Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

Doom the Way Id Did: The Lost Episodes [v1.666]

Whew, finally posted a new version (v1.666) to /idgames.

Super-thanks to everyone who helped make this happen, and particularly to rhinoduck for the most recent batch of testing. Everything ought to be fixed up, though we all know how that statement tends to work out... :P

There may or may not be another update in the future, but for now, there's at least one semi-canon release up in proper archive-land. Whoop!

Xaser said:

Whew, finally posted a new version (v1.666) to /idgames.

But you did that three days ago...

I got the file from here, not from Doomworld's /idgames database

ANYWAY, I'll be looking forward to playing this when I get a chance.

Uh, cool.

What are we talking about?

[EDIT] aight, I think I get it -- to clarify, no, I didn't reupload a version after it hit /newstuff on the 20th. I hadn't updated the thread since then so I've done it now.

[DOUBLE-EDIT] Doomworld's /idgames is a front-end for the same /idgames FTP site you downloaded it from (i.e. gamers.org -- and other mirrors of course). It's the same file.

It's not that big of a deal... everyone has a preference on where they can download it.

So, I finally got to updating the server config and...

e3m8 is a different map than it was in 1.5, it lacks coop starts, and traps players at start (sector 20 cannot be lowered again)

...here's a coopfix I made for the servers: dtwid-le-1.666-coopfix1.zip

Yuck. I'd forgotten that the map was replaced after v1.5 so I'd mentally given it the "all clear".

I'm not really sure what to do to handle this case. I could immediately apply the fix and reupload to /idgames but there's no guarantee the fix will propagate through everywhere (and I severely dislike the notion of appending a version number to the wad filename).

There's plans for an eventual 1.7 anyway (to fix up one particular map) so the subject is relevant twice. How are hotfixes/updates for /idgames-uploaded wads supposed to work these days?

Xaser said:

How are hotfixes/updates for /idgames-uploaded wads supposed to work these days?

My guess is that in your wad's text file, you put a description of your updated wad in "Archive Maintainer" and put the directory of that wad in "Update to".

HavoX said:

My guess is that in your wad's text file, you put a description of your updated wad in "Archive Maintainer" and put the directory of that wad in "Update to".

Yeezus, I'm not a neanderthal. I know how to upload a new version; it's the what happens afterward I'm concerned with.

To clarify, I suppose, I'm more worried about things like multiplayer server updates, demos, etc. I've always just uploaded new versions without any regard for existing compatibility and want to see how many monkey wrenches that throws into the works.

Since I was a negative nanny on e6 and the beginning of e5, I thought it was worth mentioning that e5m3 made it all worth it! Kickass map, and my faith is rekindled and looking forward to more gems

https://youtu.be/yzS-MfFA01Y (still processing so quality might be poop)

Good Day, i am having a small problem with e3m8, i do not know know how to get the Mastermind out of it's hole, can someone help me please?

I don't want to minimize the other maps in the set, since there are various gems (some rough, some polished) and I'm not even halfway through the maps, but I need to isolate one in particular, "The Mourning Halls".

Maybe it's already famous I dunno, I'm out of the loop these days when it comes to new wads, but I felt obligated to give it a spotlight/review here so that maybe some other people are alerted to what is one of the most satisfying maps I've ever played.

Does someone know of a secrets guide for TWID: The Lost Episodes?

I am having a hard time finding them all and the few video playthroughs I came across on Youtube seem to be using an outdated version of the WAD.

Thanks in advance!

Most modern engines allow you to adjust the colors of the automap to allow secrets to pop out as a unique color. But yeah I gave up on trying to find secrets in my playthrough because it sucked up so much time, plus the heavy use of "intentionally misaligned textures on non-secret walls" made searching for the ones that *were* secrets an absolute hell.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Does someone know of a secrets guide for TWID: The Lost Episodes?

I am having a hard time finding them all and the few video playthroughs I came across on Youtube seem to be using an outdated version of the WAD.

Thanks in advance!

I think the ones you came across on youtube are the ones made by me. I didn't know at the time it was still being in development. I will update the playthrough sometime with the fixed maps played. I'll let you know when I have them up. Don't you worry!

I have noticed a possible oversight in the level names of DTWID-E5.wad. According to the embedded BEX patch, E5M4 (the actual slot is E1M4) is named Decayed Refinery. However, the right name is Phobos Garrison. The external DeHackEd patch DTWID-E5.deh has the right HUSTR_E1M4 string and the custom string for E1TEXT, something somehow weird because BEX format is supposed to be a more powerful format for replacing text strings.

External DeHackEd patch:

Text 21 21
E1M4: Command ControlE5M4: Phobos Garrison

Embedded BEX patch:

HUSTR_E1M4 = E5M4: Decayed Refinery

Also, names of E5M7 (E1M7) of both DTWID-E5.wad and DTWID-LE.wad differ. The LANGUAGE lump for *ZDoom based ports has the right name (Sanguine Refinery). While the ESTRINGS lump has the right name (Sanguine Refinery), it is overriden by the wrong one of EMAPINFO (Decayed Refinery). Finally, the embedded BEX patch of DTWID-E5.wad has a very different name, (Cold Steel).

DTWID-LE.wad file, LANGUAGE lump:

HUSTR_E5M7 = "E5M7: Sanguine Refinery";

DTWID-LE.wad file, ESTRINGS lump:

string _IN_NAME_E5M7 { val = "Sanguine Refinery" }

DTWID-LE.wad file, EMAPINFO lump:

levelname = E5M7: Decayed Refinery

DTWID-E5.wad file, DEHACKED lump:

HUSTR_E1M7 = E5M7: Cold Steel

DTWID-E5.deh file.

Text 22 23
E1M7: Computer StationE5M7: Sanguine Refinery

Appended.

Level name of E5M9 (actually E1M9) of DTWID-E5.wad, according to the embedded BEX patch, is wrong as well. It says Phobos Garrison instead of the right ones, Wayward Base (short version used in the external DeHackEd patch to fit the limit imposed by the original string) or Wayward Outpost.

DTWID-E5.wad file, DEHACKED lump:

HUSTR_E1M9 = E5M9: Phobos Garrison

DTWID-E5.deh file.

Text 19 18
E1M9: Military BaseE5M9: Wayward Base

Edited by Litrivin : append info about E5M9 (E1M9)

I know I'm late to the lost episode party but I was motivated by the recently published UDTWID release candidate to play through all the DTWID-LE maps. I've just finished pistol start, uvmax attempts for all maps. It took several days to play them all but I was delighted with the high quality maps in this wad, given that they are maps that didn't make the cut for DTWID. There are 55 maps in the mapset and 269 secrets, so averaging around 5 secrets per map. The final 5th episode is chock full of "final map" boss encounters. My favourite maps are e2m5, e3m7, e3m9 and the epic e4m6.

While most of the maps are bug free I did find a handful of uvmax observations/problems/bugs. In some cases I may be mistaken since my map editing skills aren't good (I used gzdoombuilder to try to confirm problems I found in game). I'd be interested if anyone can confirm or correct any of my findings below:

• e2m3: In the southeast you can see out to a soulsphere and plasma rifle in a small courtyard. There's a switch in the next room. The switch briefly opens an alcove with a teleporter. Run for the secret teleporter. The teleporter seems to be broken and doesn't take you outside to the soulsphere and plasma rifle. Maximum secrets is 6/7 (85%).
  • e2m7: There's a bug with an offmap closet with 2 barons and a cacodemon. Often, one or more of the monsters won't teleport (they are triggered when you go through one of the yellow doors). Thus 100% kills is often not possible.
  • e3m1: To the north is a teleporter pad beyond 2 secrets that is marked as a secret too. The teleporter has lines on all 4 sides that teleport you away from the area, you can't enter the teleporter sector to register the secret. Thus only 14/15 (93%) secrets is possible.
  • e3m4: Outside the blue door, walk north and action a piece of the wall to open a room with green armor, health and 2 enemies. The doorway sector is a secret but it won't register since it is too thin for the marine to step into so max secrets is 4/5 (80%).
  • e4m6: Max kills is 328/334 (98%) since 4 cacodemons are stuck in a offmap monster closet and 2 lost souls are asleep in the void.
  • e5m8: There is not enough ammo to kill the 3 cyberdemons at the end when you drop down and hit the switch, so max kills is 32/35 (91%).
  • e6m1: Maximum kills is not possible due to 11 enemies in sector type 11 ending. You don't have time to kill them all before your health drops below 11%.
  • e6m2: Maximum kills is not possible due to 15 enemies in sector type 11 ending. You don't have time to kill them all before your health drops below 11%.

I don't know if fixing up LE for maxing is a worthwhole goal given how long it has been finished

Just now, Marcaek said:

I don't know if fixing up LE for maxing is a worthwhole goal given how long it has been finished

I agree with you, the quality of the maps are quite good anyway. I feel it's worthwhile noting where uvmaxing may not be possible as the current wiki for dtwid-le is just a shell with few details -  https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_the_Way_id_Did:_The_Lost_Episodes .

It might be worth a fix-up given that there's still some latent goofiness with those E5 map names, and also E3M8's co-op troubles. Either way, psyched to see this getting some attention, at any rate!