Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueFireZ88

Doom Expanded Final [RELEASE]

Is it possible to run this with Zandronum?
I always get the message
Script error, "DEFinal.pk3:mapinfo" line 12:
Intermission: Unknown top level keyword
When I'm trying to play it.

You'll have to wait for Zanders to catch up with ZDoom 2.6.0. Right now, the development build codebase is nearly at 2.5.0 (and the official version is still at 2.3.1).

In the meantime, you can try commenting out the Intermission block in DEFinal's MAPINFO, and see if there are any other issue beyond that.

Know its been a while, but here's what I see,

Line 12 in the base MAPINFO in Expanded is the basic Cast Call info. This was in there to fix the sequence at the end of Doom 2 (and the like) because I noticed there were sprite issues.

I'm not sure if there's an equivalent in Zandronum in order for this fix to be kept.

Sorry for the bump. I know this is already the final version, but I was wondering if it would be possible, or maybe someone else already did it, if there could be a version with black gloves?

I really love this btw. Recently got back into playing doom and been using this for everything I play now.

A bump in this case is good, its reaching more people. I havent seen the creator around in a long time, pretty sure hes REALLY busy with life stuff, likely the usual education kind. If he does eventually se this though, some people ARE intrested in Expanded versions for other IWADs (And yes, they would do it themselves), they wanted to know if you were okay with sharing the Expanded name.

I still use this heavily on computers that can run it (with DE Lite for this one) and advertise the hell out of it, its almost the perfect mod for me. If I could change it in any way I would make the warping liquids optional (this conflicts with a LOT of wads with custom textures) and have a version of DE Lite with the new sounds (Originally I found the sounds off, but I since grew to really appreciate how EVERY mnonster sounds truly unique, you can always tell whats around the corner, whats getting hurt, etc). As its name implies, it really is regular Doom expanded in all the right ways, no gameplay is touched.

Brewtal Legend: Wouldnt black gloves be just a bit too far from the aim of Doom Expanded? That would also require changing a whole lot of sprites.

Appreciate the bump, I've never heard of this before and it looks to be a very interesting newschool-style mod. Downloading now.

More like a mix of both old and new ;]

There isnt a single person I've recommended this to that doesn't love it yet

Running in the 90's said:

holy ..I didn't realize this thread was old. None the less it really should get out there more. I know I'll definitely be using it a lot when casting doom.

Its especially good for playing old classics that normally look quite dated. Its amazing what the new lighting and so forth in Expanded can do. It also naturally goes beautifully with anything that uses stock IWAD textures (I wonder if anyone can play Hellbound map 29's full version without slowdown with this loaded? :D)

Ragnor said:

More like a mix of both old and new ;]

There isnt a single person I've recommended this to that doesn't love it yet

Its especially good for playing old classics that normally look quite dated. Its amazing what the new lighting and so forth in Expanded can do. It also naturally goes beautifully with anything that uses stock IWAD textures (I wonder if anyone can play Hellbound map 29's full version without slowdown with this loaded? :D)

I didn't realize it could work with wads. I tried it with a Oblige wad and it seemed to work. Good stuff! :D

It works best with classic wads that dont change too many textures. TCs and partial TCs are incompatible, naturally.

It will work wonders with any wad that uses the stock textures and stock monster set, and SHOULD be mostly compatible with anything that doesn't alter the liquid flats and textures. I had to stop using it during TNT2 betatesting because it replaced waterfalls with bloodfalls, which led to some funny bug reports..

I've taken it upon myself to make a version with black gloves and a couple other very minor tweaks/changes.

I'm using the black gloves from this:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32628

Chainsaw is giving me a little trouble though.

I've never really done much editing or modding before so I'm kinda figuring it out as I go. Only tried once a few years ago and haven't tried since.

Yes, I am alive and well, and as Ragnor pointed out, busy as hell.

But this mod ain't dead. I actually have been bug testing it in Feb, and I think it should improve on some aspects (like having fast demons in Nightmare! back). Doom Retro inspired me to try and get mirrored death animations in there and it's been taking a while to do. Some monsters are easy to do this for, others are not.

The point being, I'm glad that people who've had a chance to play this enjoy it for what it is. If people want to make their own addons for Expanded, go for it. Honestly, I fell kinda honored.

Once I get back into full swing development, I'll be sure to take into of the various issues brought up here (like with Expanded Lite, for example).

Brewtal_Legend: The chainsaw idle sprites were ones used (with Z86's permission) from the Particle Enhancer mod. The fire animations were vanilla recreations of the ones from Brutal Doom. I hope this info can help.

Nice to hear you and the mod are both alive and well :p

Two features I strongly request are the liquid warping to be seperate modules like the TNT and Plutonia modules (This alone is what messes up a large amount of PWADs, Perditions Gate notably included), and DE Lite to have a version that uses the new sounds (Ironic, early on I found the new sounds weird and throwing things off, hence why Classic Sound version exists, I eventually realised the merits of each and every monster being very unique in its sounds, you always know exactly whats nearby)

Expanded versions for other Doom Engine games would require so much work, what would the best starting point be for other people? Brightmaps, particle effects, warping effects and sprite fixes would be the best start point I think. Strife Expanded ironically has the most interest, weird given its the most unloved and unplayed DE game.

I managed to get the chainsaw in there. Although the wad I was taking black glove sprite from didn't have as many animations and was missing the animations for bringing the chainsaw down, I had to play with the existing ones by playing with the positioning and trying to shrink them a little in ms paint. Not quite as nice as the original z86 one.

I didn't post it cause I wasn't sure if it was ok. Now I'm just trying to change the cacodemon projectile to the one from legacy of suffering and tweak the blood a little more. I got the splats on the wall the way I want, but the blood is much darker than the gibs so it looks a little funny.

Here are my thoughts on it.

Chainsaw seems fine to me, I didn't notice any real issues with the animation. There are sprites for the chainsaw in the original mod as well as in vanilla doom, so if your looking to perfect this, they're there.

No Unmaker black gloves? IDKFA and hit 8 to see what your missing.

Don't think you needed to copy the entire mod for this to work. Probably only needed the sprites to be replaced, otherwise it would work fine.

Other than that, its pretty good addon for Expanded. Color me impressed, eh? Eh? Nevermind, bad pun.

BlueFireZ88 said:

Here are my thoughts on it.

Chainsaw seems fine to me, I didn't notice any real issues with the animation. There are sprites for the chainsaw in the original mod as well as in vanilla doom, so if your looking to perfect this, they're there.

No Unmaker black gloves? IDKFA and hit 8 to see what your missing.

Don't think you needed to copy the entire mod for this to work. Probably only needed the sprites to be replaced, otherwise it would work fine.

Other than that, its pretty good addon for Expanded. Color me impressed, eh? Eh? Nevermind, bad pun.

Thanks. There aren't black gloves for the unmaker because I didn't change the glove colors myself. I just used the sprites from nightfright's smoother weapons mod which I think were made by IceyFreeze. I don't know how I would go about changing the unmaker gloves other than changing the color of the sprites pixel by pixel which I don't have enough skill with editing sprites to do I think.

Also, looks like I left the alternate blood decals in whichc are a bit darker than the gibs and blood spots. Any way to make the gibs and blood spots darker other than changing each pixel?

really fine mod. i'm using it as my standard graphical enhancement, together with ketchupmod and palplus.

at least for enhancing less difficult wads graphically. the more action there is, the harder it becomes to see through all those smoke puffs and particle effects, so i deselect DE then. at least, i get easily visibility problems, and find plain vanilla fireballs easier to dodge.

anyway, i would just like a more powerful chaingun sound. it happened several times that a chaingunner almost killed me because i could't hear him shooting at me with all that growling around, and that's despite using headphones.

Seriously? That chaingun sounds awesome and makes all play without it dull. I thoroughly enjoy using the chaingun in DE BECAUSE of how meaty it sounds. I suppose you want an over-the-top roaring minigun? :p