Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Back to Saturn X E1: 1.1.6 bugfix

Speaking of solo-net, though the single-player campaign was built for vanilla, coop in BTSX was designed for play under a modern port with survival rules. As such, if you're doing solo-net, you might want to run Doom2+ or another limit-removing port to avoid the risk of archvile-induced VPOs :)

I was playing this with Brutal Doom and noticed something odd. I went into it with slade and there's a bunch of Doom IWAD stuff in it. Any reasons?

Edit: realized it was because of the new palette. Just loading Brutal Doom afterwards fixes it.

BlackFish said:

I was playing this with Brutal Doom and noticed something odd.

Read the text you basrad

I went into it with slade and there's a bunch of Doom IWAD stuff in it. Any reasons?

The palette modifications are extensive enough to have required a palette remapping of Doom's sprites. There's not much that could have been done about this without either making major sacrifices to BTSX's visual fidelity or allowing monsters to have random dots of colors all over them.

Wow, and I was just saying on the Cacoward nominations how I'd love for this to be released today and how the chances of that happening were almost nonexistant. Time to eat my words.

Now I see what Essel meant by it being a "really really big megawad". 24 levels, and this is only the first of three episodes, Wow!

I've only played the first four levels and already I'm amazed with how it looks so far. I'm getting the same kind of excitement I got when I played Alien Vendetta or Eternal Doom for the first time. Great visuals, and great gameplay to boot!

pizzabob18 said:

Now I see what Essel meant by it being a "really really big megawad". 24 levels, and this is only the first of three episodes, Wow!

Well it's technically three megawads. But you know, details.

Aw shit my demo is crazy out of sync. WTFODAMEX

Wow. I want to extend a sincere thanks to everyone involved in this project. BTSX is the most beautiful wad I've ever encountered. The use of color is astonishing. From my experience so far, it managed to make me feel nostalgic at points, while at other times giving me the sense that I was playing a completely new game. This more than makes up for the missing Cacowards.

Csonicgo said:

If you play this with vanilla doom, you'll need to DEUSF it. If you don't, you will get lots of errors.

You shouldn't need to do that, actually, assuming we didn't mess up. :\

Here's an FDA from map01 to 13. I kept my weapons and didn't die, but after about three hours I quit at the start of map14.

I thought it was fuckin cool! But why did you remove the level number from the automap level names? Double Impact did that too. I wanna know what level number I'm playing.

When we do another update (probably in a few days, assuming nothing massively gamebreaking is found in the meantime) there'll probably be a bex patch so that any Boom-compatible ports can get the full map names and numbers.

TimeOfDeath said:

I thought it was fuckin cool! But why did you remove the level number from the automap level names? Double Impact did that too. I wanna know what level number I'm playing.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's because of the string limit in the deh format. Those map number bits (MAP:01, etc) can be used to fit longer map names.

I've just returned from playing through the first three maps and dying on the fourth. Here's my first impression:

This might be the best Vanilla WAD I've ever played. I feel like a guy who is kind of into classical music who has just listened to Mozart for the first time. It's WADs like this that reaffirm my love and respect for Doom.

The level design is intricate and excellent, full of areas that feel three-dimensional in more ways than just architecture. Rarely do I feel like I'm enjoying the exploration as much as I did here.

The atmosphere somehow made me feel emotionally invested in a way I almost never feel playing Doom. I felt this strange sadness and unease deep within me while playing, no doubt due to help by my next point.

The music in this WAD is jaw-dropping. The trance style really added to this set. Unlike most WADs which have very hardcore action music, this WAD has a slightly more methodical approach to music, which almost gave me a feeling of zen as I played. I got into the beats and rhythms in a way that I think actually made me play better.

I will definitely be playing more of this soon! Bravo!

I'm a few maps in; great stuff so far. However, the zeroes on the hud keep throwing me off. While playing and glancing at the hud, they look like 8s.

For anyone playing this in vanilla Doom: Please setup it to use Sound Canvas music emulation (at SETUP.EXE/Choose music card). OPL Midi just won't do justice to the tracks composed for this wad.

I forgot to mention that in the textfile. I can't speak for the other musicians' thoughts on this, but my tracks were definitely intended for playback with Sound Canvas sounds or similar (Windows Midi, or QuickTime, or whatever). OPL breaks them pretty hilariously, and GMWeeds3 or similar "enhanced" soundfonts manage to sound even worse, really muddying things up badly. In my personal opinion this applies to all the music in the wad, but YMMV.

Mechadon said:

I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's because of the string limit in the deh format. Those map number bits (MAP:01, etc) can be used to fit longer map names.

Exactly this. I still had to squeeze some names down despite the extra space, but most of them were fittable in some form or fashion once the map number was nixed. Figured it was worth the sacrifice in this case.

The embedded DEHACKED could do well as a BEX, though, since IIRC the only ports that do embedded DEH are Boom-compatible anyway (correct me if I'm wrong here). Except Choco and Hacx 1.2, I guess. ;P

Only played the first 5 levels for now but what I've seen so far is exceptional and quite possibly the best wad I've ever played.

Excellent work.

Xaser said:

Exactly this. I still had to squeeze some names down despite the extra space, but most of them were fittable in some form or fashion once the map number was nixed. Figured it was worth the sacrifice in this case.

imo, the number is more important than the name, so the name should be sacrificed. The number actually means something for cleving and knowing how far into the wad you are. The name is just fluff.

btw, my fda was done without any sound, for extra coolness (my internet computer doesn't have a sound card).

Speak for yourself, TimeOfDeath. I prefer not to know how far in the WAD I am, how many monsters are left and so on. I prefer to be immersed.

TimeOfDeath said:

btw, my fda was done without any sound, for extra coolness (my internet computer doesn't have a sound card).

but you're missing all the awesome music. :(

this is unadulterated awesomeness. Wow, you could just add onto the end of the thread title "Merry Christmas everyone!!", I will play this in more depth when I have a little extra time to take in this episode :)

Hey guys I requested BTSX to be hosted on Grandvoid (Zandronum) so they've put it on I'll be playing tonight for a while if anyone wants to come play through this.

esselfortium said:

I forgot to mention that in the textfile. I can't speak for the other musicians' thoughts on this, but my tracks were definitely intended for playback with Sound Canvas sounds or similar (Windows Midi, or QuickTime, or whatever). OPL breaks them pretty hilariously, and GMWeeds3 or similar "enhanced" soundfonts manage to sound even worse, really muddying things up badly. In my personal opinion this applies to all the music in the wad, but YMMV.

I'm using CGM3 via BASSMIDI, and so far the midis sound so magical I thought they were MOD music files for a moment.

Pottus said:

Hey guys I requested BTSX to be hosted on Grandvoid (Zandronum) so they've put it on I'll be playing tonight for a while if anyone wants to come play through this.

Cool. It was optimized for survival without respawning items, I should note, though if you've got 5-8 players you'll probably want double ammo enabled.

Ya that server has double ammo on, I was trying to get through the first map but ended up getting raped by three archviles past the blue door! One other thing I noticed I'm assuming this is caused by the palette is in Zandronum when you shoot walls the GL light effect is green instead of yellowish it's most prevalent when you shoot the water.

One more thing this is the only thing I didn't like so far.

The texture has really poor transition horizontally just going to suggest to make a few more textures to improve areas like this it's pretty minor but I thought I would point it out.
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2127/screenshotdoom201212102.png

Edit - Still no joiners, I guess everyone is playing with themselves!