869fc.png

Sorry for the delay regarding an answer, but the reason the brightmaps aren't working with TNT2, is because they use different switch textures than vanilla TNT. Anyway...

Expanded's 1.6 version is now available on the first post.

Updates:
-Original Super Shotgun reimplemented and Expanded version is now and addon (see Extras.txt)
-New text for normal HUD and new small text.
-Several sound tweaks
-Soulsphere original sound restored, Megasphere has Doom 3 sound.
-Secret sound is simplified.
-New sound for bullet pickups.
-New sounds for gibs (in extention to blood sounds).
-New humming sounds for lamps.

IMPORTANT!!!

I have an announcement regarding Expanded. 1.6 will be the absolute final release of the mod, as to date there are no more issues to really address. I've been working on this for nearly two years now, and I'm grateful for the people who helped out along the way. Thanks for playing Expanded, I hope it can inspire newer Doom players to explore their own talents as mod makers.

I Think the Episode 4 map fixes were nice to have for source ports other then GZDoom that can't run Doom Expanded.

The "Thy Flesh Consumed" content is a available on the first post! Let me know if there's anything else you want posted out front.

Thanks! Probably too much to ask, but is there any chance of getting a Vanilla compatible version of Doom Expanded?

Thanks for all the support for this. Next: Chex Quest Expanded! Go head to head with Brutal Chex! :p

Cire: Vanilla compatible? Please elaborate.

Ragnor: I started this project WAAAAYYY back in early 2011, and only recently I can call it quits.

In terms of being a developer, I'm done with this sort of thing, I'm pretty burnt out with this project, and I'd like to move on to simpler ones. I do appreciate all of the support you and others have given me, but I'm ready to move on.

So sorry, no Chex Quest Expanded here. Besides a couple of things, I wouldn't really know what to do with it anyway.

Yeah, I mean a version of Doom Expanded that doesn't require GZDoom and preferably works with the original Doom exe or Chocolate Doom. Doom Expanded is great for GZDoom, but I like to use other ports sometimes :).

The Chex thing was a joke due to the surprise announcement of Brutal Chex (I never believed anyone would seriously develop for it), you've already mentioned this was the last thing like this :p

While I would love the other games to get their own Expanded versions, its for someone else to do.

And as for my own support: My brother's birthday is today, and he got a new computer. I'm sticking Doom Expanded on it, due to how impressed he was with it on my laptop. I'll make a Doomer out of him yet!

Don't count on it for really any gameplay mod out there, everything in Expanded and similar projects are based on features from the ZDoom source port and it's OpenGL counterpart, GZDoom. The original exe and chocolate (which emulates it) doesn't support those kinds of features.

If you want something more in line with vanilla Doom gameplay with only a few minor enhancements, Expanded Lite (which is packed in with normal Expanded), might help, only with ZDoom I'm afraid.

No prob, Cire.

Ragnor:

I would very much like to see gameplay mods be made in future, there's plenty of potential left untapped.

Tell your brother I said happy birthday and to enjoy Expanded! :)

Hi again, just wanted to ask, is there any reason why Doom Expanded is said to require GZDoom? I played a bit with regular ZDoom and it seems to work fine.