Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Back to Saturn X E1: 1.1.6 bugfix

I tried what you suggested with a slight mod:
I made 4 consecutive 1024 x 1024 boxes in a row with light levels 240, 255, 256, 240, I made a white flat and a white texture, I then rotated everything 45 degrees to prevent the fake contrast effect.
I checked the map in vanilla, chocolate doom 1.7, prboom-plus 2514 and zdoom 260. It all looks the same to me, I can't see any difference in light levels from any viewpoint.

marineController said:

I tried what you suggested with a slight mod:
I then rotated everything 45 degrees to prevent the fake contrast effect.

There is your problem. Full Bright automatically removes all fake contrast. 240 does not.

I've been curious about something since I first played BTSX in January.

Why is the first appearance of the hub area part of map 01 instead of being a separate map?

It establishes the presence\sens of place of the hub early on, and yeah dropping off gameplay in map02 would be jarring and uncomfortable imo.

scifista42 said:

Probably to not disgust players by a standalone map with no gameplay too early on?

Luts'z Inferno is disgusting? o_O

Tarnsman said:

There is your problem. Full Bright automatically removes all fake contrast. 240 does not.

OK I see now, I was assuming a higher brightness level or something for the sector but it's just the brightness of axis aligned walls that is affected.

Veinen's demo shows the same problem on MAP13 as has been mentioned for MAP12.
Here is a scan of the area around sector 777 in MAP13 (generated using R_PointInSubsector):

The red crosses within sector 777 are sector 331.
Monsters will disappear through the floor if they stand on these points.
It looks to me as though the nodebuilder you used for maps 12 and 13 has created this problem.

For fans of the BTSX soundtrack:

I've created a YouTube playlist with 12 of my favorite midis I've composed for the BTSX soundtrack, including a whole bunch of never-before-heard songs from episodes 2 and 3. (Spoilers!)

More info here: http://essel.spork-chan.net/2013/08/new-music-back-to-saturn-x-midis/

Direct link to the playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5y5TghBNmY2yNVCWPc5SuDp6_9nDVVBr

You can also find a lot of Jimmy's BTSX midis, along with other music, on his music site: http://jimmy.the-powerhouse.net/MIDI/Projects/In-Progress/Back%20to%20Saturn%20X/ (check the parent directory for other projects!)

esselfortium said:
(You can also find a lot of Jimmy's BTSX midis on his YouTube channel, albeit played with terrible soundfonts that horribly butcher his songs.)

It's only fair that the person who made Within Reach should be the person who breaks it.

esselfortium said:

For fans of the BTSX soundtrack:

I've created a YouTube playlist with 12 of my favorite midis I've composed for the BTSX soundtrack, including a whole bunch of never-before-heard songs from episodes 2 and 3. (Spoilers!)

More info here: http://essel.spork-chan.net/2013/08/new-music-back-to-saturn-x-midis/

Direct link to the playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5y5TghBNmY2yNVCWPc5SuDp6_9nDVVBr

(You can also find a lot of Jimmy's BTSX midis on his YouTube channel, albeit played with terrible soundfonts that horribly butcher his songs.)

wow. just listening to "toybox", reminds me of those toyboxes that play a song when you open them, something about a fairy tale? some tracks are amazing.

BTSX is so shit that the only way to play it is while taking a shit. It like grounds you so the terribleness of the wad can safely pass through your body.

This wad contains a DBIGFONT lump stripped of kerning information so that the
main menu items would at least display, although not properly positioned, in
ZDaemon. It also containes a fixed MAPINFO lump that gets properly parsed in
ZDaemon; the main effect this has is that proper wider sky textures are used.

USAGE: This wad needs to be loaded as another pwad after the btsx wad for it to have any effect.

NOTE: The issue with kerning has been fixed for the next release of ZDaemon.

Download: btsx_e1_99i9_zdfix.zip

Not sure if it's been mentioned before since I just got up but a buddy of mine found a few problems. He's going through with PrBoom+ in pure error mode to try catching more but for now what he found is a missed backside on get out of my stations 2 (map16); linedef 82 has two-sided flag set but no second sidedef. He says it's a non-fatal error but it causes demo desyncs.

Will report more as they're found.

Edit: MOAR STUFF

MAP 22
Gonna Never Have To Die: MISSEDBACKSIDE, linedef 1051 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef. Desyncs if you try playing a demo recorded there.

spechit overflow in map22, at the megahealth switch in the water. list of lineid leading to overrun: 1363, 1364, 1365, 1366, 4903, 4918, 1359, 1360, 1361.

Potentially fatal in Vanilla. Don't know for sure so someone please test.

Map 24
Hall of mirrors on the floor at the lift of map24: tough skin river.
Possibly missing texture just before that.

No Name Map (Possibly the ending?)
Missed backside on the ending, linedef 337 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef

This mapset threw me back to vanilla settings, no mouse look, no gameplay mods, software mode, I'm even playing on 640x480 resolution and it still looks amazing.

I thought it was going to be one of those insanely hard wads, but I'm having a fair and fun run so far, currently on map 05 on HMP. Great job :)

Well, I didn't go in that teleporter and went through the door to the exit.

That thing is actually fixed in the internal RC, has been for ages. We're waiting for a bunch of tweaks now... for a few months. I wonder, maybe it would be better to release yet another RC instead of the final version, because at least the map17 changes still seem far off (throw rotten bananas at essel now).

The fact this got bumped without a new release annoys me to no end, but at least some new official info was obtained.

Brewtal_Legend said:

any chance that there is a separate wad containing the palette from this that can be used in the original levels or other wads kinda like svitgar's palplus wad?

BTSX's palette isn't compatible with the stock Doom palette due to the extensive modifications, so it can't be just dropped into an existing wad without causing graphical glitches. (Try loading BTSX with a stock Doom 2 map to see what I mean.)

After E3 comes out there will be a public resource release, but until then please refrain from using the palette or other art assets. Thanks!

Ok, thanks. I was just curious. It's a really cool palette and just wanted to see if it could be used for general play. Wasn't trying to use it in a project or anything.

Anyway, great wad.

Hey.

Hey you.

When's version 1 coming out? :o :o :o :o :o

I want to record demos on the final version D: D: D: D: D:

^ Hey. Hey you. You're impatient...

"Good things come to those who wait." ;)

I'm not in the BTSX team, but my guess would be that final versions of episodes 1 and 2 will only come after the initial version of episode 3 is released.