Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Back to Saturn X E1: 1.1.6 bugfix

Feniks said:

The first map is way too long and complex for me. It also contains a lot of nukage and the secrets are really tricky. Well, I found only one, even though I desperately humped a lot of walls.

One of the secrets require shooting a panel to open it. There's a green armor behind the radsuit, a corridor across nukage that leads to the outside and a teleporter to a soulsphere, and another teleporter which is revealed by shooting a panel in a different room.

Beginner said:

Awkward 100% kills solo-net demos for version 99d with -complevel 2.

that was entertaining, i'm glad solo-net works as UV Deluxe difficulty.

dew said:

care to mention some megawad map01's with particularly memorable architecture, clever puzzles or nasty traps? i'm genuinely interested, because most openers tend to be rather brief and easy intros. actually... the ssg trap in btsx_e1 map01 is overwhelmingly nasty for a map01. and i really like the impressive look of the BK courtyard.

Icarus, Eternal Doom, CC3, and TNT2 (if it counts) all come to mind. I think a Map01 can also be really good without these qualities if it's quick introduction to the megawad's style that pumps you up for what's to come. I didn't mention this in my previous posts because it's irrelevant; this wad's Map01 takes a relatively long time.

Also, where did I say anything about "nasty traps"?

100% kills isn't possible in MAP20.

After unlocking the exit, finding all secrets, and picking up all items, there were still two monsters eluding me. Running around everywhere while punching the air to wake up any lazybone didn't change anything, so I cheated a bit to see where the two uncooperative victims-to-be were hiding.

Looking in the editor, I see their holding sectors have 0 height. Of course they're stuck! The door cannot open (in fact, it'll close more, as it'll move to 8 below its current height) and so they can't teleport. They also can't move anyway since they're stuck.

Thanks for the report. It's a known issue, though -- it's been fixed since .99e, I believe, and so all should be well in the next release.

Gez said:

100% kills isn't possible in MAP20.

Looking in the editor, I see their holding sectors have 0 height. Of course they're stuck! The door cannot open (in fact, it'll close more, as it'll move to 8 below its current height) and so they can't teleport. They also can't move anyway since they're stuck.

This was actually reported by dew on the btsx forum on Oct 21. Obviously slipped through the net.

Esselfortium said:

Thanks for the report. It's a known issue, though -- it's been fixed since .99e, I believe, and so all should be well in the next release.

Just checked. No. Still not fixed.

Beginner said:

I dunno why sectors 532, 89, 47 have tag 1, that makes them behave like lifts after you activate linedef 176.

Which map is this in reference to? Doesn't seem to relate to MAP12.

traversd said:

Which map is this in reference to? Doesn't seem to relate to MAP12.

It was map31, forgot to mention it in previous post.

I'm sure this has been caught already but I didn't see any discussion about it. There's a texture misalignment in map10 concerning corner pillars with the UAC logo on it.

http://imgur.com/eqfhl,Di4xZ#1

I've been really enjoying this (slowly). Map11's music had some rather fancy parts that sounded like it was out of a Dream Theater album. Definitely one of the better soundtracks in a megawad.

Can you remove the health bonuses from MAP22? It's not like they can be grabbed without idclip, and they aren't visible from the playable area of the map, so all they do is enforce a 0% items.

Finished with awkward solo-net 100% kills demos for this wad.
On map19 imps somehow can trick everything including player and drop and stuck in floor like this.
I noticed some floating armor bonuses and medikit on map21.
Also I wonder what causes this but it's annoying as hell to see ceiling and floor and nothing else(don't count HUD and weapon sprite) sometimes just because you decided to look into the wall while standing close to it.
I don't know if it caused by not-so-big collection of wads I've ever played or just by wad itself but I've enjoyed this mapset.

Are we supposed to exploit arch-vile jumps to get out of the normally playable area in MAP23 if we want 100% items?

Beginner said:

On map19 imps somehow can trick everything including player and drop and stuck in floor like this.

verified, looks like a node error. i couldn't trigger it after rebuilding nodes.

I noticed some floating armor bonuses and medikit on map21.

verified, most of them are triggered by stuff done on the other side of the map, which is why so many were ovelooked. medkit t.67, shells t.161, medkit t.206, clip t.701 and the whole goddamn helmet line t.435-441 (except one, heh). all need to be moved from walls a little.

Also I wonder what causes this but it's annoying as hell to see ceiling and floor and nothing else(don't count HUD and weapon sprite) sometimes just because you decided to look into the wall while standing close to it.

i don't even know what the hell this bug is, so i have no idea how to start verifying this. :)

I don't know if it caused by not-so-big collection of wads I've ever played or just by wad itself but I've enjoyed this mapset.

your playthrough was also quite helpful for squashing occassional bugs, so thank you!

Gez said:

Are we supposed to exploit arch-vile jumps to get out of the normally playable area in MAP23 if we want 100% items?

yeah, it's easter eggish, but tango didn't want the items there to upset balance of the main area, so no ammos or fancy healths.

Man, I find it really cool that even despite how long and detailed these levels can seem, it is still very viable to just speed through and go quick. It's great fun however you play it.

I got through the first 7 maps on HMP in 13 minutes on my second run.

esselfortium said:
I didn't write them all down, leave me alone :P

Spotted the following:

• A lift at the beginning is has now connected with the rest by three sides
  • Different look of the starting area
  • An arch-vile (thing 348) now cannot be skipped :-/
  • A twisted path to the door leading to the BFG (it is now semi-hidden)
  • A switch at the end instead of a W1 exit line

vdgg said:

Spotted the following:

• A lift at the beginning is has now connected with the rest by three sides
  • Different look of the starting area
  • An arch-vile (thing 348) now cannot be skipped :-/
  • A twisted path to the door leading to the BFG (it is now semi-hidden)
  • A switch at the end instead of a W1 exit line

-The 3D ledges were all altered a bit to try and work better with most engines.
-Red & blue key atriums had a couple of overflows make it through the first release so they were changed slightly.
-t348 can be skipped (at least should be).
-number of visual tweaks in the cavern and starting area.
-a few changes to # of monsters and how traps work etc.
-also you can now exit the exit area.

Absolutely outstanding so far! That being said, there is a spot in map 06 that is impassible that probably shouldn't be. I need to use idclip to access the boxes of rockets, both in the closet and the floating box above as seen here. You can also see the yellow trim going through the floor which also does the same thing on the other side of the room, which I didn't bother showing. This may have been addressed but I didn't see it, so I feel special. Thanks for being masters of the craft. By far my favorite WIP ever.

http://i.imgur.com/G67dy.jpg

Just finished this, excellent collection of maps and nice sense of continuity throughout. I was starting to get browny-green base fatigue by the end but its all so well made and the fights so well orchestrated that I can't really fault it for that.

Looking forward to the next one

Lippeth said:

Absolutely outstanding so far! That being said, there is a spot in map 06 that is impassible that probably shouldn't be. I need to use idclip to access the boxes of rockets, both in the closet and the floating box above as seen here. You can also see the yellow trim going through the floor which also does the same thing on the other side of the room, which I didn't bother showing. This may have been addressed but I didn't see it, so I feel special. Thanks for being masters of the craft. By far my favorite WIP ever.

http://i.imgur.com/G67dy.jpg

thanks, i stumbled upon the same bug and was going to post a screenshot.

otherwise, thanks for this downloab to everyone involved. i haven't played a megawad in one rush in a while and somehow i couldn't let go of this one, it has a polished, consistent quake2-like feel, a change from the brown/green theme of both plutonia sequels i played before.

Pirx said:

it has a polished, consistent quake2-like feel

That's exactly what turned me off heh, everything is so gray/brown/black (and rarely green), there is very little color contrast. I guess the texture pack was supposed to give the levels realistic look and this is exactly why realism is bad for most games IMO. After 12 or so maps I just couldn't take it anymore and quickly skimmed through the rest of the wad. None of the maps could hold my attention for more than a few minutes, with the exception of map23 which was rather nice until I died in the mancubus trap near the exit. (probably not a very fair battle) The gameplay isn't that hot too, dunno what I was thinking when I compared this wad to AV. (map23 is pretty fun though)

While I find nothing wrong with looks because I generally don't care, gameplay up to very far in wad felt rather notably samey and therefore not too interesting for me.

Here are fdas for version e. Apparently I forgot to post them.

filesmelt.com/dl/saturn-fdas-j4.zip

j4rio said:

While I find nothing wrong with looks because I generally don't care, gameplay up to very far in wad felt rather notably samey and therefore not too interesting for me.

i'll answer this one - this wad is too easy for players of your caliber. on purpose. if you go back to mm1&2 (easier) or sc2 or av (sameish, tougher in the late parts) and play them the way you play these fda's, you'll yawn your way through as well. this is not a challenge-oriented wad, it's a traditional megawad.

you're a maxrunner and the maps do provide extra challenge if you try to maxrun them, i promise. :P the gameplay set-pieces will help you "recognize" maps with more ease. except don't demo it, the wad's not stable yet. sorry! :)