Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Back to Saturn X E1: 1.1.6 bugfix

Just had a quick gothrough to see what was different. The new map 19 looks great, and seems pretty challenging. It's nice to see such an open ended map. Also, I love the new epilogue. After this, I can't wait to play E2!

Grain of Salt said:

They're Guided By Voices song titles.

I feel like this has probably been mentioned a few times already.

Yes, everywhere except in the text files. Hint hint. So many improvements, but missing that one little detail...! ;)

Basicly the DoomGuy is so experienced with fighting bilions of hellspawn, so the fighting is no longer a challenge to him and he listen to music on his iPad 91 while doing his day to day butler duties.
The map names are names of the songs which DoomGuy listen to while fighting on the maps.

Antroid said:

Don't tempt me!

I'll tempt you. You've got nothing beyond "What is this supposed to be? What's this object, why is that there?" which is clearly not the point, and barely anyone cares if a Doom environment is supposed to be quasi-realistic. Even if one does care about that particular type of immersion, it's obviously not the goal so wasn't something failed in. I'm pretty sure most in the development team tend to most highly value Doom's surrealistic qualities and unrealistic natures; if you want a base to look like a real functioning base with X room that does Y, there's plenty of modern games, not to mention misguided Doom wads and mods that claim to satiate and attempt that.

Go ahead and put your boasting where your mouth is, I don't think you have more than 5 minutes worth of clumsy faulty logic to stumble over. Especially while having to actually pay attention to the work, gameplay, etc going on in the project. Calling your bluff, buddy. Go ahead and do a full playthrough commentary.

Katamori said:

It's time to start a Let's Play commentary about this masterpiece!

Considering this is on the doomworld megawad club's list for August, feel free to post your thoughts in there :)

Antroid said:

Don't tempt me!

Why? If I know well you want to do D2TWID at the moment. ;D

Also, I rather expected quoting "It's time to start a Let's Play" than "this masterpiece", that'd make more sense for me, but I still don't get why Seele00TextOnly became so angry. At least I didn't feel that your comment would be a scolding.

cannonball said:

Considering this is on the doomworld megawad club's list for August, feel free to post your thoughts in there :)

Oh, then I have to hurry with the recodings, I think. Anyway, I'm gonna decide later about writing there. Discussion of megaWAD map by maps is a great common experience, but I don't feel the motivation to write my own reviews. I'm not a "reviewer personality", I tell my opinion only when I want - during video recording, for example.

A couple of minor issues have been noticed in the current build, including a height change erroneously blocking monsters at a door on map19, and bugged save/load graphics. There'll be a hotfix for them tonight in a few minutes.

esselfortium said:

Okay, should be fixed!

Downloach: http://essel.spork-chan.net/wasd/btsx_e1_99i9.zip

The differences between 99i8 and 99i9 are the fixed save/load screens, an erroneously monster-blocking light fixed in the new MAP19, and an updated version of MAP31's music that Jimmy sent me today has been added in.

I'm salivating, I really am. :) Once it's up and official at the new DWMC thread, I'm diving right in!

Seele00TextOnly said:

I'll tempt you.

Wow, someone's defensive. I didn't actually mean he's tempting me to do a LP (I would never finish it because I get deathly bored of this wad after 7 maps max), I was tempted to say something along the lines of "that's just disgusting". It's a bit of a joke between us at this point.

And no, you misunderstand, I don't mean that BTS-X is a bad wad by any means, but it's obviously not for me and calling it a masterpiece makes me roll my eyes, even if many, many people may view it as such and it's all opinions anyway. You also completely misunderstand my beef with the kind of design BTS-X has, I never said I want levels that attempt realism, I said I want levels that actually make use of a techbase theme by having interesting areas and things in them and not just generic levels that would easily fit any theme with a couple minutes of retexturing. A techbase map can have techbase-themed areas, like a computer area, a lab, offices, storages, some sort of production area maybe with machinery-looking decorations, maintenance crawlspace webs between walls, areas that would definitely set it apart as a techbase, all done in Doom's abstract style and still have a gameplay-friendly and flowing layout and interesting architecture. OR, a techbase level can just have random indents with monitors and cables casually sprinkled all over to busy the walls so they meet some imaginary standard of detail, and architecture that says "techbase" as much as it says "castle", "hell", "city" or "spaceship", which is to say, not much at all.

When I play a wad I'm not just looking to run around shooting monsters in levels that are easy on the eye, I'm looking to actually be interested in the environments, and BTS-X's environments are pretty boring for me, because no matter how long I play I never see an interesting area that I care to give more than a passing glance to, despite being well-crafted and obviously having a consistent style (which I don't like, that's the point). And I've seen all the levels, even if not beat them.

So next time before overreacting at least try to understand the position that you're attempting to challenge, k? And also try to have some logic of your own if you're accusing me of having it faulty. Just because you call some wad that actually attempts to realize a theme it's using "misguided" doesn't make it true, and having thematically weak levels isn't the only right way to make doom maps, no matter how hard you believe that, because there simply isn't one.

Antroid said:

Wow, someone's defensive. I didn't actually mean he's tempting me to do a LP (I would never finish it because I get deathly bored of this wad after 7 maps max), I was tempted to say something along the lines of "that's just disgusting". It's a bit of a joke between us at this point.

Oh lol, then it seems that I misunderstood you. Also, there aren't any problem with that if you feel that BTSX is not for you. I feel thesame with Memento Mori.

Katamori said:

I feel thesame with Memento Mori.

From what I played of that, it wasn't for me either :P

I'm genuinely disappointed that I'll never be able to watch an Antroid/Katamori co-commentary on BTSX in which Antroid reassures me that they're terrible maps while Katamori reassures me that I'm a terrible person. That would satisfy all of my needs.

That won't happen, if nothing else, because I don't actually think the maps are terrible - don't think I ever said THAT, exactly. They are just contrary to my tastes in doom maps. Of course, I could just go through the mapset with noclip and whine about how it's all boring to me and about every single instance of illogical detail or generic un-techbase architecture, but that would be tiresome. :P

Ahhh, the irony...essel, you made my day. Anyway, I don't think that you are a terrible person, I'm sorry if I said thing that made you make this consequence, even though I don't know which of my sentences brought

Of course I don't agree with some things that you've done (mostly Sergeant Mark-related) but I don't doubt neither your importance in the community nor the quality of your submissions. (music, maps, etc.)

Antroid said:

Of course, I could just go through the mapset with noclip and whine about how it's all boring to me and about every single instance of illogical detail or generic un-techbase architecture, but that would be tiresome. :P

mlyp

cannonball said:

He's not the only one who will consider it once I finish my standard walkthrough of Concerned and possibly others things.

However, I don't think that I'm gonna start it in August. I don't dare since the whole WAD is so long D:

Just reporting a couple of problems I have noticed with MAP12 (i9):
A couple of times sector 309 didn't raise (maybe I skipped the line) but it happened at least twice.
Also monsters have been falling into sector 1149, I can supply a demo of this if needed.

Also can you explain why you think 256 is the highest light level, from what I can gather 240 seems to be the highest discernible light level.

Make an all white texture and an all white flat. Then make two 1024 x 1024 boxes with them. Make one 255 and one 256. Load it up in vanilla and observe the difference. Zdoom makes 255 = 256 and IIRC PRBOOM does too.